SDRSharp crashing in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1gt

I'm having a problem with the current version of SDRSharp crashing in Windows 10. I've installed SDRSharp on other (Windows 7) PCs and I've installed an earlier version of SDRSharp (1.0.0.1331) on this Windows 10 machine without any problems.

However when I try to run the latest version of SDRSharp, nothing happens on the screen and a "crash.exe" file is created in the SDRSharp directory. The file reads:

The type initializer for 'PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI' threw an exception.
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.PortAudioAPI.Pa_GetDefaultInputDevice (IL offset: 0xffffffff)
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.AudioDevice.GetDevices (IL offset: 0x6)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm.InitializeGUI (IL offset: 0x153)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm..ctor (IL offset: 0x14a)
at SDRSharp.exe.Program.Main (IL offset: 0x69)

As I said, I can get version 1.0.0.1331 runing OK and it sees the RTL-SDR USB stick OK. Audio is fine. That version used .NET framework 3.5 (which I downloaded). The system also has the latest .NET Framework update for Windows 10, which I think is 4.6.1.

I don't understand the crash.txt file contents. Can anyone interpret them and suggest what might be the cause of the problem? There seems to be some reference to audio ports ("PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI"), but again the earlier version works just fine with no audio issues and other programs (like YouTube in Chrome and the system sounds) don't seem to have any problems with the audio ports.

The PC is a Dell Latitude e5500 laptop running Windows 10 64-bit, 2.2GHz Intel duo with 2GB RAM.

Thanks

BM82557

I had the same problem. I notice that the size of portaudio.dll in version 1450 was 80kb and in versions 1451 & 1452 it was 169kb. In version 1453 (the latest version) it went back to 80 kb. 1453 works ok for me.

ka1gt

Thanks! At least it's not just me having problems. The version I downloaded (a couple of days ago) was 1452
and the portaudio.dll is 169K. I just looked at the site and 1453 is now listed as the latest version, so I'll try downloading it and see if I get lucky with it!

The difficulty in trying other versions of SDRSharp is that it's very difficult to find them available for download. The site doesn't archive or make available older versions of the program. My earlier versions were copied from my own downloades, made on previous computers at the time when they were the "current version".

I'll report back if version 1453 works.

ka1gt

Problem Solved

Thanks for the offer, but version 1453 works fine where 1452 crashed. I guess I downloaded things too soon (yesterday...). Today's download is indeed different with a different size portaudio.dll file.

Many thinks for the tip. I thought it must be my system, but apparently it must have been a bug in the code of 1452.

It looks like 1453 may be a bit more resource hogging than 1331 since I can't run it with as high a scan resolution before it get dropouts. In this machine I only have a 2.2 GHz Intel duo processor which doesn't seem fast enough to run SDRSharp at maximum resolution.

I'm not sure what 1453 does that 1331 doesn't, but at least I now know I can run the latest version if I need to and there's nothing wrong with the Windows 10 machine.

W8VI

I also had a problem with 1452 starting up and running smoothly - 1453 is running great with no issues. I'm using an Intel i7 2600 3.4 Ghz system and in my case I don't believe it was resource related

When there is a new version of SDR Sharp how do we know what improvements / changes were made? Has anyone found a change log for the various upgrade versions?

ka1gt

I'm not sure how detailed/reliable that changelog is. Clearly more was done between 1452 and 1453 than "Added more display options in the band plan plugin." because 1452 crashes and 1453 doesn't!

I think the rule for upgrading is never to overwrite the previous version, because once it's no longer current (which may only be for a few hours), it's gone forever.

BTW the laptop I'm running this on turns out to be using a Celeron 900, not a duo. It is 2.2GHz, but overall it's not a fast CPU, so there's no surprise that the throughput is limited. My desktop benchmarks about 10x faster than the laptop, and has no speed problems. On the laptop 1331 allows higher FFT resolution and faster speeds than 1453.

W8VI

Thank you BM82557 for the changelog link.

Agree that more may be in the upgrades than what is posted. Could possibly be some side affects from changing the code.

Patelkes

Premium Subscriber
I want to try sdr# sharp version 1.0.0.1331...

Hi ka1gt/All

Is it possible for any one to show me download url or email me zip of sdrsharp version 1.0.0.1331

Thanks.

Regards

I'm having a problem with the current version of SDRSharp crashing in Windows 10. I've installed SDRSharp on other (Windows 7) PCs and I've installed an earlier version of SDRSharp (1.0.0.1331) on this Windows 10 machine without any problems.

However when I try to run the latest version of SDRSharp, nothing happens on the screen and a "crash.exe" file is created in the SDRSharp directory. The file reads:

The type initializer for 'PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI' threw an exception.
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.PortAudioAPI.Pa_GetDefaultInputDevice (IL offset: 0xffffffff)
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.AudioDevice.GetDevices (IL offset: 0x6)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm.InitializeGUI (IL offset: 0x153)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm..ctor (IL offset: 0x14a)
at SDRSharp.exe.Program.Main (IL offset: 0x69)

As I said, I can get version 1.0.0.1331 runing OK and it sees the RTL-SDR USB stick OK. Audio is fine. That version used .NET framework 3.5 (which I downloaded). The system also has the latest .NET Framework update for Windows 10, which I think is 4.6.1.

I don't understand the crash.txt file contents. Can anyone interpret them and suggest what might be the cause of the problem? There seems to be some reference to audio ports ("PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI"), but again the earlier version works just fine with no audio issues and other programs (like YouTube in Chrome and the system sounds) don't seem to have any problems with the audio ports.

The PC is a Dell Latitude e5500 laptop running Windows 10 64-bit, 2.2GHz Intel duo with 2GB RAM.

Thanks

Patelkes

Premium Subscriber
Thank you.

Thank You for sending sdrsharp 1.0.0.1331 zip files.

Thank you for your time.

...patelkes

Status
Not open for further replies.