Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

patcarty2

Guys,
I can do a service search with no problem. But, when I do a custom search and store, even though there is radio traffic, the scanner does not stop on the active freq. Annten is off. Modulation is correct as is the step.
Any ideas Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.

Pat. (UK)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
During search and store, the scanner does exactly that...it searches and stores. Once it detects reception (which takes a few mS) and stores the frequency and settings (which takes a few mS), it resumes searching.

After search and store is complete (or if you stop it before it hits the limit you set), press SCAN. The scanner will now scan the channels stored during the search and store process.

If you want to hear each detected transmission at the time of detection, use Custom Search (rather than Search and Store) and press E to store any frequency of interest.

(Since only a couple of scanners have this feature, it didn't matter this time, but in the future you might want to include the model you have. You have a BCD396T, BR330T, BC246T, SC230 or BCD996T...some questions you ask, it might matter which one.)

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Pat, I have the 330T and I just run Custom Search without Auto Search/Store.

Set the DELAY time to the maximum, which I think is 5 sec (Paul, can't we have a "stop on the frequency and don't restart until I press a button" option?). It'll give you chance to either save the freq or just note it down.

patcarty2

Guys,
Thank you both for your advice.
However, my problem is when searching it does not detect any signal - even when one is present!
Pat

mciupa

Review your Lock-Outs .
How's the antenna connection ? .. solid ?

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Pat,

If you're using Search and Store then it will not stop.

Do a custom search (presumably you're searching mil-air), but try another band where you know there are signals. Don't put it into S+S, but just a normal search, see if it stops. Also, make sure you have "Data skip" disabled (Srch + CC Opts).

kd4e

Help With BR330T Programming

> Just added Hernando and Pasco mem files in the file section,if anyone
> needs them....enjoy

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BR330T/files/%20Hernando%2C%20Pasco/>

Finally downloaded ARC330 and Imported the Hernando and Pasco files
and don't see anything specific to Hernando or Pasco.

I see Progress Energy and others. Could ARC330 be misreading?

Can anyone familiar with ARC330 and the BR330T provide some assistance, please?

Help? Please?

73, doc kd4e

John_M

kd4e Wrote:

> Just added Hernando and Pasco mem files in the file section,if anyone
> needs them....enjoy

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BR330T/files/%20Hernando%2C%20Pasco/>

Finally downloaded ARC330 and Imported the Hernando and Pasco files
and don't see anything specific to Hernando or Pasco.

I see Progress Energy and others. Could ARC330 be misreading?

Can anyone familiar with ARC330 and the BR330T provide some assistance, please?

Help? Please?

73, doc kd4e

KD4E, Post this same question in the software discussion forum.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
John_M said:
Napalm Wrote:

During a custom search you can press the hold button.

Really? :D </sarcasm>

No, I want it to stop automagically WITHOUT me needing to be there.

patcarty2

Guys, maybe I am not explaining my problem very well.

When there is active radio traffic which is within range, (located with another scanner) my 396 does not locate the freq and stop whilst in "custom search". It does however find freqs in "service Search".
Again, any ideas?
Pat

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ah, you originally said "search and store" which is what is throwing everyone onto the wrong scent.

I'd check (as someone else mentioned) search lockouts. Also check your Broadcast Screen settings to be sure that you haven't blocked the range you are searching.

Hmmm, maybe also make sure you haven't turned on "Control Channel Only" for the search range and that attenuation is off. Also, be sure that the "P25 Threshold" isn't set to "0" (Auto is going to work best for searching).

Make sure MOD (modulation) is set correctly for the range.

Last edited:

patcarty2

search problem

Thanks Upman.
Sorry about the search and store reference, but my probem is in both search and store and in custom search.
I have ensured all your points are covered but it still does not find an active freq, except when I do a service search.
It is starting to drive me mad as there is no mil band in service search. Maybe I have done something wrong in setting up custom search but i have it as:
To: 399.
Delay:5
Mod: Auto
Atten:Off
Data Skip: Off
Step: 12.5khz
C-Ch only: Off (what ever that is)
P25 level: Auto (again not sure what that is for)

Again any ideas?
Pat.

rs96

C-h is the controll chanell

P25 level is the Progect 25(apco 25 Digatal)

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
patcarty2 said:
Thanks Upman.
Sorry about the search and store reference, but my probem is in both search and store and in custom search.
I have ensured all your points are covered but it still does not find an active freq, except when I do a service search.
It is starting to drive me mad as there is no mil band in service search. Maybe I have done something wrong in setting up custom search but i have it as:
To: 399.
Delay:5
Mod: Auto
Atten:Off
Data Skip: Off
Step: 12.5khz

Again any ideas?
Pat.

Pat,

Couple of things. Set modulation to AM. Step 25kHz (though I don't suppose it matters). Mil-service search sucked on my 330T anyway, I think it used 50kHz steps which is useless in the UK.

I take it you've bought a BC396?

patcarty2

Napalm,
Sorry abouit the delay. I have been at an air show in Ireland.
Yep, got a BCD396T.
I am begining to think the 396 will not find an active freq in search mode if that freq is already in a group in ther scanner else where. Is that correct?
Pat.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Ok even if that frequency is in your memories already, it will still stop and find it (unless you're doing a seach and store).

But, my Uniden 330T actually had the same problem as your 396 yesterday. It wouldn't find anything unless I tuned to it manually. Search just didn't work.

I assumed I'd messed something up in the menu (there are a LOT of options) so I did a full reset (press HOLD, 2, 9 while turning the scanner on) and from there it worked (note: Don't select "Yes" when it asks to preload some information into the scanner).

Save a backup of your memories first.

patcarty2

Napalm,
I finally got round to doing a reboot like you recommended. It worked and I can now search the mil air band.
No idea what the problem was, but thank you for the suggestion.
Pat Carty (UK)

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Hi Pat,

No problems, glad you got it sorted - again no idea why it does that, but it happened to mine.

I suppose with there being a lot of things going on inside that CPU, one setting could have done something to upset it.

I hope your 396 does well on UHF Air :)

Status
Not open for further replies.