SDS100/SDS200: Just bought a SDS100 got a couple questions.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at the upgrade. but does the sds100 come with EDACS or do u have to pay to upgrade to that?
Analog EDACS will work fine out of the box. ProVoice (digital channels on EDACS systems) requires the upgrade. Though there's very few functional systems left and most are being phased out.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
i live in a rural area thats one reason i put up a outdoors discone antenna but i was looking at my areas and i have some NXDN and DMR so i want to upgrade to those but i looked at the upgrades and they are like 90 bucks each thats crazy especially after already paying 700 for the scanner. the waterfall upgrade would be worth it

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
i live in a rural area thats one reason i put up a outdoors discone antenna but i was looking at my areas and i have some NXDN and DMR so i want to upgrade to those but i looked at the upgrades and they are like 90 bucks each thats crazy especially after already paying 700 for the scanner. the waterfall upgrade would be worth it
It's significantly cheaper when bought directly from Uniden. They're $50 for NXDN and $60 for DMR. I'd suggest focusing on understanding and learning your scanner before worrying about upgrades yet.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
It's significantly cheaper when bought directly from Uniden. They're $50 for NXDN and $60 for DMR. I'd suggest focusing on understanding and learning your scanner before worrying about upgrades yet.
yeah i agree.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
1: No. And resetting isn't really necessary to update firmware.
2: Something like that, yes.
3: 25MHz-1.3GHz (1300MHz) -- Yes, I've received WWV on 25MHz on the SDS100.
4: No.
I'm not sure if this was replied to before or maybe i missed it but with the waterfall mode can you still scan through freqs while in waterfall mode like you would normally or is that not possibel?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
The upgrades for DMR and NXDN are not 90 bucks. Buy them straight from Uniden, they're the cheapest and best way to get them. It depends on your area and what you want to listen to, but I found DMR the most useful upgrade. NXDN has been somewhat useless to me as there isn't much traffic on my few local NXDN systems. Go to your state forum on here and ask others what they recommend for your area

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
The upgrades for DMR and NXDN are not 90 bucks. Buy them straight from Uniden, they're the cheapest and best way to get them. It depends on your area and what you want to listen to, but I found DMR the most useful upgrade. NXDN has been somewhat useless to me as there isn't much traffic on my few local NXDN systems. Go to your state forum on here and ask others what they recommend for your area
Do you know about the waterfall mode and the question i asked last about if it will scan while in waterfall mode meaning will it flip through channels while in waterfall mode? i don't want to purchase it if it won't Thanks

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Get them direct from Uniden at these prices...

DMR = $60
NXDN = $50
ProVoice = $50
Waterfall Key = $20.00

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Do you know about the waterfall mode and the question i asked last about if it will scan while in waterfall mode meaning will it flip through channels while in waterfall mode? i don't want to purchase it if it won't Thanks
I don't own an SDS, sorry. Have you tried looking up YouTube videos of it?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

WX9RLT

Top Dawg
In waterfall mode, it does NOT scan.
It stays in waterfall mode.
Until you hit the left soft key button that says, Scan.
Once you scan, it exits out of waterfall mode.

Long story short: You can do one or the other, but not at the same time.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
In waterfall mode, it does NOT scan.
It stays in waterfall mode.
Until you hit the left soft key button that says, Scan.
Once you scan, it exits out of waterfall mode.

Long story short: You can do one or the other, but not at the same time.
Thanks

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I plan on using dsdplus fastlane to find the percise freqs i am able to listen to and then program the sds100 to receive those freqs that way i'm not scanning just stuff i can't even pick up and it wasting time would that be a good idea?
You don't need DSD+ - everything (should be) in the RR database and you program your favorite list(s) from there using Sentinel or ProScan.. If you don't know how to do this, ask.

Don't program any voice channels you see in DSD+.
You only program CONTROL channels. The trunking channel grant will tell the radio which VOICE channel to tune to.

One tip - get SDRTrunk. DSD+/Fastlane is great, but SDRTrunk is MUCH easier to use and because it is an actual program with a Windows GUI, as the user interface, it will also be much clearer to you, as to what is going on.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
It does NOT.

It is basically just a visual tool to see what other radio transmissions are close to the one in question - key word - ONE.
And again, this is because of the very wide front end of the SDS100/200. If another transmission is too close to the one you want to monitor, it may (will) interfere with the one you want. The waterfall visually shows you the chunk of spectrum higher and lower than the center freq you have programmed.

There are tools in these radios to help with this, but that is a can of worms you will need to open down the road. You need to understand the basics first.

Last edited: