Scanner with transmit capabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maker177

Hi,

I am looking at getting a scanner for listening to Air traffic control, Police, ETC. I am also looking at one that I can be able to use at work and transmit with it.

Are there any types of handheld scanners that can transmit too? I was looking at a Uniden Bearcat BC92XLT, and they told me I could NOT transmit with this scanner (impossible).

How many channels should my scanner be able to hold to find my work channel?

PLEASE recommend me one under $100.

Thanks!

JoeyC

NO scanner transmits. PERIOD.

Some handheld transceivers can be set to scan other freqs or talkgroups within its band but they are by no means scanners.

Maker177

What kind of radio should I be looking at for work then? Do they make them so that they do not transmit so that you can never interfere?

Highpockets

Hi,

I am looking at getting a scanner for listening to Air traffic control, Police, ETC. I am also looking at one that I can be able to use at work and transmit with it.

Are there any types of handheld scanners that can transmit too? I was looking at a Uniden Bearcat BC92XLT, and they told me I could NOT transmit with this scanner (impossible).

Thanks!

Your not giving us much to work with, where do you live, state, county, city, and what do you want to listen to, your work frequency. where do you work? There are all kinds of scanners, from 50-500 dollars, analog/digital. There are radios that can be setup to receive and not transmit, that's why more info is needed.

Maker177

The ones we use at work are analog. I live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I need one that can both receive and transmit. I don't know the frequency though...

Highpockets

The ones we use at work are analog. I live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I need one that can both receive and transmit. I don't know the frequency though...

You'll have to know the frequency, vhf, uhf, 800 then maybe check out ebay and see what's available, you may want a 1 channel, or 16 channel, your work could take up 1 channel, trans&receive, add 15 other freq's to just receive on, set work priority, and scan all the others.
You would have to find someone to program the radio though.

N8IAA

I really think that this should be moved to the radio wasteland;)
Or, better yet, the Canadian forum.

trixwagen

Scanners are just "gateway radios" that lead dabbling listeners straight into the jaws of Ham radio.

There are plenty of transceivers that can be used as crappy, slow, non-trunking, non-digital scanners AND can transmit, though it can't transmit on most of the frequencies it can receive. And to transmit "legally", you need a license.

There COULD be a radio than could receive and scan everything from the Air Bands to 800 MHz and beyond, but even if you could find one, it would not be approved for the general public to use. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense to the powers that be.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Hi,

Thanks!

Who ya plannin' on talking to?

sulk

If the OP just wants to listen to conventional systems, or services, then a ham handheld would work fine.

Many of them have a pretty wide receiving range, though obviously hes gonna have to get a license to transmit. My FT-60R can recieve air traffic, business band, VHF/UHF, etc.

So a ham handheld might be an option. Though obviously he can't listen to trunked conversations.

scanners do not interfere, be cause THEY ARE NOT transmitters

While we're picking nits, that's not necessarily true.

*gasp!* What?!

Anything that runs on electricity transmits RF interference (RFI). If one appliance is generating RF on a particular frequency that another finds itself susceptible to, then it will be noticeable. Generally speaking, though, scanners and other electronics are shielded to prevent/minimize RFI. That's why we use coaxial cable with most of our antennas.

Can a scanner interfere with another radio? Sure, but generally only from an RFI standpoint. Consumer-grade scanner-only radios aren't built with transmitters necessary to make useful transmissions.

Today's consumer-grade ham radios usually can scan other channels and can transmit usefully (in that sense, they ARE scanners that transmit), but the scanner part is usually limited in their function as compared to late-model scanner radios. I'm not aware of any consumer-grade ham radios available to consumer that can track trunked systems. A ham radio can be used (with proper license) to transmit on ham-radio frequencies. It cannot be used legally to transmit on commercial frequencies, even with a commercial license. I'm a big fan of the Yaesu FT-60R.

A commercial-grade radio may also have a scanner in it, but they are usually even more function-limited than ham radios. And they're usually limited to a single band and are not field programmable. OTOH, commercial radios usually have a higher build quality than ham radios and scanners. Their receivers generally perform MUCH better. That, and they can be used to transmit in commercial AND ham bands. In other words, they do less stuff than ham radios and scanners, but they do what they do VERY well. And you can usually program them to not transmit on a per-channel basis. Motorola and Vertex are my favorite manufacturers here.

The bad news: for $50-100 you prolly won't find anything high-performance and recent in the ham and commercial realms. So, if you're not willing to sacrifice features and performance, you're gonna be wishing you had 2 or more radios.

A side note: There are single radios that can "do it all"---Wulfsberg's FlexComm products come to mind. But they are so expensive that there's really no point. Many of these systems are made of individual radios that are tied together, so it's not as elegant as a single-box solution. And, I don't think there's anything like this in a handheld. Yet. :D

HTH

stevolene

Hi,

Thanks!

the way prices are these days youll probably have to go back 20 yrs to find anything under 100 bucks

prcguy

What the OP wants does exist, its just expensive. You can get continuous coverage 30 to 512MHz, 5w AM/FM, 100ch scanning hand helds from Thales and Harris. These are not modified ham wanna be continuous coverage, but purposely designed radios that go everywhere. Thales will also market a version that covers VHF hi-band through 800 soon.
prcguy

KB9NLL

New London (Outagamie Co. WI) & Readfield (waupa
Scanners dont transmit except in a dream I once had. It had every frequency possible. The close call would decode the pl and offset frequency if any or set up trunking so basically I could talk to whoever I was near immediately!

I miss that radio, ha ha....

N8DV

I am wondering if the guy really doesn't know what he will use the scanning radio for, he most likely doesn't need one.

elk2370bruce

If you're trying to get a radio that can transmit for your workplace, ask your employer to provide you with one. If you get a radio that operates on the employer's frequency, it is also wise to obtain permission to do so beforehand. That can avoid (depending on your employer's sense of humor) standing on line at the unemployment office.

Status
Not open for further replies.