SDS question

FCVPI99

what all extra stuff do you have to pay for to make the SDS be able to scan the same things as a TRX everyone im talking to they say it already does but all the vids i see says you have to do payed updates to the SDS to make it scan what the TRX does being im getting 2 different stories i dont know what to think .... using it for Starcom21 only

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Many different threads covering the topic of paid upgrades (DMR, NXDN, PV). The main difference between the Unidens versus Whistlers regarding the paid upgrade modes is that while the Whistlers cover DMR & NXDN right out of the box, the Unidens do not, but they properly trunk track MotoTRBO, NEXEDGE, IDAS and EDACS/ProVoice radio systems whereas the Whistlers just follow voice traffic on trunked systems with Whistler not covering ProVoice at all (very few PV systems still in service however so no big deal). Yes, you have to pay for these modes with the Unidens if you have agencies of interest utilizing them. $60.00 for DMR, $50.00 for NXDN and $50.00 for ProVoice if purchased directly from Uniden

FCVPI99

Many different threads covering the topic of paid upgrades (DMR, NXDN, PV). The main difference between the Unidens versus Whistlers regarding the paid upgrade modes is that while the Whistlers cover DMR & NXDN right out of the box, the Unidens do not, but they properly trunk track MotoTRBO, NEXEDGE, IDAS and EDACS/ProVoice radio systems whereas the Whistlers just follow voice traffic on trunked systems with Whistler not covering ProVoice at all (very few PV systems still in service however so no big deal). Yes, you have to pay for these modes with the Unidens if you have agencies of interest utilizing them. $60.00 for DMR, $50.00 for NXDN and $50.00 for ProVoice if purchased directly from Uniden
ok so last time i scanned starcom it was phase 1 ... now thats its phase 2 do i need anything of those dmr NXDN provoice stuff .. been out of the hobby for years so dont know anything about current starcom 21

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
ok so last time i scanned starcom it was phase 1 ... now thats its phase 2 do i need anything of those dmr NXDN provoice stuff .. been out of the hobby for years so dont know anything about current starcom 21
No you don't need the DMR or NXDN upgrades...
Starcom is P25 Phase 2... SDS's will handle that right out of the box...

Rockford Site is Simulcast.... So will be better off with an SDS scanner anyway...

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
If your scanner is capable of P25 Phase 2, you do not need the ProVoice, DMR or NXDN upgrades for the STARCOM21 system. You just program the system for P25 Standard (P25 Trunk) and that takes case of both Phase1 and Phase 2. If your scanner if capable of P25 Phase 1 only, you need to purchase a Phase 2 capable scanner.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
do i need anything of those dmr NXDN provoice stuff
System voice / mode is always indicated in the database so your best course of action is to refer to it when necessary. Don't waste your money on the upgrades if you have no intentions on monitoring any of the below stations identified in your county, though I'm sure if you spun the dial you'll be likely to encounter some stations unknown to the RRDB. Raw emissions on a scanner without the upgrades sound like this (turn speakers down): DMR & NXDN

FrequencyInputLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
463.2375WPEG632MMcNair Mid SchJean McNair Middle SchoolDMRSchools

System NameTypeCity
Diga-TalkNXDN NEXEDGE 4800Various
TeamConnectDMR Motorola Connect Plus (TRBO)Various

Chris0516

@FCVPI99 read the reply below, several times. So, You don't get the upgrades, when you don't need them.

I have the SDS100, and the 436HP. I activated NXDN only on my 436HP, because it doesn't work great on Simulcast.

System voice / mode is always indicated in the database so your best course of action is to refer to it when necessary. Don't waste your money on the upgrades if you have no intentions on monitoring any of the below stations identified in your county, though I'm sure if you spun the dial you'll be likely to encounter some stations unknown to the RRDB. Raw emissions on a scanner without the upgrades sound like this (turn speakers down): DMR & NXDN

FrequencyInputLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
463.2375WPEG632MMcNair Mid SchJean McNair Middle SchoolDMRSchools

System NameTypeCity
Diga-TalkNXDN NEXEDGE 4800Various
TeamConnectDMR Motorola Connect Plus (TRBO)Various

FCVPI99

for a radio you need all of them ... who says your not here one day and there another ... you spend 600 bucks and it doesnt even do the USA ? Pro 2004 499.99 works across USA .. Pro 2005 499.99 works across USA .. Pro 2035 same thing Pro 96 same thing ... SDS 200 lets make it 600 bucks and doesnt even work across USA to do that plus 300 pretty much a hole other scanner