SDRSharp and multiple dongles

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

I will be going from a single dongle to a 3 dongle setup in the near future. I've noticed in other posts that it's possible to number the RTL-SDR/USB options in SDRSharp (see attachment). How is that done?

Thanks

Last edited:

rbm

To do this, SDRDsharp cannot be running.
Any changes made to the Config file while it's running will be lost when you exit SDRSharp.

Use your favorite editor (notepad etc.) and edit the following file. (After first backing it up. ;)
I usually just append the current date to the file: 'SDRSharp.exe.Config_01-19-2014'

'SDRSharp.exe.Config'

Find the field within the Config file that's highlighted in the screen capture below.
You can change the text between those quotes to be anything you like.
Then, save the file.

Also, anytime you run 'install.bat' to get the latest build, you have to be careful NOT to copy the default CONFIG file back over the file you edited.

Rich

Last edited:

rbm

What is the advantage of running more than one dongle?

The possibilities are endless.
Limited only by your imagination.

You can look at different frequency ranges at the same time.

If you use SDR-Radio you can listen to many individual frequencies within the bandwidth of each dongle.
For example, with four dongles and running four instances of SDR-Radio, you can listen to 24 frequencies simultaneously.
Hear everything on each frequency all the time. Unlike scanning where you hear just 'snippets' on each frequency.

You can connect to different antennas to compare performance.

You can receive weather satellite photos from multiple satellites at the same time.

Below are just a very few examples of multiple dongles in use at the same time.

Rich

Checking antenna performance on four different ANTENNAS simultaneously:

Checking antenna performance on four different FREQUENCY RANGES simultaneously:

SDR-Radio Monitoring Six Different Frequencies Simultaneously:
(This is only one instance of SDR-Radio)

rbm

While we're on the subject of multiple dongles ...................

Keep in mind that R820T tuners are relative USB power hogs.
If your port is underpowered strange things can happen.

Just disconnecting the antenna, or moving the dongle, or changing the RF gain can cause SDRSharp to hang.

Also, not all ports on all USB hubs are powered. Even those that are powered are often underpowered.

Dongles should be on USB 2.0 ports or higher.

I've run as many as 7 dongles at the same time.

However, I use USB 3.0 Powered hubs that will supply lots of power to each port. (Up to 900 ma. per port)
This one: (Less than $50, and also available new on ebay with free shipping)

D-Link | DUB-1340 4-Port Superspeed USB 3 Hub

I also use some of those USB 3.0 ports for external 4TB hard drives for logging and backup purposes and USB 3.0 is sooooo much faster.

If you decide to get a powered hub, go with the USB 3.0 hubs. They're backward compatible with USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports.

Even if your current computer doesn't have USB 3.0 ports, your future computer probably will.

Rich

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
To do this, SDRDsharp cannot be running.
Any changes made to the Config file while it's running will be lost when you exit SDRSharp.

Use your favorite editor (notepad etc.) and edit the following file. (After first backing it up. ;)
I usually just append the current date to the file: 'SDRSharp.exe.Config_01-19-2014'

'SDRSharp.exe.Config'

Find the field within the Config file that's highlighted in the screen capture below.
You can change the text between those quotes to be anything you like.
Then, save the file.

Also, anytime you run 'install.bat' to get the latest build, you have to be careful NOT to copy the default CONFIG file back over the file you edited.

Rich

How would this be done with a newer version of sdsharp (1413) that does not have that highlighted text in the config file?

Status
Not open for further replies.