SDS 200, or 1 BCD 536HP AND 1 BCD996P2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlp

Premium Subscriber
I have a choice to get 1 SDS200, or 1 536HP and 1 BCD996P2.

I am in Middlesex County, in South Brunswick. They currently are on an analog 800mhz EDACS system.

I mostly monitor very few trunked systems, except for the NJSP and Middlesex County if something is going on.

If I get the SDS200, I have an BCT15X to use for analog stuff.

Antenna is a VHF/UHF Centerfire groundplane, mounted up around 50' above roof.

I also have the SDS100, so I'm kinda familiar with the SDS brand.

thank you for any help and advicd

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Right tool for the right job.
If you have no need for a scanner to monitory simulcast systems, dont pay extra for that feature.
Its like using a Unication for VHF or UHF conventional channel. Sure it works but there are much cheaper and better options for that type of monitoring. But if i was monitoring a 700 or 800mhz multi site simulcast system, G4 is the right tool for the job. (or a SDS100 i guess).

Hit_Factor

I tend to favor the new tech. Of course I can't tell you what lies ahead in SDS firmware upgrades, but it's possible and it could be a significant change of functionality. That is unlikely and maybe impossible with the older tech.

Ubbe

Are there any reasons that you cannot use your SDS100?

You can only be at one place at a time so connect that SDS100 to the antenna and use it on systems where you have problems to pick up signals. The SDS100 and SDS200 have pretty much the exact same receive capabilities. Even if you only can test and compare for a shorter time you should be able to tell if it worth spending money on another SDS scanner, or if you instead can arrange to quickly connect and disconnect your SDS100 from the roof antenna.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
NJICS has a bunch of simulcast, so if you're listening to anything on that system, the SDS200 would probably be worthwhile.

jbix1958

Premium Subscriber
I'm also looking for a new base/mobile scanner, and I live in Lancaster County, SC where simulcast is an issue. While the SDS200 appeals to me, it's just out of my price range. Would the 536HP be the next best choice to fight the simulcast issue with?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Would the 536HP be the next best choice to fight the simulcast issue with?
The general consensus here is that receivers other than the SDS or Unication's can have trouble with Simulcast. Results vary, though, with some reporting no trouble whatsoever. It primarily depends on your location relative to the nearest transmitting towers. As an example, I monitor a Simulcast system in my neighboring county to the east. My 536 has trouble with this due to my almost equal distance from multiple transmitters, where my G5 handles it perfectly. Whatever you choose, make certain you purchase from a retailer with a generous return policy.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I utilize 1 BCD536HP and 2 BCD996P2s all for local Fire/Police 700-900mhz Trunked Systems (Motorola SmartZone, P25 I and II) where I have no simulcast issues. The setup works great for me. I do have an SDS100 as well that goes back and forth to the car, but now I will be putting one my BCD996P2s in the car and will be looking to trade the SDS100 for an SDS200. Yes, new technology for the home shack.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've always been a big advocate of both the 996P2 and the 536HP, and where I live they both did an excellent handling simulcast systems. But that's not always the case for many users.

The advantage of the SDS200 over the others is improved simulcast results, the RJ45 network port, and the display. I can live without all the colors, but they are nice. The big win for me is the size of the display/fonts! I'm 70, have lens implants from cataract surgery and I can practice social distancing from my scanner and read the display from 6 feet away! Another advantage over the 996P2 is the Micro SD storage. Like the 536HP, having the entire RR database within the scanner is priceless. The amount of memory in the 996P2 puts some limitations on how many systems can be programmed.

There's some thing to be said for having two scanners that program and operate like each other. So if you have an SDS100 getting the SDS200 would be the best choice for me.

jlp

Premium Subscriber
Hi, thanks all for the advice. I ordered and have the SDS 200. Nice to just import the files already made thru Sentinel for the 100 and 536HP

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I live in Somerset County, NJ. Plenty of simulcast to go around. Had the BCD536HP and the BCD436HP. Lots of distortion. My choice is the SDS200, without a doubt the best scanner I've had since the changeover to P25.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Hi, thanks all for the advice. I ordered and have the SDS 200. Nice to just import the files already made thru Sentinel for the 100 and 536HP

That would be my recommendation. The programming you have done for the SDS 100 and 536 will be interchangeable with the SDS 200, obviously. However, it may be a challenge importing that programming into the 996 because of limitations, such as 20 groups per system.

Status
Not open for further replies.