SDS100/SDS200: Just bought a SDS100 got a couple questions.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
It does NOT.

It is basically just a visual tool to see what other radio transmissions are close to the one in question - key word - ONE.
And again, this is because of the very wide front end of the SDS100/200. If another transmission is too close to the one you want to monitor, it may (will) interfere with the one you want. The waterfall visually shows you the chunk of spectrum higher and lower than the center freq you have programmed.

There are tools in these radios to help with this, but that is a can of worms you will need to open down the road. You need to understand the basics first.
In dsdplus FL i have noticed that most DMR signals show DMR BS DCC:1
They only contain text, not like the files should be wildly massive.
You had said in earlier post that the sds100 would decode TDMA voice channnel but not a control channel does that mean u have to just programm in the voice channels and forget about the control channels?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
In dsdplus FL i have noticed that most DMR signals show DMR BS DCC:1

You had said in earlier post that the sds100 would decode TDMA voice channnel but not a control channel does that mean u have to just programm in the voice channels and forget about the control channels?
You’ll want to read in to or watch videos on how trunking works, per a few recommendations you’ve had here. It will the make sense.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Here is some insight.

P25 phase one systems use FDMA control channels and FDMA voice channels.

P25 phase two systems allow the use of TDMA voice channels. They may use either FDMA or TDMA for the control channels. Until recently, all P25 systems used FDMA control channels.

The Uniden scanners do not decode TDMA control channels on P25 systems. They only support FDMA control channels.

To trunk track a P25 system, you need to program the control channels. Programming the voice channels is ‘optional’.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Here is some insight.

P25 phase one systems use FDMA control channels and FDMA voice channels.

P25 phase two systems allow the use of TDMA voice channels. They may use either FDMA or TDMA for the control channels. Until recently, all P25 systems used FDMA control channels.

The Uniden scanners do not decode TDMA control channels on P25 systems. They only support FDMA control channels.

To trunk track a P25 system, you need to program the control channels. Programming the voice channels is ‘optional’.
So the sds100 does not decode TDMA control channels. so that means you can't not listen to them at all? and is this the way it will all eventually be or is this just a certain type of system?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
So the sds100 does not decode TDMA control channels. so that means you can't not listen to them at all? and is this the way it will all eventually be or is this just a certain type of system?

You could likely scan the voice channels, but it won't trunk track properly this way.

It's only very few systems right now, if it isn't on any local to your area I wouldn't worry so much about it right now.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
You could likely scan the voice channels, but it won't trunk track properly this way.

It's only very few systems right now, if it isn't on any local to your area I wouldn't worry so much about it right now.
It is on This my area is buchanan. but i don't think it's on that one but i do listen to that system sometimes with sdrtrunk and dsdplus i thought my sds100 would pick that up apparently not. i was reading on the uniden website and it says this
  • TRUNKTRACKER X
    Scans APCO 25 Phase 1 and Phase 2, X2-TDMA, Motorola, EDACS, and LTR trunked systems, as well as conventional analog and P25 digital channels.
The first part about X2-TDMA i thought that meant it would scan TDMA

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
It is on This my area is buchanan. but i don't think it's on that one but i do listen to that system sometimes with sdrtrunk and dsdplus i thought my sds100 would pick that up apparently not. i was reading on the uniden website and it says this
  • TRUNKTRACKER X
    Scans APCO 25 Phase 1 and Phase 2, X2-TDMA, Motorola, EDACS, and LTR trunked systems, as well as conventional analog and P25 digital channels.
The first part about X2-TDMA i thought that meant it would scan TDMA
No, it doesn’t. X2-TDMA is older technology and I believe obsolete, or at least on its way out.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
On that system as well, sites utilizing TDMA control channels have a T beside them. None of the 3 Buchanan related sites are marked with that.

You should try putting these things in and seeing if they work, less hypothesizing.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
It is on This my area is buchanan. but i don't think it's on that one but i do listen to that system sometimes with sdrtrunk and dsdplus i thought my sds100 would pick that up apparently not.
The American Electric Power (AEP) P25 system is one of the few P25 phase 2 system using a TDMA control channel on some of its sites. As noted by others, the RR database shows that the sites in VA use FDMA control channels - not TDMA. (TX, OK, LA, and AR are shown as the only states with sites with TDMA control channels).

The SDS100 should be able to handle the AEP system in Virginia.

WX9RLT

Top Dawg