SDR Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shifty21

I hope to do the same. I've got two on order. I'm hoping my netbook will manage it. Did you purchase a different antenna then what came with the dongles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mciupa

I hope to do the same. I've got two on order. I'm hoping my netbook will manage it. Did you purchase a different antenna then what came with the dongles?

Your netbook will probably be fine. I have a flea powered (1GB RAM) Acer running Windows 7 Starter and I will have DMR Decode b74 and DSD 1.6 running simultaneously. Or, I'll run Unitrunker and Trunk88 with no problems.

I did purchase an MCX to BNC adaptor to hook up to my Scantenna 2. Adaptor cables are cheap ($5) so buy 2 - 3 in case one fails through wear and tear. That way you can be up and running again in two seconds in case the cable frays :)

joeuser

The Wretched

Yes, BUT - the included antennas do a fair job at the 1090MHz, better than my Discone was doing. A better antenna will only increase your range & listening. I now use my dongles on my Discone with a splitter & only because the tower is about ¼ mile away - so I don't lose much strength on the split.

shifty21

Netbook didn't have enough CPU power. It's an Acer Aspire Once with the Atom processor. The program loads and runs but the audio is extremely choppy. The antenna that came with the dongle does pickup some frequencies but I can't seem to receive NOAA audio broadcasts. I need to pickup another.

joeuser

The Wretched
You might be able to trim down services & other stuff to increase performance, were u using SDR#?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

shifty21

Had it to minimum processes running. Disabled wifi and killed AV. I was using sharp. It runs, just very choppy.

S

screamin72

If your chopping lower your sample rate to 1.44msps in config of SDR#. 2.88msps is kind of flaky.

joeuser

The Wretched
SDR# is a resource hog. I ditched it & just went with Unitrunker & DSD+ I know you can turn down the resolution of the waterfall display for added performance. I would only turn it up when I had to get on center etc & once done turned it way down, when I did use SDR# anyway

S

screamin72

Its probably even better to trim it down further to like 1.02msps or lower. I am on a older machine a single core running SDR# 1304 with wide FM Stereo at 1.44msps 512 resolution on the FFT also trimmed down audio from 48khz to 22050, 44100 is alright as well. Use direct sound not Microsoft Sound mapper. Max cpu usage is 73%. Figured that out by watching process monitor for 5 minutes.

Cpu is a single core Pentium M @1.73ghz, 1GB ram a Dell Latitude D610 laptop ATI X300 64mb ram. 533mhz FSB rated PCIe 1.0 or 1.1 (cannot remember) architecture.

No issue.

If you Google Black Viper Windows 7 service files then when you're on his page download the Safe services zip file extract run the reg file then reboot. I am not guaranteeing that it works for some and may not work for some. Turning services off doesn't really gain a whole lot but it could. Depends on how much you have loaded with windows. If you have 3 or more icons by your clock then maybe not enough to just turn off services.

I had to adapt my first time learning software defined radio. What is going on is your CPU is constantly decoding radio samples in real time from the RTL dongle. The wider the sample rate the more the cpu cycles. SDR# is built on net framework 3.5 and that alone adds to the processes because SDR# literally pushes .net framework hard. Its probably the purest sdr windows software. HDSDR works well and way lighter and it has no prerequisites other than a EXTIO dll file for the rtl dongle. This is found and downloaded from HDSDR's website in the hardware section. Easy find. Put it into the HDSDR installation folder thats all.

This is why I use the same tactics for gaming to free some resources for software defined radio. Lighten it but don't break it!

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
Killing services not needed does help. It makes a difference. Tweaked might be an option also, esp. if this system is just going to run SDR. Not sure about Bare Bones though, I use something similar for my stand alone gaming systems. You can tailor to your own needs. Older systems do well with XP than a newer OS like 7. Just would do email or web browsing with XP!

dano3131

SDR DVT

Thanks Gentlemen......I havent been this impatient in a long time. Its shipping from Chattanooga Tenn. and im in the s/e Cali desert....so we will see.

Do you have yours up and running on the local 800 system? IF so or not can you private message me?

TKS

dano3131

SDR

takedownman5150 James?

DID YOU GET YOUR SDR TO WORK ON: ( 470F) YES or NO? If not I can help if you will share data file after you run it. Or all just move several scanners to the valley floor and feed it better with my resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.