SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

HarbingerSe7en

Premium Subscriber
@thewraith2008 I'm currently using your latest update for the scanner plugin (v1.3.5.0) and it is fantastic. Thank you for the work you've put into it.

I would also like to echo @Mr_Xxx with the request for a log of some kind as I would like to use the plugin for analysis and to determine signals of interest. A delimited .txt file that includes channels from the activity list would be perfect if you are able to make it work and selectable options for information output would be icing on the cake but not necessary. However instead of number of hits, just a new entry added for every time a signal is active. The goal is to be able to import the file into Excel to create pivot tables/charts to catalog signal activity over time.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What's the trick to keep center tuning activated? Keep setting it for center and as soon as freq scanner stops on an active freq it goes to free tuning.

thewraith2008

Hi @thewraith2008 , any chance that you did got back into it? :)

if not, no problem , just wondering if.... ( activity logger )

again thks for all the updates you did and do !!
@thewraith2008 I'm currently using your latest update for the scanner plugin (v1.3.5.0) and it is fantastic. Thank you for the work you've put into it.

I would also like to echo @Mr_Xxx with the request for a log of some kind as I would like to use the plugin for analysis and to determine signals of interest. A delimited .txt file that includes channels from the activity list would be perfect if you are able to make it work and selectable options for information output would be icing on the cake but not necessary. However instead of number of hits, just a new entry added for every time a signal is active. The goal is to be able to import the file into Excel to create pivot tables/charts to catalog signal activity over time.

I have added logging as per the quote below, but have not released it because I'm not sure if it's 100%
I don't really have time to test it out.
Added: Logging for when a frequency becomes active during a scan.
- Enable in 'Configure' > Logging
- Logging is to a .CSV file (delimited text file)
Custom save path can be set for CSV file
Filename is preset to 'yyyy_mm_dd_activity.csv'
- This means all activity is placed in a daily file and will automatically change filename on new day
The delimiter can be custom set [default is ';']
A number of elements can be used in the CSV log file by using one of the following keywords:
- date, time, freq_hz, freq_mhz, detector, name, hits, "any text"
This rule is set in 'Configure' > Logging
NOTE: 'hits' is to show number of hits this frequency has seen to this point.

Added: Show frequency activity 'hits' in Channel analyser
- Enable in 'Configure' > Channel analyser > 'Show session hits (for frequency activity)'
Only for each session. ('Stop scan' will clear sessions hit counter)
' [x]' will be appended to frequency details line shown in channel analyser for both active frequency
and where mouse points.

What's the trick to keep center tuning activated? Keep setting it for center and as soon as freq scanner stops on an active freq it goes to free tuning.
The plug-in scans a frequency range in segments.
A segment is channelized and is roughly a dongle bandwidth but can depend on step size used.
These segments are centered so each segment is back to back to cover the range defined.
When a segment is tuned (centered), the VFO needs to be able to tune to anywhere in that segment so it can detect a active frequencies.
Center tuning would prevent that.

Latest version (v1.3.5.0) can be found here: Release post

mancow

Database Admin
I run SDR# every day searching for something, usually lowband or milair. I would definitely like to test it for you.

Last edited:

Warlord21

Hey when you add dynamic range it is to the plugin

It is in a early version of frequentie scanner

thewraith2008

I will not add dynamic noise floor.

Here is why:
Mr8KBW6.png

Why add something that will be missing signals all over the place.

Latest version (v1.4.0.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

causeway74

Hi, anyone else having issues with the latest version of plugin? I have been using with logging enabled and I noticed that the scanner was stopping on many more frequencies than before (noise), as if the red line was actually set too low. The red-line level wasn't changed. I have to turn this up further in order to stop this from happening. What I also noticed was that all my recordings via audio recorder were about 29 secs (corresponds to the skip time) - this makes sense given the scanner stopping where it didn't before, and not resuming properly.

Would this be linked to the logging settings perhaps? Don't see anything else in the change log.

causeway74

Hi, anyone else having issues with the latest version of plugin? I have been using with logging enabled and I noticed that the scanner was stopping on many more frequencies than before (noise), as if the red line was actually set too low. The red-line level wasn't changed. I have to turn this up further in order to stop this from happening. What I also noticed was that all my recordings via audio recorder were about 29 secs (corresponds to the skip time) - this makes sense given the scanner stopping where it didn't before, and not resuming properly.

Would this be linked to the logging settings perhaps? Don't see anything else in the change log.

I just reset everything and tried with different versions. 1.3.2.0 is fine, but as soon as I go to 1.3.5.0 the problem is introduced.

As soon as I started scanning I noticed maybe 4 or 5 noisy frequencies that had to be locked out (but hadn't been in any previous scans in the last weeks). If I land on a valid frequency the scanner stops fine, but it seems to hold on the frequency for a period (not related to wait time) and the squelch isn't closed. This causes the recording to continue.

Perhaps this is something related to the 'Detect channel only center frequency' changes?

thewraith2008

I doubt the logging would cause this type of issue, in any case you can disable it in the options to test.

If you see an issue between v1.3.2.0 and 1.3.5.0 (The latest version is v1.4.0.0) the main thing that was changed was the option:
'Detect channel only center frequency (default all bandwidth)' was changed to 'Channel bandwidth for signal level detection'.
What value is this set too? If 100% try something lower. Maybe 40-80%.

Latest version (v1.4.0.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

causeway74

I doubt the logging would cause this type of issue, in any case you can disable it in the options to test.

If you see an issue between v1.3.2.0 and 1.3.5.0 (The latest version is v1.4.0.0) the main thing that was changed was the option:
'Detect channel only center frequency (default all bandwidth)' was changed to 'Channel bandwidth for signal level detection'.
What value is this set too? If 100% try something lower. Maybe 40-80%.

Yes, I'll test with 1.3.5.0 to rule out the logging changes.

It is set to the default value of 100%. Will experiment with other options.

wa4cnl

Premium Subscriber
First, thanks for your work on the Frequency Scanner.

I am using SDR# v1.0.0.1732 with Frequency Scanner v1.4.1.0. There seems to be a problem with the Channel Analyzer causing SDR# to crash to the Null Reference Exception. If I configure it to hide the Channel Analyzer then the scanner works fine.

If I configure it to display the Channel Analyzer and start the scanner, the Channel Analyzer window appears with only the y-axis shown and the scanner does not start. The scan button does change to the stop scan button. If I let it sit there, the Channel Analyzer window will disappear and the stop scan button is still displayed even though the scanner is not and never started scanning. Next I stop the radio. It stops. Then I exit SDR#.

Also, I did find crash.txt in the SDRSharp directory. I have attached it. I also found an error in the Application Event log. I have attached it as well. With all of my experimentation, I am not sure as to the exact steps taken to produce the attached errors.

Sometimes when I try top stop the radio, after the Channel Analyzer window disappears, I get a null reference exception popup and SDR# exists when I acknowledge the error. I have attached that error as well.

The strange thing (well maybe not strange in the windows world) the Frequency Scanner was working most of the time with the Channel Analyzer for the last two days. Today, I have to hide the Channel Analyzer in order to get the scanner to work. I did notice that Microsoft installed the new Microsoft Edge during the night. I don't know what else Microsoft updated.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Lee

Attachments

• crash.txt
    450 bytes · Views: 4
  • ErrorFoundInApplicationEventLog.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 1
  • NullReferenceExceptionWhenStoppingRadio.txt
    25.7 KB · Views: 1

thewraith2008

Install a fresh SDR# 1732 without all the plug-ins (don't use Community Package)
Install the Frequency Scanner v1.4.1.0 plug-in (one available in this thread)

Retry.

Latest version (v1.4.1.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

wa4cnl

Premium Subscriber
Here is an update on the the crashing that I was experiencing in my earlier post.

During the night after my initial post, windows installed a bunch more updates and rebooted several times during the process. The Frequency Scanner started working but after a while it crashed again just like I described in my original post. So, as recommended, I installed a fresh SDR# 1732 (not the Community Package version) and installed the Frequency Scanner v1.4.1.0 plugin. Since then, no crashes! Hurray!

Thanks for your prompt feedback and recommendation!