scanner newbi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbmar2

Hello. I am interested in maybe getting a scanner. I am in the Pickaway county Circleville Ohio area. I am also on a budget. Can you please recommend a scanner for me?

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
MARCS is mostly simulcast, so a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 would be a better choice than any of those.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Neither of those fit the OP above statement.
Unfortunately, if the OP lives in an area of high LSM and he’s unlucky enough to be in that rare position to be in a sweet spot, he might not have any choice but to go the SDS route or something along the lines of a G5. If that ends up being his situation, then doing so “one a budget“ will be more of a case of wishful thinking. I’d rather be proven wrong but I’d hate to see him throw away several hundred dollars on a scanner that‘ll be of limited value to him just because he was dealt a crummy hand for living in the middle of an LSM hellhole. That cash would be better put towards a solution that works in his favor. Maybe he can contact someone in his area who could stop on by his place with a relatively late model scanner just to see if he might be able to get away with a less expensive option.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
MARCS is mostly simulcast, so a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 would be a better choice than any of those.

Completely untrue. The vast majority of MARCS sites are stand-alone sites, not simulcast. The WS1065, BCD996P2, WS1040 or BCD325P2 would work fine for Pickaway County.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The MarcsIP site I monitor in Lorain County is not simulcast...
But the county next to me (Cuyahoga County) is... But I'm far enough away from it that it doesn't affect me...
I have the SDS100 and 200 now...
But before that my BCD436HP and 536 did not have any issues either...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HWG

Bswartz95

I'm in Franklin County and would like to listen to Pickaway County occasionally. Does anyone know if they transmit off of the MARCS towers in either Orient or Lockbourne? The other sites down there are a little farther away from me. I haven't heard anything yet, but maybe there's not much traffic either.

I have no trouble pulling the West Jeff tower for Madison County and the Pataskala tower for Licking County.

In fact, I've recently noticed that Licking County can be heard over the Columbus MARCS towers - true for Pickaway and Madison?

Last edited:

Bswartz95

I'm in Franklin County and would like to listen to Pickaway County occasionally. Does anyone know if they transmit off of the MARCS towers in either Orient or Lockbourne? The other sites down there are a little farther away from me. I haven't heard anything yet, but maybe there's not much traffic either.

I have no trouble pulling the West Jeff tower for Madison County and the Pataskala tower for Licking County.

In fact, I've recently noticed that Licking County can be heard over the Columbus MARCS towers - true for Pickaway and Madison?

Through experimentation, I have found that I can hear Pickaway, Fairfield, Licking, Madison, and Union counties on the Columbus MARCS channels. I did an ID Search and matched up the talkIDs as they transmitted. I actually heard some Richland County too here in Columbus!

edit: I picked up a Wyandot County Sheriff dispatch talk ID on Columbus MARCS! Maybe this is already known? It surprised me! Maybe I can pickup Tuscarawas County on it too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.