SDRTrunk SDR Trunk Audio Question

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for you time to reply! In trouble shooting, I believe that I have found the noise may be causing the issue. I have located the antenna outside and added ferrites on the USB leads. I added 6" USB cables to avoid plugging the dongles directly into the computer. So far I have seen positive improvements! I'll report back.
That's interesting. An indoor antenna would be affected by building attenuation, sometimes up to -20 db depending on window placement and building materials. If the system was not designed for in-building coverage (which is why specific questions about the actual system are asked), moving an antenna outside would usually result in significant improvement in signal quality. Perhaps there is a source of interference inside, like LED lights - or a cheap or failing PC power supply. Or multi-path distortion. I use extension cables to relieve stress on the USB connector, and tape them for additional security. Ferrite and / or looping USB cables, meh - unless the cables are crap.

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for you time to reply! In trouble shooting, I believe that I have found the noise may be causing the issue. I have located the antenna outside and added ferrites on the USB leads. I added 6" USB cables to avoid plugging the dongles directly into the computer. So far I have seen positive improvements! I'll report back.
I use an active usb extension cable with a multiple USB adapter.