ScannerMaster 'RH200' prototype at Hamvention

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Hope the display is brighter than the one that comes on the SDS200’s. My SDS100 is so much brighter than the SDS200.

You get all kinds of varying light conditions in a mobile environment, that you don’t get indoors.

And hoping the power-down through the scanner will work properly. If it can properly shut it down (Let it go through the shutdown sequence) then they have just hit a home run! I used the “replay mode” almost always. Record, not so much.

Considering SDS200’s are going (new) from anywhere between $500 and $700, I would hope the price point for this aftermarket equipment would be no more that 1/3 of the price of the scanner itself.
Glad to have these things pop up here and there. Keeps these units relevant, and keeps interest up as well. Keep up the good work!

MStep

"........Considering SDS200’s are going (new) from anywhere between $500 and $700, I would hope the price point for this aftermarket equipment would be no more that 1/3 of the price of the scanner itself......"

I think that's wishful thinking. I would certainly be surprised if the cost of this unit was not as much as, if not more than, a new SDS200. When you consider the amount of development, engineering and manufacturing that has to go into this type of aftermarket device, along with all the subsequent support in keeping up with software, firmware or hardware updates both in the SDS200, and the device itself, I would tend to err toward the more costly side.

Nevertheless, if this remote head turns out to be "plug and play", in which you could easily transport the head to each vehicle which has a well-concealed SDS200 mounted within, it could certainly be worth the high price-tag.

Time will tell.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think it will be a hard sell if it costs as much or more as a SDS scanner. Rich Barnett has been down this road before with the RSC-1 for the 780XLT. He spent a lot of time and money making a remote head kit that was almost an exact copy of the 780XLT face plate. Maybe it actually WAS an exact copy.

You can still find the pages from the Scanner Master website if you search.

This seems to be a much different approach even though the display looks very much like the SDS scanner. Manufacturing techniques have changed a lot since the RSC-1 was designed and built.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I think it will be a hard sell if it costs as much or more as a SDS scanner. Rich Barnett has been down this road before with the RSC-1 for the 780XLT. He spent a lot of time and money making a remote head kit that was almost an exact copy of the 780XLT face plate. Maybe it actually WAS an exact copy.

You can still find the pages from the Scanner Master website if you search.

This seems to be a much different approach even though the display looks very much like the SDS scanner. Manufacturing techniques have changed a lot since the RSC-1 was designed and built.
The 780/785/796 compatible RSC-1 remote head kit actually used the original front panel of the subject radio, the owner would disassemble the front of the radio, install a back panel and a front panel on the radio itself. There was some soldering and ribbon cable work involved.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yet it was still listed at $495.00 back in the mid 2000s even though the guts were from the scanner itself. This design is different and I hope the price point is better.

The 780/785/796 compatible RSC-1 remote head kit actually used the original front panel of the subject radio, the owner would disassemble the front of the radio, install a back panel and a front panel on the radio itself. There was some soldering and ribbon cable work involved.

Reactions: RRR

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Yet it was still listed at $495.00 back in the mid 2000s even though the guts were from the scanner itself. This design is different and I hope the price point is better.
I think $500 - $600 is going to be around the price...I would love them to be $200, I would take 5 right off the bat

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
Reminds me of this: ZUM Radio M5Stack Display

ZUM Radio M5Stack Display​

H0-018390A.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Just stumbled across this thread. This looks great! Will meet a need for many people. Looking forward to seeing the finished, refined product. However, cost will be the deciding factor for a vast majority. Of course. If it's much over $300 it will be harder for folks to justify. Some will grab it regardless, but I'm speaking 'most'. As with anything, delicate balance between cost of goods sold and retail.

Set the price at $500 and sell 500 of them = $250,000 in sales
Set the price at $300 and sell 3,500 of them = $1,050,000 in sales

Here's hoping they're reasonable in their pricing.

mancow

Database Admin
Pricing was a hangup for me. The pandemic shortage along with the inability to purchase large parts quantity at wholesale pricing really hurt. Factoring in development, testing, construction time it's not difficult to end up working for free or at a loss.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I don't think price is a big deal to everyone. The average person doesn't plunk down $650-$700 for a scanner unless they are a true hobbyist, or money isn't an issue. A true hobbyist would not think twice about about a couple of hundred bucks if it let's them do what they want and elevates their enjoyment. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I remember it wasn't cheap.

I can imagine two things affecting sales...

1) If it needs to go through a lengthy shutdown procedure to protect an SD card, that could be troublesome for people that just want to turn off the ignition and get out of the car. If everything is burned into an EEPROM, no problem.

2) The dreaded "E". If ones scanner hobby is negatively impacted due to encryption, they may reevaluate whether it's worth it.

Ubbe

A true hobbyist would not think twice about about a couple of hundred bucks

1) If it needs to go through a lengthy shutdown procedure to protect an SD card
The RH200 are probably a $399 or a $499 device but as it supports two Uniden scanners you can think of it as $199 for each scanner. The breakout box for sure must be connected to continuous 12V battery and then use a ignition sense wire to be able to power down correctly, and power up automatically.

It wouldn't even be possible to offer a $299 barebone single scanner option, as in the demo with only a display panel directly connected to the scanner without the breakout box and without speakers in the control panel.

A SDS200 are more of a base scanner than a mobile and are difficult to install in most vehicles, so have it tucked away under the seat or similar are a must and then a much smaller control panel can and have to be used as there's no WiFi feature that allows a simple phone app to be used as a controller, like the BCD536 has.

As they decided to make it compatible with most Uniden scanners will probably save it from going the same way as their RH780 project.

/Ubbe

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
i have a remote head for the 996 series. paid about $200 for it 10-12 years ago. Works nice. This is a game changer. really hoping they make this a reality. Any idea when it will be released?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The average person doesn't plunk down $650-$700 for a scanner unless they are a true hobbyist, or money isn't an issue. A true hobbyist would not think twice about about a couple of hundred bucks if it let's them do what they want and elevates their enjoyment.

I don't disagree. A couple of hundred won't be an issue. But I believe if it's $400 or $500 more, some will hesitate or bypass it all together. Even if they want it. But we'll see.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Impressive looking! But the screen size doesn’t look any bigger than the SDS200 model. I realize there are differing ways to approach the development of a remote display and this approach appears to have been born out of a concern for space. It’s overall size is smaller then the SDS200, thereby allowing more choices on where and how to park it in todays vehicles. Another development approach would be out of a concern to make the display larger and keep it within the dimensions of the SDS200’s entire front panel, allowing for larger alpha-numerics. But I suppose there’s more call to provide a remote head that is easier to place in the vehicle because its overall size is smaller than the SDS200, giving us more places where it will fit… the use of cup holders, as shown in the video are also a great selling point. (Although I have heard of a mounting arrangement that used both cup holders to hold the SDS200.) Personally, I have my SDS200 sitting atop the dash in the glove tray Ford provides in the F-150. So, I won’t be biting for the RH200 at any price. What I’d like to see ideally is the ability to use the truck’s video display panel. That would definitely be something. But I doubt that is going to happen.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
What I’d like to see ideally is the ability to use the truck’s video display panel. That would definitely be something. But I doubt that is going to happen.

Yesssssss!

It makes me wonder if a "USB Y-cable arrangement" could ever be devised that would interface the SDS 100 or 200 to an APP on a cell phone that would work with Android Auto. IF such is possible, it would certainly be less expensive (only cable and software) and there would be no installation hassles with a remote head or something visible for a criminal to steal. I'd buy it!