SDS100 Buyer Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
And people have a hard time with a SDS series scanner. But if I was a betting man, I would say SDS buyers are smarter according to you. Why does this forum have to be so harsh when people ask questions?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Bud, I made it very clear in my post and was not bashing Uniden or any other manufacture, for a home base a dongle and DSD with Fastlane is the best option, I also stated for mobile all bets are off. It may be a suprise to you, but alot of people are not stupid, that is why I referenced the voice decoding section. Quit mixing rusty nails in your cheerios in the morning breakfast. You were new and dumb at one point also, before you became the almighty know it all that calls other people too dumb.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Because my 3 SDS scanners work just as good as my 4 15x on ANALOG 150 and 460
Because my 3 SDS scanners work just as good as my 6 996P2 on ANALOG P25 NXDN DMR
Because my 3 SDS scanners work just as good as my 6 536 on ANALOG P25 NXDN DMR
I made no ATTACK on you I stated SCANNERS ONLY.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Just like for the Uniden Scanners and they have problems using the ZIPCODE feature along with GPS and the FULL DATABASE and you think they can understand SCRIPTS? You are in the Uniden Forums so lets talk UNIDEN.
That is a big help to alot of people isn't it?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I will stop after this, You called people dumb. that's all my beef is. To me it makes me feel like you are superior to others. I will not comment in this thread anymore.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
When a scanner gets setup you do not have to set it up all over after a power failure like a pc and usb stick I have played with them and was not as happy with them as I was with my scanners. You mis quoted me I never called them names like you did.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I just put mine back in after a 4 month pause and worked fine, what are you trying to prove?
Again this is about you calling people stupid with your comment. I can turn my PC off and leave the dongle unplugged for months and when I decide to put it back in it works, so were did you come up with your last statement?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I think I figured it out. You have a hard time with DSD plus, so you are projecting on the ones that do understand how simple it is.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
How about when you turn of the power to a uniden without shutting it off first and corrupt the SD card?

Ubbe

And back on topic with out offending words a SDS just works just as good as the older Uniden Scanners.
Read the link in post #41 and you will see that it is far from good compared to any other Uniden scanner. I'm a radio engineer since 30 years back and used a professional radio communication tester and the results speak for themselves. You have to consider yourself lucky to have no issues with a SDS scanners reception quality. There's a good reason to why Uniden had to add those tweaking tools in the filter settings that no other scanner needs to use.

/Ubbe

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Ubbe I have a Electronics Degree also from the late 1970's I have worked in a 2way shop also but the point is you know my setup and this is what I see with my setup so please do not tell me what my scanners are doing when you do not see them. And you own how many SDS scanners? I looked at post 41 again I do not see test for other scanners as I have posted here before I see no intermod or desense issues at my site. I have taken my SDS100 and SDS200 both to Memphis 700,000 people the 26th largest city in the US and did not see what you say is a intermod or desense problem.
Thanks Buddrousa

Last edited:

scooter1968

i recently dropped my SDS-100, now the green light only stays on for a short time before it goes it, and yes my scanner is plugged into a surge protector

palmerjrusa

I've had my Internal GPS SDS100 little over a year now and the Scroll Knob doesn't function correctly. Sucks you have to spend around $90 to fix the issue

The scroll control on my SDS100 (purchased shortly after it was released) began to malfunction a few months after I received it, intermittently at first, then consistently and much worse just beyond the warranty period. I greatly regret not sending it in for warranty repair when the problem first started.
I've radios over 20 years old with similar scroll controls and none have ever shown signs of malfunctioning.
It's a quality control/component problem, this shouldn't be happening to a top the line radio retailing at $650.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I am not a uniden fan boy, but I really have to ask...What does a surge protector have to do with impacts to your device?

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Have there been a lot of reports of the malfunctioning scroll knobs ? Mine has been doing the same thing. At times it will scroll up or down the menus or volume by itself. The knob on my 436 is still MUCH more solid than on the SDS100. If this is a major problem, any chance they will repair for no or reduced charge ? I really don't have a problem paying a repair fee, but $80-$90 does seem a bit much if this isn't the fault of the owner. Not to mention being without it for a month or two ;)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes there has been reports including my own 100. This was also a problem on the 536. Very annoying but not worth burying the radio in the repair quagmire.

Status
Not open for further replies.