SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

BTJustice

Would it be possible to set the Step size (Hz) to as low as 2,500? This would make it easier to find police/fire/EMS on 150-160 MHz.

thewraith2008

Setting the (RF) channel spacing close like that will see the scanner always stopping on the wrong channel (frequency) because the target active channel will occupy a larger bandwidth than the (RF) channel spacing does.

In the image below, channel #25 is where the active channel is (and occupies a 12.5kHz channel).
The scanner would most likely detect channel #22 as been active first and stop there which would be wrong in this case.

EC8WuIr.png

NOTE: This is a digital (DMR) signal but it serves the purpose to make the point.

Latest version (v2.2.13.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

BTJustice

Most of mine are just NFM--far away, weak, very narrow signals. Just wanted 2.5 kHz as that seems to be what most are spaced at across 150-160 MHz. 153.3175, 153.320, 153.3225, 153.325, 153.3275, and so on for example.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Most of mine are just NFM--far away, weak, very narrow signals. Just wanted 2.5 kHz as that seems to be what most are spaced at across 150-160 MHz. 153.3175, 153.320, 153.3225, 153.325, 153.3275, and so on for example.

Assuming we're talking about the US, the problem is that highband is not consistent, with different services (business, marine, rail, LoJack, paging, etc.), channel spacings, and older technology, and even apparent mistakes, having had to be grandfathered in at various times as technology evolved. In general, 7.5 kHz spacing catches much of the range accurately, but the problem is that there are gaps, discontinuities, and special cases all over the place (both physically and frequency).

In your example, only 153.3200 and 153.3275 are valid channel center frequencies. The range you mentioned is part of a nice, contiguous 7.5kHz-spaced set at 152.8625–154.4525 (213 channels). It's business industrial at 152.8625–153.7325 (except (4) public-safety-shared channels), then public safety at 153.7400–154.4525. Then, it jumps to 154.45625 (3.75 kHz diff). After that, there are (3) 7.5 kHz-spaced channels 154.46375, 154.47125, 154.47875. Then, there's another 3.75 kHz space to (4) more 7.5 kHz-spaced channels 154.4825–154.5050. Then, there's a 10 kHz gap to 154.5150, and a 12.5 kHz gap to 154.5275. After that, it really gets messy, e.g., depending on whether you're in Alaska or not. :)

The Industrial/Business pool table is at 47 CFR 90.35(b)(3) and public safety is at 47 CFR 90.20(c)(3). There's other stuff in 47 CFR, like marine in Part 80 Subpart H, broadcast remotes at 47 CFR 74.402, etc..

Also see my previous post here, where I came up with (22) sub-bands (!) to cover most of the valid channels in 150–174 MHz.

BTJustice

I just want to hunt for new frequencies in the 150-160 MHz range. I hadn't realized the spacing was that messed up.

But, 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 = 7.5

And, 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 = 12.5

But I understand what you guys are saying about the mess this would create on the list of active frequencies.

digiman1

I see you have Voice detection for DSD. Would there be any possibility of having Voice detection when using the Simple DMR plugin or would this rely on Vasili adding functionality?

I tend to use Simple DMR more than DSD as it really is just simple but feel it would work really well as part of fast scanner.

thewraith2008

I see you have Voice detection for DSD. Would there be any possibility of having Voice detection when using the Simple DMR plugin or would this rely on Vasili adding functionality?
Yes that plug-in would need to behave like DSD+ for it to work.
I doubt Vasili would do that.
I've tried contacting him about other things but get no answer.

I tend to use Simple DMR more than DSD as it really is just simple but feel it would work really well as part of fast scanner.
Maybe, but since it does not provide and means to indicate what it's doing, the scanner will just keep skipping.

Release post here

billythec

Premium Subscriber
Feature request for Frequency Scanner. I'd like to "Scan ALL and Log All" - so that i can see the activity of the day. I think the word "Save" is misplaced because it doesn't save/write anything, it just adds a line to the Activity List. A bonus item would be to mark the "new/unsaved" frequencies somehow versus the ones that are already saved. Ideally one could double click on a "new unsaved" line item and have it open up the Frequency manager "New" dialog, but.... :)

Today I open up the stored log file to see what's happened.

Thanks for all who contribute to the software process. We realize what we've paid for it ($0) and are appreciative.

thewraith2008

Feature request for Frequency Scanner. I'd like to "Scan ALL and Log All" - so that i can see the activity of the day. I think the word "Save" is misplaced because it doesn't save/write anything, it just adds a line to the Activity List.
The Frequency Scanner plug-in can scan all and optionally log all.
The logging can show:
  • Number of hits on a frequency for a session
  • Event activity for a session (which various fields can be defined - see rules)
It does save, it saves to the Activity list (this is restored on restart of SDR#)

A bonus item would be to mark the "new/unsaved" frequencies somehow versus the ones that are already saved. Ideally one could double click on a "new unsaved" line item and have it open up the Frequency manager "New" dialog, but.... :)
The Frequency Scanner plug-in works with a snapshot of the frequency database for each scan session.
This means that any changes to the Frequency Manager database requires the scanning to be stopped and restarted for the changes to be seen by scanner.

Generally you would clear the 'Activity List' at a start of a session, then any entries added to list are "new/unsaved".
To change this would impact performance of the scanner if it has to check if the frequency database has changed and then reload it into the current scanning list.
Yes, this can lead to not knowing if entries in the Activity List have been saved or not across scan sessions.
  • These could possible be changed to purge frequencies in the 'Activity List' on scan start if they now exist in the DB.

Frequency Scanner plug-in cannot invoke control events (i.e. "New" dialog) of another plugin (i.e. Frequency Manager)
You have to do this the long way:
  1. With scanning stopped
  2. Double click frequency in Activity List
  3. Then add new frequency entry for Frequency Manager as you normally would.

Release post here

billythec

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation. I think what would be nice is having all of the the activity hits show in the "Frequency Scanner*" "Activity List" panel list at the bottom, not just the "new/unknown" ones.

In the language if the manual that would be "Scan All Save All".

The idea would be to have a running list of session activity that can be seen on the panel, (not just a log files stored to disk).

Thanks!

mancow

Database Admin
I wish there was a way for it to only log freqs that have broken squelch and resulted in audio.

thewraith2008

Thanks for the explanation. I think what would be nice is having all of the the activity hits show in the "Frequency Scanner*" "Activity List" panel list at the bottom, not just the "new/unknown" ones.

In the language if the manual that would be "Scan All Save All".

The idea would be to have a running list of session activity that can be seen on the panel, (not just a log files stored to disk).

Thanks!
While newer SDR# versions may handle a panel with more stuff in it, the old SDR# with it's fixed width will not.
I think having boxes filled with lots of text can really bog down a UI.

I wish there was a way for it to only log freqs that have broken squelch and resulted in audio.
I think a Voice Activity Detection (VAD) might be a little to much for this plug-in.:geek:

mancow

Database Admin
While newer SDR# versions may handle a panel with more stuff in it, the old SDR# with it's fixed width will not.

I think a Voice Activity Detection (VAD) might be a little to much for this plug-in.:geek:

I mean something like a flag that looks for the squelch/mute to be open instead of a delete if less than or in addition to that statement. That might help filter it down to actual useful signals instead of random hits.

billythec

Premium Subscriber

In my case, there would be like 10-20 a day, just looking to replicate the 4 other choices with the "one that's missing" ;) Don't need a lot of info here. (Today it has Frequency and Activity Time).

thewraith2008

I mean something like a flag that looks for the squelch/mute to be open instead of a delete if less than or in addition to that statement. That might help filter it down to actual useful signals instead of random hits.
Scanner stops on a signal when level is higher than the trigger setting, the duration is then counted from when mute/squelch is open.
The mute/squelch been open is not always an indicator of voice activity. (i.e. dead carrier)

If the duration is 500mS or less (I think that's what it is), then it will not be logged.

Random hits can be a result of having the delay set to low (for faster scan speed) or random noise at the time the spectrum is been assessed.

Probably the best that can be done is use the duration in logs to maybe help identify the random short hits that have occurred.

Release post here