SDS-200 Speaker Noise Again like the 536HP

Does you SDS200 have the hum noise?

• The noise is unbearable. I'm returning my unit.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • The noise is noticeable but tolerable. I'm keeping the unit.

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No noise at all. It sounds perfectly fine.

Votes: 52 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ansky

Earlier today I posted a poll asking how many people were experiencing the noise/hum problem. That entire thread has since been deleted.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the poll was moved. It looks like about 50% of people are experiencing the noise to some degree.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
If I put the internal speaker of the scanner right next to my ear I can just barely hear it... same with an external, non amplified (Uniden BC20) speaker. It is barely noticeable and isn't an issue for me.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Received two units tonight.

S/n. 824.
No noise.
Keyboard backlight ok for me

S/n 825.
Some noise but ok.
Keyboard backlight ok for me.

Two consecutive s/n but definitely a difference in background noise. But not so bad I would return it. So far anyways.

Same power supply and same outside antenna. Sitting in same chair to do testing. Did testing right out of box using zip code. Will do customizing this weekend.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Where did you get the last 3 of the S/N after the dash, or before, if before mines 403

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

Lotek

Premium Subscriber
I just tested my unit on battery power using both power inputs. No problems with the internal speaker and the headphone jack. The rear speaker port has lots of CPU noise.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
Thankfully No noise on mine. S/N 398
Keys dimmer than SDS100, but acceptable and fairly evenly lit.
Actually after further review, I do hear a slight hum/pulsing noise if listening closely and especially when holding on a channel (no activity) I get an obvious hum. But in my environment it's not obvious, so unless it gets worse, I'm not too concerned yet (but for $700 it shouldn't be there). But there is noise on mine nonetheless.
I may just have this custom fitted in my vehicle (shame on Uniden for no remote head...yet), and hook it from the headphone jack to cars audio input anyway (which from what I've read should eliminate the noise). Then if they ever fix this noise in a newer production run, I would buy another one for a home base. It really is a sweet piece of equipment other than the noise (minor in my case), poorly designed under the squelch/menu button release tab of LAN connection (should have been upside down), and dimmer than usual keypad. Otherwise, no complaints, Love the audio quality on this more than any of my other scanners!

Last edited:

opiekitty

Today I received my SDS200 from HRO Anaheim CA. Awesome piece of equipment and experiencing a light hum as well. Loving it so far and looks great next to the SDS100.

john56

Just received my SDS200 yesterday......has a VERY SLIGHT hiss that I can only hear if I put my ear to the radio...outside of that does not interfere with the sound.

I do have it hooked to a external speaker......

John KD8BIN

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
I tried installing an inline ground loop isolator between the external speaker jack and my external speaker on my SDS200 and it reduced the hum to where I could not hear it with my ear right up to the speaker. Without it I could hear the hum quite plainly with my ear to the speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
I tried installing an inline ground loop isolator between the external speaker jack and my external speaker on my SDS200 and it reduced the hum to where I could not hear it with my ear right up to the speaker. Without it I could hear the hum quite plainly with my ear to the speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought one on Amazon this evening and I will get it tomorrow and see if this works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I take delivery on my SDS200 tomorrow and before I pay for any upgrades I'm gonna check for humming and a dim keypad. I can live with a dim keypad, but humming anything more than what I've experienced with the 536HP will be going back.
mine arrives TODAY (saturday 2/9). i ordered from HRO. the guy told me even IF there were an out of box issue, they charge between 5-15% restocking fee depending on issue once it is validated by them. do not know whether this is really their policy OR if they say that just to prevent unneeded returns. if mine has an issue, it is going back to them and i will argue at that point. no way would i send to uniden to fix a NEW scanner. i'd rather be out 5%. hopefully now issues when mine arrive, BUT I did not the serial above for the TWO guys who had problems with hum.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
The keypad illumination is dimmer than previous model radios, by design according to Upman. Some users feel their radios are defective, but it's difficult to assess whether or not some radios are actually defective, or the user simply has a preference for more intense illumination for whatever reason. It is impossible to judge using images posted because we do not know the exposure settings of the camera, the settings of the display backlight, or the ambient light level in the environment. In my case, the keypad illumination is adequate, and I think I prefer it over the higher levels on my SDS100 and 536 - but all are acceptable for my use case.
I can live with the "dim" keypad, but NOT the hum if I get one with a hum. in that case, it is going back. we shall see later today. hope no problems as i prob would not order another 200 if it happened. just the way i am. i have been wanting a 536 so prob would go with one of those as a compliment to my 436.

Ubbe

Just bought one on Amazon this evening and I will get it tomorrow and see if this works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those ground loop isolators are made to be used with low signal and high impedance devices like line in and mic in on a computer or an active speaker and you cannot connect a 4 or 8 ohm speaker to it and expect to get any decent audio level or sound quality.

You can't do anything about the internal speaker but using an external or headphones you have different sensitivty from different speakers/earphones, how much sound you get at a certain voltage/watt output. Too sensitive and you hear all background hiss and hum from the electronics. You sometimes see those sensitivity figures together with earphones. I believe 98dB or lower are prefered with noisy devices like scanners. I have to use an inline volume control on an extension 3.5mm cable to be able to turn down its volume until I cannot hear any hiss or hum and then adjust the scanners volume to adjust for the sound loss. The same goes for active speakers, you adjust the volume on the speaker until you hear no hiss or hum and then adjust the scanners volume.

/Ubbe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.