Uniden SDS200 to Windows 10 Laptop connectivity issue while using Ethernet cable interface

w0hfc

Feed Provider
I’ve been trying to resolve a connectivity issue for some time, and I cannot seem to clear it, so I’m desperately looking for suggestions. I’d like to RV travel with my SDS200 and laptop directly interfaced via an ethernet cable to record radio traffic with Proscan software. I’ve followed the configuration directions and I have established some connectivity because the Proscan software displays the SDS200 screen view. However, when I try to get audio through the Ethernet connection, it times out. Proscan appears to be trying to use port 554 but it ties out after just a couple seconds. I’ve tried dozens of things, and I cannot seem to figure out what is blocking me including the list below:

• While home configuring, I have the laptop Wi-Fi turned off to avoid potential connection issues with my other SDS200 which is in use on my LAN. No difference if the W-Fi is on though, but have tried both ways.
  • Static IP set on both scanner and computer.
  • Opened ALL ports up on my laptop’s ethernet connection in the Windows Defender rules.
  • If I put the scanner’s IP address into an internet browser, it reaches the scanner (makes sense, because I can see the scanner display in Proscan)
  • Firmware is current version on SDS200
  • Windows 10 laptop is current version
  • Proscan is current version
  • The laptop appears to only have the Windows Defender on it, I don’t see any other antivirus software running.
Any more suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. The audio quality is bad if I feed the scanner speaker audio into the laptop microphone port, which is made worse because of ground loop issues which only reduces but doesn’t eliminate the buzz with an isolator. That, and I really want to be able to listen to the scanner via the external speaker instead of trying to drive audio into the microphone port on the laptop. My other home SDS200 works great when I run ethernet audio through my LAN and ultimately to my home computer. However, I can’t figure out what is preventing me from using a verified good Ethernet direct cable connection between the two devices on my separate mobile equipment. It has to be some sort of configuration issue, but I can't figure it out. I have a basic understanding of network configuration, but this issue is proving I know less than I thought I did! Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

a417

SDS200 <-ethernet-> laptop

or

SDS200 <-ethernet-> router/hub/switch <-ethernet-> laptop?

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
If no router/switch/hub, the following may be relevant:

An Ethernet crossover cable is a crossover cable for Ethernet used to connect computing devices together directly. It is most often used to connect two devices of the same type, e.g. two computers (via their network interface controllers) or two switches to each other.

While in the past a crossover cable was required to connect two host devices directly, it is no longer necessary. Many modern network devices support Auto MDI-X, which automatically detects the proper connection type no matter which cable you use.

Not sure if crossover is required with your setup, but it may be.

w0hfc

Feed Provider

An Ethernet crossover cable is a crossover cable for Ethernet used to connect computing devices together directly. It is most often used to connect two devices of the same type, e.g. two computers (via their network interface controllers) or two switches to each other.

While in the past a crossover cable was required to connect two host devices directly, it is no longer necessary. Many modern network devices support Auto MDI-X, which automatically detects the proper connection type no matter which cable you use.

I don't believe it is required? I might have a crossover cable laying around to test. I would think that the SDS200 screen information wouldn't display in Proscan if it was required though, I would think that it would be broke for all or none if it was any sort of cabling issue?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
In the Audio URL Setup dialog:
Is the scanner IP address correct?
Do you see any errors? Shown in color Red
Do you see the Bytes incrementing?
Did you go over the tips at the bottom?

a417

<snip> copypasta from Computer Cable Store removed

Hasn't been a big thing in the last 15 years, especially if you're using gigabit ethernet on either end - as Auto MDI-X built into the 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet spec.

If the OP is using a computer (that was built 15 to 20 years ago) that has a 10Base or a really early 100Base T networking solution, and has 20 year old cables lying around - and wasn't using a device built in the last 5 years (like the SDS200 is), then you might have a point...but Autonegotiation and the aforementioned MDI-X requirement have basically relegated that to historial usage.

w0hfc

Feed Provider
In the Audio URL Setup dialog:
Is the scanner IP address correct? - YES
Do you see any errors? Shown in color Red
Do you see the Bytes incrementing?
Did you go over the tips at the bottom?
Scanner IP is correct, and I believe I followed every troubleshooting step to the letter. I grabbed a quick screenshot before I left for work, but unfortunately, I didn't realize that I took the pic right before it errored out again with both a TCP and UDP error. I'm quite sure that the issue is a dumb cockpit error, but as dumb as it is - it is smarter than me apparently!

Attachments

• SDS200 - Proscan.jpg
    SDS200 - Proscan.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 11

w0hfc

Feed Provider
That’s a good point.

Do you have scanner’s IP in audio control tab of ProScan?
My apologies, I'm not sure I understood the question? The problem arises when I try to configure Proscan to use the UR in the "URL Audio Setup & Monitor" section. It appears to start, but every time when the Bytes TX hits around 488 and Bytes RX hits around 993 - it just stops, triggers both TCP and UDP errors, and retries a few seconds later. Rinse, repeat. I just keep thinking it is a firewall issue of some sort, and that I 'must' have another firewall that I don't know about running on my laptop - but I can't figure it out.