Scanner splitter or diplexer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
One cable coming in that has to go to separate scanners, possibly three. What's the best low loss way to split the signals to the receivers?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You will get several on here and talk about smoke and mirrors using TV PARTS that may and may not work but I use what is listed above to feed over 20 scanners off of 1 scanner antenna with no loss and all 20 scanners have the same range as if you unhook everything and just go to 1 scanner. I have tried the TV PARTS with loss and interference between scanners so I spent the money for the parts made to do the job I wanted done.

MTScannerNut

Been very happy with my Stridsberg multicoupler. Initially I installed a cable TV splitter/amp with the required adapters and 75 ohm cable. It worked, but not as well as the multicoupler specifically designed for the task.

Sparky_ND

I'm using an lna, split 4 ways using solid connectors, no coax splitters, and still have gain left from the lna. If you don't have an sdr in the mix you can always use a bias tee power injector or usb power depending on your setup.

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
Why skimp now? Go big or go home. Those Stridesberg multi couplers are a bit pricey but if want to dance, you pay the fiddler. I’ve noticed many listeners use them!

Ubbe

Those Stridesberg multi couplers are a bit pricey
If you want something to quickly and effortless to install it's the way to go but as always when you buy something to solve a problem that someone else have solved for you it will cost. Just connect the mains power adaptor and connect coaxes with BNC connectors and you are done and you pay $200.

The Stridsberg multicouplers will not do nothing to handle SWR in the coax or antenna and have a big internal noise figure of more than 3dB. It could easily overload where it will actually start to reduce sensitivity. It's installed at your scanner so it will not compensate for any coax losses.

If you use a $35 PGA103+ amplifier you will gain 2-3dB just from the noise figure alone. Then add a $10 CATV splitter and a variable attenuator and your done for less than $80 with much higher specs. If you then move the amplifier to the antenna you compensate for SWR losses and coax/adapter losses and gain even more. But it is not for everyone. You will need to know how to connect things together and get the proper connectors and pigtails and so on, but most people will have no problem with that, as long as the variable attenuator at the splitters input are set to give the lowest noise figure in your scanner.

/Ubbe

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Been very happy with my Stridsberg multicoupler. Initially I installed a cable TV splitter/amp with the required adapters and 75 ohm cable.

+1 I've been using Stridsberg "Active" multicouplers for decades and they work great, simple plug'n'play. I have one right now feeding three scanners, full signals on an indoor discone, no noise problems, 100% satisfied!

MCA204M Active 4-port $185

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I agree with everyone with the Stridsberg multicoupler. I have used one for quite some time and have had great results. I do have a 75 ohm cable tv splitter for another antenna but I only use it for my (very) local area scanners, it works but wouldn't use it for anything else. Want quality, spend they money for something good. :)

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, your all a wealth of great knowledge. I'll probably go with Stridsberg. Many opinions lean towards that coupler. Going to order one up after changing to LMR400 or LMR260. Not decided on the coax yet.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I assume you mean LMR-240 (no such thing as LMR-260). Go with LMR400.

The goal is to go with the lowest loss coax that is practical, especially if you plan on splitting the signal with a multi-coupler. Whatever bit of money you might save going with LMR240 vs 400 really won't be worth it in the long run, even with a modest 70' run @ 160 MHz. You're looking at roughly half the loss with 400 vs 240, which can mean the difference between receiving something clearly vs not so much. And of course if you decide you want to listen to UHF or 700/800, the difference in loss is even more pronounced.

"Why skimp now? Go big or go home."

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
Your absolutely right G, For the difference in money, I'll do the 400. Yes, It's 240 not 260. I want to minimize the line loss as much as possible. I didn't realize it that pronounced in the 800's

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to be running LMR400 down. How much loss will I loose splitting the signal to two scanners using 3' of RG59 from the sridsberg 2 port splitter? Is there a better patch cord that I should use because the LMR400 is to rigid to use from the splitters?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do not use RG59. First of all, that's 75 ohm coax and you will have a tough time finding the correct connectors to go from BNC on the multi-coupler to BNC on the scanners (yes, 75 ohm BNC connectors exist for video application, but not ideal for 50 ohm RF applications). If anything, that should be RG58 which is matched 50 ohm coax. RG58 is not the best choice either, however.

I prefer LMR-195 or LMR-200 for short jumpers. High quality cable and flexible enough to go from the multi-coupler to the scanners. Should be very easy to find the lengths you need with BNC connectors on both ends. Keep those jumpers as short as possible and you'll be in good shape.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Use this calculator to find out what the loss would be. I have a feeling you will enjoy having the tools available to help answer your questions.

900mhz

Do not use RG59. First of all, that's 75 ohm coax and you will have a tough time finding the correct connectors to go from BNC on the multi-coupler to BNC on the scanners (yes, 75 ohm BNC connectors exist for video application, but not ideal for 50 ohm RF applications). If anything, that should be RG58 which is matched 50 ohm coax. RG58 is not the best choice either, however.

I prefer LMR-195 or LMR-200 for short jumpers. High quality cable and flexible enough to go from the multi-coupler to the scanners. Should be very easy to find the lengths you need with BNC connectors on both ends. Keep those jumpers as short as possible and you'll be in good shape.
In this case, RG 400 jumpers would fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.