Sds100 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
That's a feature when on internal power.
Expand your question with more specific details.

Navigate the following for Display on with external power.
Sentinel-->Display Options-->External Power-->Backlight On

backlight.jpg

Last edited:

SteveEnter

Sorry thread was too short, I want the display to remain ON all the time, even when on battery power. Display shuts down few seconds into session when on battery power. Have tried many different settings. Is my goal even possible?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately not possible without changing the firmware in the radio. Some are using a USB battery bank to keep internal battery top off and display on. For some that does not work with the radio tethered to battery pack.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Explore and learn your menu options. The only way to 'resolve' this 'issue' is to RTFM. Only then will you find that it is not an 'issue', simply an oversight on the owner's part.

JD
kf4anc

Joe_Blough

Explore and learn your menu options. The only way to 'resolve' this 'issue' is to RTFM. Only then will you find that it is not an 'issue', simply an oversight on the owner's part.

JD
kf4anc

Backlight options: Set Timer
Squelch >OFF
Keypress> Infinite

Sounds to me like the keyboard backlight and not the display so RTFM may result in confusion or not getting the desired result.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Setting : Display Options

Backlight options: Set Timer
Squelch >OFF
Keypress> Infinite

As long as you don't manually turn the display off it will remain on!
Well darn, I guess someday when I'm really bored I'll try to find the manual and read it. Never really needed to read it because the scanner is so easy even a caveman can do it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hey Steve, I'm coming in on this thread late I just saw it. I noticed that these three posts where are your only ones and it says you're a newbie.

The SDS 100 is very similar to the x36 series and for a lot of us who own those radios we are familiar with the SDS 100 right out of the box.

If you don't own those radios and you're not that experienced I'm sure the sds100 is quite a learning curve and it's going to take quite a long time to master.

The manual for the SDS 100 is woefully inadequate but it does cover display options. It is good to get familiar with it but you're going to need more than that.

If you Google an issue that you're having with the SDS 100 and you phrase it a few different ways you're going to come up with a lot of threads from Radio Reference addressing the issue that you're looking for. That's your Advanced manual. You can also search RadioReference itself and there is a Wiki page for the SDS 100. There is a tremendous amount of information with just about every issue being addressed.

If you have a problem and you exhausted every other means to find out an answer to your question then you can always come on and ask... Bob.

SteveEnter

Thanks for the kind words. Previous comments about reading the manual ha. I went over it quite a few times with no success. The forum did provide settings that got the display working the way I want. Forum worked; manual not so much. Love the features of the sds100 but sound quality not as clear as others. Have been “scanning” since crystals of the early 70’s but this was first time on forum. It’s a great help. Again. Thanks

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thanks for the kind words. Previous comments about reading the manual ha. I went over it quite a few times with no success. The forum did provide settings that got the display working the way I want. Forum worked; manual not so much. Love the features of the sds100 but sound quality not as clear as others. Have been “scanning” since crystals of the early 70’s but this was first time on forum. It’s a great help. Again. Thanks
I still haven't read the manual. And that is for both the SDS 100 and the SDS 200. Don't let them get to you. Personally, I check out the menus on the radio and do it myself. Who needs a manual, I have bought brand new scanners that never came with a manual.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I hear you, I started when I was young in the late 60s with tunable monitors and Crystal radios. I never stopped and because of it had a very successful career where Police radios came in handy.

It actually takes a long time if you're not familiar with the radio but just stay at it. Eventually you will find yourself customizing that display and clearing off a lot of useless things that you may not want.

From what you say about your reception and audio you may want to investigate the use of filters. They are a necessary and integral part of making your radio work correctly on all the systems and object you want to hear.

You leave global on normal as there is a reason that normal is the default and then you go into system sites and Departments of single objects and adjust individual filters for what you want to hear or what you're having a problem with.

People will disagree but you want to avoid the auto filter selections as they will slow your scanning way down but between invert, wide invert wide normal or just leaving it on global which is normal you might solve some of your reception or audio issues.

This will take a lot of time my friend that you're going to spend with this radio but that's what makes the hobby so good.

Look up display options and proper use of filters and you will see many threads telling you exactly how to do it.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Remember that certain problems has to be reported in this Uniden technical forum even if other users already have done a report. The SDS100 where released without any filter options and when people complaint Uniden tried different settings in different firmwares until they realised it must be user configurable. But then it was still complaints and Uniden added more filter options. The IFX option where complicated enough to give most users a diffcult time figuring out how to use it and with the added filters you almost have to be a radio engineer to understand how to use them. Then there was the complaints about audio quality and Uniden improved that in a firmware update.

If only one user post a complaint and no one else adds to it because they already read about it after a search, then Uniden probably doesn't put much attention to it and thinks it only affects a small percentage of users. Only after a collective complaint have the SDS100 have it's issues addressed and the SDS200 got both a hardware and software change to at least try and hide the hum issue from the user. Also remember that not all people who buys a scanner will go into the RR website to get tips and tricks to better handle their scanner or do a report of their problems. So each addition from users on RR that have problems will add to the probablility that Uniden will address it.

/Ubbe

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
We also have a technical support line that you can call with questions. 1-800-297-1023

Status
Not open for further replies.