Scanning help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronyo

I have this Uniden BC278CLT scanner for years now but never used it.
Today is the first time I turned it on.
I got few frequencies from the web of police and fire in my town and start scanning.
It will scan an stop on a frequency but there is no audio only white noise.
My question,
1. Is my scanner too old for this?
2. Do they still use analog communications or it is all digital?
3. Do I have the correct frequencies? Where is the best place to get the current frequencies?

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
With out knowing what frequencies you have or what city or county you are trying listen to, it will be hard to answer your questions.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That scanner technology is over 15 years old. Radio technology has come a long, long way since then with the advent of trunked systems, digital systems, and most systems operating in narrow band.

The noise you are hearing is probably digital. As stated above more information is needed to be sure.

Aside from public safety you should be able to receive weather, aviation, marine, some railroad, business (maybe) and amateur VHF/UHF.

Last edited:

DickH

3. Do I have the correct frequencies? Where is the best place to get the current frequencies?

Go to the top of this page. Right under the large RADIOREFERENCE click on Database.

Ronyo

I'm in the Los Angeles area and this is some of the frequencies I got:

wtp

p-25

it seems most of the frequencies that you posted were P-25. that means digital so you will need a digital scanner to hear them. it will open up a new world for you. the radios are really computers that receive radio frequencies. the really old days of crystals are gone the old days of scanner channels are almost gone. now you put a freq into a system folder. but don't worry there are many here who will help. i would (and have) re-purpose the old radio for other areas to scan, like ham radio,local businesses, airplanes.

Ronyo

it seems most of the frequencies that you posted were P-25. that means digital so you will need a digital scanner to hear them. it will open up a new world for you. the radios are really computers that receive radio frequencies. the really old days of crystals are gone the old days of scanner channels are almost gone. now you put a freq into a system folder. but don't worry there are many here who will help. i would (and have) re-purpose the old radio for other areas to scan, like ham radio,local businesses, airplanes.

Great,
Does "re-purpose" means to modify the scanner? or am I already able to listen to HAM radio?

N8IAA

Great,
Does "re-purpose" means to modify the scanner? or am I already able to listen to HAM radio?

No modifications necessary. The radio has a search range just for ham frequencies. I believe it does VHF air also.
Larry

Ronyo

So is it possible to listen to police and fire today? or it's all digitally encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.