SDS100/SDS200: Just bought a SDS100 got a couple questions.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
So i'm curious about a few things.

#1 Will it hurt the scanner if i factory reset it and then update the firmware?

#2 does the sds100 have a bandwidth or sample rate like for example the RTL-SDR dongle has sample rate of 2.4mhz what is the sds100? I saw online that when in waterfall mode you could set it over 10mhz that showed on the spectrum

#3 When using the sds100 how low and how high can you go up and down in the frequencies? like could it go down to AM freqs or up to 1200mhz?

#4 This is just a question out of curiosity and nothing more. I read the celluar frequencies are blocked in the radio would it be possible for someone to unblock those frequencies? again just a curious question.

I'm new to this scanner so i'm trying to figure out those small things ya know. i am not a expert by ANY means so please keep that in mind when explaining the answers to me. and again thank each and everyone of you very much! without you i would know less!

dmfalk

The DMR and NXDN key purchases are absolutely worth it on the SDS100, while the ProVoice key is more of a "just in case" thing, since it's not widely used anymore, and many systems still using it are planning to move to newer systems. The waterfall option can be fun, and help identify frequencies that aren't in the database or identify interference sources, but it's not required or necessary. (I have all four.)

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
The DMR and NXDN key purchases are absolutely worth it on the SDS100, while the ProVoice key is more of a "just in case" thing, since it's not widely used anymore, and many systems still using it are planning to move to newer systems. The waterfall option can be fun, and help identify frequencies that aren't in the database or identify interference sources, but it's not required or necessary. (I have all four.)
Ok good to know. i am waiting on my sds100 to get here monday so i am trying to learn as much as i can. i looked at the upgrade they are expensive to say the least lol. But right now i am using dsdplus fastlane and sdrtrunk, what advantages do u think the sds100 has over those?

and right now i have picked up some DMR and NXDN but more NXDN so i will probably get that upgrade first but i deff am getting the waterfall upgrade i like how u can see the signal and stuff.

Do i have to register the sds100 on uniden and stuff before i get upgrades.?

dmfalk

1: No. And resetting isn't really necessary to update firmware.
2: Something like that, yes.
3: 25MHz-1.3GHz (1300MHz) -- Yes, I've received WWV on 25MHz on the SDS100.
4: No.

dmfalk

Registering: Yes, at my.uniden.com

Advantages? Working with trunked systems, logging, able to use the main database, make favorites lists, easy recording..... I'm sure others can say more!

A very good place to start learning more about the SDS100, with links to other resources, is right here:

Good luck, and have fun!

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

Advantages? Working with trunked systems, logging, able to use the main database, make favorites lists, easy recording..... I'm sure others can say more!

A very good place to start learning more about the SDS100, with links to other resources, is right here:

Good luck, and have fun!
Great thanks you .does the sds100 decode weaker signals better than SDR's like the RTL-SDR ?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

Good luck, and have fun!

All depends on the antenna and location.
Ok i'm trying to wrap my mind around this but i have about 10 freqs i listen to in my area 3 of them are P25 trunked control channels and in sdrtrunk i have to be locked onto them and the other freqs are NXDN48 CB and a couple are just P25 conventional channels that show up P25 but it's not a control channel.

Now with the sds100 if i put in all those 10 freqs will it scan them all including the control channels? i guess the part that has me confused is being locked onto the control channels in sdrtrunk how does the sds100 scan those or scans all 10 freqs without being locked onto just once control channel?

I hope you can understand what i 'm saying here lol thank u tho

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
If you have P25 control channel frequencies, those go in a site for the trunked system where they are used. Can you provide a link to the database page for the area you are referencing? (There are several Grundy's in different states, so specify which one you are looking at.)

For channels (frequencies) that are not part of a P25 trunked system, those would be entered as individual channels in a Conventional system. If you have Sentinel installed (and have updated the database), you can append those to a Favorites list instead of having to enter them individually. That would also go for your P25 system. If it is in the database, you can append that system as well.

You need Sentinel, which is a free download from Uniden, to maintain the database in the scanner, as well as apply any firmware updates that might be released in the future. Sentinel is also used to edit your profile, which affects which Favorites lists will be downloaded to the scanner, as well as designated whether or not the list is monitored by default. The profile in Sentinel is also where you enter your location & range to be effective if you are using location control. And, the service types that you do want to order (or be ignored) are set using the Profile editor in Sentinel. If you want to customize the display on your SDS100, changing which items are displayed, modifying the colors used, and other potential changes, are also done in Sentinel.

By far, ProScan is better software for programming. As a Premium Subscriber, you can import systems from the database, and edit if needed. You can also use ProScan to log hits on the channels you have programmed, and use ProScan to display the scanner on your PC; much easier to read than just on the display itself. ProScan has a full-function 30-day trial period if you want to try it first. You purchase the software, for $50. That is a one-time fee, Any updates to the software are free to install and use.

Offhand, I don't think there currently is a setting that would output data from the scanner to be used in DSDPlus or other software. I don't currently use DSD, so someone who does use it would be better to confirm whether or not the SDS scanners can be used for that software.
Here is my Location and i have a outdoor discone antenna i use so i pick up some surrounding counties such as wise county va and i get some of Pike county Ky since i am close to that as well. Thanks

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Now with the sds100 if i put in all those 10 freqs will it scan them all including the control channels? i guess the part that has me confused is being locked onto the control channels in sdrtrunk how does the sds100 scan those or scans all 10 freqs without being locked onto just once control channel?

It scans one frequency at a time based on the favourite lists you’ve built. With trunk systems it locks onto the control channel, checks for activity momentarily, then moves on. It cannot decode multiple control channels at once.

I urge you to look up some YouTube videos on how to program this unit and understand it is a different creature than what you’ve been attempting with SDR as well.

There is also an “Easier to Read” manual that helps a lot of people out.

JethrowJohnson

I love P25
3 of them are P25 trunked control channels and in sdrtrunk i have to be locked onto them
Is there only one control channel active at a time and the other two are just alternates for the same trunked network? Or are each of these control channels for a separate network?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
It scans one frequency at a time based on the favourite lists you’ve built. With trunk systems it locks onto the control channel, checks for activity momentarily, then moves on. It cannot decode multiple control channels at once.

I urge you to look up some YouTube videos on how to program this unit and understand it is a different creature than what you’ve been attempting with SDR as well.

There is also an “Easier to Read” manual that helps a lot of people out.
Ok i will do that. by the way does the sds100 decode TDMA channels?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Ok thanks. i looked it up online and it says the range for the sds100 is up to 50 miles. now does that mean if i use a outside antenna i won't be able to hear anything from farther away. because i know with a rtl-sdr dongle and dsdplus i can hear stuff 2 or 3 counties over.
I don't own an SDS but I have a 436hp which is very similar. In the menu where you set your location there is also an option to set your range. What you set your range to determines how much of the database is scanned. The greater your range, the more systems/frequencies are scanned through. I find 20-25 miles works best for me. If I go more, I end up loading a lot of area that I have no chance of ever receiving. Which means more time scanning dead air, and hearing less of what is going on around me because of it. Where the old addage, "the more you scan, the less you hear" comes into play.

Play around with it and determine what works best for you with your setup, I don't regularly use a rooftop antenna with it myself.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks. i looked it up online and it says the range for the sds100 is up to 50 miles. now does that mean if i use a outside antenna i won't be able to hear anything from farther away. because i know with a rtl-sdr dongle and dsdplus i can hear stuff 2 or 3 counties over.

There is a good explanation of how the scanner's range settings work starting on page 19 of the SDS100 owner's manual.