ScannerMaster 'RH200' prototype at Hamvention

Ubbe

It only corrupts the SD cards filesystem if you remove the power while it is writing to the card, that it does if you have the user or replay recording enabled and while receiving a call. But as ProScan mention you can force the scanner into mass storage mode to end any recordings, and save all changes that have been done, and then cut the power. It all depends on how much Scannermaster have thought about its RH200 functionality, how it should handle all situations that happens in a vehicle installation. If you have a scanner running and recording a file while you start the engine the voltage could drop considerable and a scanner can reset and will then corrupt the filesystem. There are small 12V UPS boxes for vehicles, discussed in other threads, that would be the preferred way to power a SD card scanner.

I guess you only need to connect one continuous 12V cable and ground and one ignition sense cable and then the scanner, or two, are powered from the breakout box.

There are external devices that have the needed functionality but it should really be built into the breakout box.

/Ubbe

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It'll be interesting to see what their finished product looks like... or if they are reading this thread for ideas/input.

Now the sad consumer reality... no matter what the final price turns out to be, a fair percentage of consumers will avoid the product altogether if they have to purchase and install yet more items, just so they can turn it off safely. Hassle and additional expense will figure into the equation of many people.

Reactions: RRR

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
It'll be interesting to see what their finished product looks like... or if they are reading this thread for ideas/input.

Now the sad consumer reality... no matter what the final price turns out to be, a fair percentage of consumers will avoid the product altogether if they have to purchase and install yet more items, just so they can turn it off safely. Hassle and additional expense will figure into the equation of many people.
I agree. It would be neat if Uniden were gleaning input from this thread. I know the previous Uniden RH-96 didn't sell well. I think the market for remote heads might be a bit better now considering the tight confines of modern vehicles. I do know there's nowhere elegant to put any scanner in my Ford Escape. I am interested in this new RH, but I am curious to see how they overcome some of the stated obstacles.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Will this use the Mini or Micro USB port for the SDS100?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know that you could power through the Micro. That answers my other question.

N9JIG

Sheriff
@N9JIG,
Rich, can you post a picture of the brekout box? Thanks.
The version of the RH-200 prototype I have is USB only and does not have the breakout box, it connects directly via the USB cable. The later prototype (as demonstrated at Dayton last week) is on the way to me, it was used for the demos.

Regardless the whole design is fluid and will look different and more polished when ready for sale.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the RH would function if it is connected to the scanner only by the LAN port. Given the mounting I have, getting to the back of the scanner would be painful.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
This RH-200 is designed perfectly for someone like me.
i.e. -- I can fit 2 SDS200s in my center console. Which means they are within perfect reach for all operations (like power) EXCEPT no viewing of the screen. Viewing NOT control, is the MOST important reason to me to buy this remote head. I will be able to fit 2 RH-200s side by side forward of my gear shift in that open space area. I envision running and SDS200 and a BCT-15x using the new RH-200.
OK Rich you bent my arm, I will beta test them. (y) :D

N9JIG

Sheriff
This RH-200 is designed perfectly for someone like me.
i.e. -- I can fit 2 SDS200s in my center console. Which means they are within perfect reach for all operations (like power) EXCEPT no viewing of the screen. Viewing NOT control, is the MOST important reason to me to buy this remote head. I will be able to fit 2 RH-200s side by side forward of my gear shift in that open space area. I envision running and SDS200 and a BCT-15x using the new RH-200.
OK Rich you bent my arm, I will beta test them. (y) :D
I will have a pair sent to you right away, right after the other few hundred or so requests are fulfilled. :LOL:

On a more serious note; the display is obviously the best part. I am sure you all are going to love that! On my beta unit it views nicely and the unit is small enough to be positioned with a great viewing angle.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see or hear Rich Barnett give the dimensions of the control head, so can you post them? Also, is the control cable proprietary or a regular Ethernet cable?

Thanks.

I will have a pair sent to you right away, right after the other few hundred or so requests are fulfilled. :LOL:

On a more serious note; the display is obviously the best part. I am sure you all are going to love that! On my beta unit it views nicely and the unit is small enough to be positioned with a great viewing angle.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I didn't see or hear Rich Barnett give the dimensions of the control head, so can you post them? Also, is the control cable proprietary or a regular Ethernet cable?

Thanks.
None of the measurements are finalized, but assume the screen to be about 3.5" x 2.5" and some sort of chin for the knobs etc. This can change however so don't bank on it yet.

We hope to keep the cables generic to allow for people to easily select the one that fits their usage case (as per length and connector angles etc.) but again, for now the final decisions have yet to be made.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That's close enough for me to get an idea of where and how it will fit.

None of the measurements are finalized, but assume the screen to be about 3.5" x 2.5" and some sort of chin for the knobs etc. This can change however so don't bank on it yet.

We hope to keep the cables generic to allow for people to easily select the one that fits their usage case (as per length and connector angles etc.) but again, for now the final decisions have yet to be made.

Ubbe

I will be able to fit 2 RH-200s side by side forward of my gear shift in that open space area. I envision running and SDS200 and a BCT-15x using the new RH-200.
It supports two scanners that you can switch the display between. Hopefully the software will allow a priority configuration that the last scanner that unmutes will be the one that are displayed. It could have a soft button to temporarily mute the secondary scanner for 2 minutes, like a HP-1/2 scanner. But who knows how much thought that have gone into the RH200 at this early stage. But it's only software so can always be improved on by software upgrades.

I would prefer Uniden to update their Siren app and then any modern Uniden scanner can have a WiFi module attached to its USB port and be remotely controlled. You will then have a touch controlled panel and scanner display in any mobile phone or pad. Mobile phones are already designed to be used in a mobile environment, like display backlight and contrast that adapt to the envinroment light when the sun shines and when you enter a tunnel. I hope that RH200 also have a photo cell to adapt to the changing light in a vehicle at daytime and night time.
Ideally there should be a mic that sense the average background sound level, to increase volume when at highway speeds and turn down the volume when standing at a stop light.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
You just can't seem to resist adding options that will increase the cost. It would be nice if the touch screen has the function to change the brightness level and if there is a way for the automobile headlight control to be carried over, but they clearly aren't deal breakers. Now is having to adjust the volume.

It would have been very nice if Uniden had continued to develop Siren or at the least released the source code so others could work to improve it and adapt it to the SDS scanners. I don't expect that to happen and Siren appears to have been orphaned.

It supports two scanners that you can switch the display between. Hopefully the software will allow a priority configuration that the last scanner that unmutes will be the one that are displayed. It could have a soft button to temporarily mute the secondary scanner for 2 minutes, like a HP-1/2 scanner. But who knows how much thought that have gone into the RH200 at this early stage. But it's only software so can always be improved on by software upgrades.

I would prefer Uniden to update their Siren app and then any modern Uniden scanner can have a WiFi module attached to its USB port and be remotely controlled. You will then have a touch controlled panel and scanner display in any mobile phone or pad. Mobile phones are already designed to be used in a mobile environment, like display backlight and contrast that adapt to the envinroment light when the sun shines and when you enter a tunnel. I hope that RH200 also have a photo cell to adapt to the changing light in a vehicle at daytime and night time.
Ideally there should be a mic that sense the average background sound level, to increase volume when at highway speeds and turn down the volume when standing at a stop light.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

You just can't seem to resist adding options that will increase the cost.
It's probably one single guy doing the software and coders usually isn't the ones that have bright ideas, so he will need some inputs to stimulate he's creative side. The more usable features there are the more attractive the final product will be and will sell in greater numbers that will pay for any extra coding time. The code to have a priority function to switch the display to show the last active scanner are a 5 minute job even for a junior coder. As long as the hardware are in place, it is the most expensive part and will cost the same for each device regardless of how many are sold, then software time are cheap and will be spread among all devices that can be sold.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
Just remember, it's only help if it actually helps.

It's probably one single guy doing the software and coders usually isn't the ones that have bright ideas, so he will need some inputs to stimulate he's creative side. The more usable features there are the more attractive the final product will be and will sell in greater numbers that will pay for any extra coding time. The code to have a priority function to switch the display to show the last active scanner are a 5 minute job even for a junior coder. As long as the hardware are in place, it is the most expensive part and will cost the same for each device regardless of how many are sold, then software time are cheap and will be spread among all devices that can be sold.

/Ubbe