SDS100 Car Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewbeckstrand

Premium Subscriber
Hi, this is an awfully specific question. I drive a 2003 Ford Ranger and the other day I went to a car wash, long story short my car radio antenna was completely destroyed. I don't use my car radio ever so i'm honestly not too concerned with replacing it but, I am wondering if anyone knows of a good antenna for my SDS100 that I can place in that spot. I do live in Minnesota so it would need to be good with ARMER which is a P25 700 - 800 MHz trunked system. I would also like it to be good with conventional frequencies, if possible, as some of my area uses fire pagers that are conventional. Thanks for any suggestions.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I would also like it to be good with conventional frequencies, if possible, as some of my area uses fire pagers that are conventional.
Conventional is pretty broad. Uhf, Vhf? As far as the car antenna, is the hole flat or is it on a curved part of the fender?

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Finding an antenna to mount in the stock AM/FM position might be a bit of a challenge. Maybe a fender mount (see below link) might suffice. I assume you are a licensed amateur operator, Minnesota is a restricted state for mobile police scanners.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If at all possible, try to employ something that uses an "NMO" mount. These mounts are compatible with many, many types of antennas and are easy to remove and replace the antenna for car washes, theft prevention, trying different models, etc..

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My Larsen ham antenna (NMO) came with a screw-on cap. It's only a minor inconvenience to unscrew the antenna and throw it in the back seat when I go through a car wash or a parking garage with a low roof.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20211222_111831.jpg

This is an excellent wide coverage nmo antenna that I use. I agree with the others who have said location of AM FM antenna may not be the best spot but if you search on radio reference I believe there are threads on installing an nmo antenna on a Ford Ranger.

drewbeckstrand

Premium Subscriber
Conventional is pretty broad. Uhf, Vhf? As far as the car antenna, is the hole flat or is it on a curved part of the fender?
The hole can be whatever I need with spacers. The current AM/FM antenna is on a stock spacer that makes it a flat base. As far as conventional I mean U-TACs(450 - 470 MHz) and V-TACs(148 - 174 MHz) both are used in my area.

drewbeckstrand

Premium Subscriber
View attachment 146739

This is an excellent wide coverage nmo antenna that I use. I agree with the others who have said location of AM FM antenna may not be the best spot but if you search on radio reference I believe there are threads on installing an nmo antenna on a Ford Ranger.
Thanks for the reference. May I ask what concerns you about the AM/FM slot? Is it making it flat or simply signal being blocked?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No picture necessary for me as I'm very familiar with your vehicle, regardless if you are a ham or not, I could care less about the laws of your state regarding a scanner in your car and I'm going to assume that most of your citizens of your state could care less also, that's a discussion for another thread. The antenna might look a little odd in that position but..

You want the best reception you can get, the antenna belongs on the roof of the cab directly in the center. Assuming you're not transmitting and just receiving you will still get the best results from the proper placement on the vehicle of the antenna, you certainly don't want it on one side of the vehicle right up against the engine.

You can cosmetically change the site of the broken antenna as if there was never anything there or just simply replace your AM/FM antenna with a aftermarket replacement and then place your Larson tri-band where it belongs, in the center of the top of your cab.

A little hint, if you are ham operator, that antenna works great on 2 m transmit LOL

drewbeckstrand

Premium Subscriber
A picture may have been helpful ....

View attachment 146784
Wow look at that you found my vehicle without me posting a picture it's almost like the make, model, and year should have been sufficient for anyone with a browser; the same thing your accessing this thread on. The question really wasn't for just anyone it was for those who knew the answer or knew how to find the answer with little havoc. Not all this is directed at you, but I also didn't ask the question to get attacked about scanner laws i'm well aware of the law.

drewbeckstrand

Premium Subscriber
No picture necessary for me as I'm very familiar with your vehicle, regardless if you are a ham or not, I could care less about the laws of your state regarding a scanner in your car and I'm going to assume that most of your citizens of your state could care less also, that's a discussion for another thread. The antenna might look a little odd in that position but..

You want the best reception you can get, the antenna belongs on the roof of the cab directly in the center. Assuming you're not transmitting and just receiving you will still get the best results from the proper placement on the vehicle of the antenna, you certainly don't want it on one side of the vehicle right up against the engine.

You can cosmetically change the site of the broken antenna as if there was never anything there or just simply replace your AM/FM antenna with a aftermarket replacement and then place your Larson tri-band where it belongs, in the center of the top of your cab.

A little hint, if you are ham operator, that antenna works great on 2 m transmit LOL
Thanks again for your response and for addressing some of these other comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.