SDS100/SDS200: Scratched Display on my SDS100 - Advice Needed: Replacement part available or DIY fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerosix

So I recently bought an SDS-100 scanner from E-bay. Unfortunately with no returns accepted. It was a decent price, but the previous owner seemed to have scratched up the display pretty bad and it wasn't properly showing in the low-res pictures.

Most info is readable, but some parts are not. I am somewhat knowledgeable with repairing electronics and would like to know;

1. The front panel is probably just an extra transparent (plastic) layer on top of the actual display right?
2. Is there any known place where I can buy a replacement part or use some general screen plastic and cut it into the right size? (assuming the LCD and the plastic are not glued together)
3. Does anyone know of a way to remove scratches from the display with a certain product? (for example scratch removal products)

I would like to have some input/advice from others. Especially those who may have done a similar repair. Thanks in advance!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If it’s anything like their previous BCD436HP handheld, it’s not just a one piece swap out. They sent me an assembly because in order to get the piece it’s the only way they came. Hope you have better luck.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If it’s anything like their previous BCD436HP handheld, it’s not just a one piece swap out. They sent me an assembly because in order to get the piece it’s the only way they came. Hope you have better luck.
I should add my experience getting the part(s) for the 436 was a long, drawn out process. Uniden repair is where I kept getting referred to and they kept telling me to send it in for repair, seems they didn’t have a parts dept per-say. So I wrote Uniden America in Texas and kicked it upstairs. I explained I didn’t have a need for a repair, just wanted to have the parts on hand should I sell the scanner at a later date and wanted to put it back in new condition ascetically. To that end, I wanted a new, entire outside case (front, back, the display window and a new button overlay). They sent all I asked for, WITHOUT CHARGE, with a note explaining they were sorry for any inconvenience I may have experienced and having no billing system in place to accommodate for the price of just the parts without repair, but no explanation of why they didn’t have a parts dept where we could buy replacement parts. I suppose it’s some sort of efficiency process they practice. But I still have some questions about their practice. For example, how do they bill out parts ordered by independent stateside radio repair facilities like ICOM uses to repair their radios here in the US? A suggestion, something I never followed up on; contact one of the independent stateside repair facilities ICOM uses (there are two I know of, one on the east coast and one in Detroit-they work on all kinds of radios) and ask them how they get their needed parts from Uniden.

zerosix

I contacted some stores/distributors; apparently the plastic display (which is part of the front cover) can theoretically be replaced quite easily but uniden only provides the entire front panel which includes a new keypad, front housing, speaker, etc.
of course, I would not necessarily need that. I will try to reach out to Uniden directly.

I should add my experience getting the part(s) for the 436 was a long, drawn out process. Uniden repair is where I kept getting referred to and they kept telling me to send it in for repair, seems they didn’t have a parts dept per-say. So I wrote Uniden America in Texas and kicked it upstairs. I explained I didn’t have a need for a repair, just wanted to have the parts on hand should I sell the scanner at a later date and wanted to put it back in new condition ascetically. To that end, I wanted a new, entire outside case (front, back, the display window and a new button overlay). They sent all I asked for, WITHOUT CHARGE, with a note explaining they were sorry for any inconvenience I may have experienced and having no billing system in place to accommodate for the price of just the parts without repair, but no explanation of why they didn’t have a parts dept where we could buy replacement parts. I suppose it’s some sort of efficiency process they practice. But I still have some questions about their practice. For example, how do they bill out parts ordered by independent stateside radio repair facilities like ICOM uses to repair their radios here in the US? A suggestion, something I never followed up on; contact one of the independent stateside repair facilities ICOM uses (there are two I know of, one on the east coast and one in Detroit-they work on all kinds of radios) and ask them how they get their needed parts from Uniden.
Thanks for the info, I will definitely try a few different locations. The whole panel seems to be available but it is quite expensive and includes things I do not need replaced. Everything looks new except for the scratches on the plastic display.

Tooth paste polishes plastic well.

RainX has a headlight restore kit.

That might be a genius idea. It could also make it worse of course, but since I now know it IS replaceable (although expensive) I might give it a try. I can always order a new front panel when I really mess up the plastic.

zerosix

its a relief to read about the good experiences with PlastX and similar products. I will give it a try in two days when I receive the polishing products.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Mask off the radio with masking tape so that the polishing medium does not migrate to the case or buttons [it's a PITx to remove out of nooks]. Take a microfiber cloth and place a small amount of polish on it. Rub it into the cloth. Then carefully polish the window using light finger pressure. Check your work every 3 to 5 minutes and repeat as needed.

DO NOT use powered tools to do this work - you can create permanent dips and waves in the display.

I used Novus polishes to take out scratches out of my plastic motorcycle windscreen and helmet faceshield. It works well.

MStep

I would just use the radio without fear of further damage, and then if something else goes wrong, send it back for full repair. I learned a long time ago that while it is cool to try to keep your equipment looking nice, these units (especially the portable devices) are going to get scratched, dinged and donged. It's very hard to "sanctify" a portable device and keep it in its virgin condition if it's getting bounced around all day.

Just one man's opinion.

As mentioned above... Meguiars Plast-X and Flitz
I've had great success with both products.

On items needing a little more TLC, I have used a Dremel and one of their polishing pads with either product mentioned above. No complaints.
Just be careful and not use too high of a speed.

zerosix

I would just use the radio without fear of further damage, and then if something else goes wrong, send it back for full repair. I learned a long time ago that while it is cool to try to keep your equipment looking nice, these units (especially the portable devices) are going to get scratched, dinged and donged. It's very hard to "sanctify" a portable device and keep it in its virgin condition if it's getting bounced around all day.

Just one man's opinion.

I usually agree with your sentiment, however I was not notified of any screen damage when I bought the item. It’s not just an aesthetic issue for me, I want to utilize the full screen estate with ease. There are cheap screen protectors for this scanner, so there is not much of an excuse not to protect the screen since it’s quite prone to scratches. I am okay with wear and tear on the casing or keypad, but the screen is quite essential for me.

zerosix

As promised, here is my update;

The products mentioned in the thread worked as expected. The scratches in the display are not totally gone, but its much less of a problem now.

Readability of the screen went from 60% to a solid 90% so I am quite happy.

thanks everyone for the useful information

N0MLP

Premium Subscriber
If none of the other plastic polishing products work, I'll throw another out there that I have used multiple times and worked very well. It's called Polywatch, primarily used to polish the crystals (plastic/acrylic) on watches. Works great for display plastics. same care should be taken as above though and use a microfiber cloth. Good Luck.

zerosix

If none of the other plastic polishing products work, I'll throw another out there that I have used multiple times and worked very well. It's called Polywatch, primarily used to polish the crystals (plastic/acrylic) on watches. Works great for display plastics. same care should be taken as above though and use a microfiber cloth. Good Luck.

thanks for throwing in your suggestion! I’ll be sure to check it out.

wtp

i had heard to try car wax/any wax.
that was for motorcycle helmets.
another thing is to hook it up as a base to a computer and take away the need to look at it.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Tooth paste polishes plastic well.

RainX has a headlight restore kit.
Excellent suggestions, BUT--I've learned the hard way that different brands of tooth paste have different levels of abrasion.
I've had good success some years ago with a plastic polishing / restoration kit for plastic fish aquariums. It came with a mild abrasive to remove the scratches and a much finer polishing compound to restore the gloss.

I'd also recommend masking off the rest of the scanner face to prevent the cleaning compounds from getting into keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.