SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 External Speaker/Audio options

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I have spent some time going through different posts, which seem to be dated back a few years, looking for a solution for either an External speaker (Indoor use) or at last resort, Bluetooth transmitter. I found a Bluetooth transmitter on Zip scanners (Bluetooth Enable Any Police Scanner) at a very high price of $50. I know there are other cheaper models online at Amazon. However, according to other posts talking about spec requirements as to not mess up the scanner I'm very unsure on what's acceptable and safe.

I'm truly more interested in a couple things. First, if there is any indoor speakers that would work AND be to specs and safe to use, and if anyone who has/is using something like this can post a link to it, for consideration. Secondly, If you're using anything for external audio, that works great, and has great external audio for an SDS100 if you could provide a link to it as well to consider.

Ultimately, I have the audio on my SDS100 almost all the way up on the radio and it's just not doing it for me, and the higher it's turned up the worse it seems to get quality wise and it really just isn't loud, period. I would really be interested in a safe indoor speaker set up over the Bluetooth option, if possible. I've seen some people post about computer speakers being great, but with that also comes posts saying that it can cause damage and must have an impedance of 4-32 Ohms to reliably operate as well as a Stereo type audio jack, not mono. Again, im just not sure what works and is safe looking at the options on Amazon, etc..

Thanks for any helpful advise and suggestions!

Ubbe

The internal speaker are microscopic in size and pretty useless as it enhances the noise spectrum. I use a 2 Ohm Motorola 2-way speaker that gives plenty of volume, I have my scanners volume at 5 for normal listening level at my desk. You will need to use a stereo plug to connect any external speaker. The one I use are a Motorola GSN6035b that I happened to have at hand but there are different model names for this speaker depending of what type of connector it uses, that you anyhow need to cut and replace with a stereo 3.5mm plug.

The speaker amplifier in SDS100 are both max current protected and temperature protected so are probably impossible to damage even if you shortcircuit the output.

/Ubbe

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
The internal speaker are microscopic in size and pretty useless as it enhances the noise spectrum. I use a 2 Ohm Motorola 2-way speaker that gives plenty of volume, I have my scanners volume at 5 for normal listening level at my desk. You will need to use a stereo plug to connect any external speaker. The one I use are a Motorola GSN6035b that I happened to have at hand but there are different model names for this speaker depending of what type of connector it uses, that you anyhow need to cut and replace with a stereo 3.5mm plug.

The speaker amplifier in SDS100 are both max current protected and temperature protected so are probably impossible to damage even if you shortcircuit the output.

/Ubbe
Thank you for the advice, and suggestion. Look exactly like the type and style of an external speaker I would be interested in. However, I don't know anything on how to properly cut or replace a 3.5mm plug, so unfortunately something like that wouldn't work for me. I do appreciate the response and suggestion though!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
As previously stated, the speaker jack is protected. I think most of the issue is with the tiny size of the internal speaker. A larger passive external speaker should allow you to turn up the volume with less distortion. Uniden makes one but I’d try a cheap CB passive external speaker first. They should work right out of the box. And if you live by a major highway, there are truck stop stores that should let you try before you buy. Just bring the SDS100 with you. There are also amplified speakers (not passive) that are available but they require a 12 volt supply… something that isn’t all that convenient when inside your home… and more expensive.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
As previously stated, the speaker jack is protected. I think most of the issue is with the tiny size of the internal speaker. A larger passive external speaker should allow you to turn up the volume with less distortion. Uniden makes one but I’d try a cheap CB passive external speaker first. They should work right out of the box. And if you live by a major highway, there are truck stop stores that should let you try before you buy. Just bring the SDS100 with you. There are also amplified speakers (not passive) that are available but they require a 12 volt supply… something that isn’t all that convenient when inside your home… and more expensive.
Yes, what you're describing IS exactly what I'm trying to find that would be safe to use, made for indoors, as well as good audio quality ( if known from personal experience of course).

Unfortunately, I'm learning that it's not just newer scanners I have no understanding of, unfortunately. I have looked up several External Speakers made for CB's/Scanners and so on.., but they all seem to be made for Automobile powered use. This leading to the confusion of what is acceptable, on top of the specs that it needs to be for use with the SDS100. I've seen people have said a pair of computer speakers work great, but seems to me the best option is an external speaker made for CB/Scanner type usage.

Anyways, I guess I'm just having a hard time finding something that would work and work indoors, properly. As far a Truckstop, we only have a very small one close by that sells that type of thing and they don't let people try or use anything without buying it, which probably explains why everything is covered in dust and looks to have been sitting a long time. Anyways, that's unfortunately the cross road I'm at on figuring something acceptable out for an external speaker.

Thanks for the help/Advice!

Trucker700

I have used a Uniden BC20 powered speaker connected to the earphone jack on my SDS100 when I was driving over the road. It proved plenty of volume inside a loud truck.
James

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
I have used a Uniden BC20 powered speaker connected to the earphone jack on my SDS100 when I was driving over the road. It proved plenty of volume inside a loud truck.
James
Does this speaker have the ability/wiring to be used indoors? I need something for indoor use and if capable, without no modifications to the wires of any kind that would be perfect.

Trucker700

Does this speaker have the ability/wiring to be used indoors? I need something for indoor use and if capable, without no modifications to the wires of any kind that would be perfect.
Yes, all you need is a 12 volt DC power source.
James

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Yes, all you need is a 12 volt DC power source.
James
Would this 12 volt power source be correct and safe to use with that speaker? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240626_155341_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_155341_Firefox.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9

Trucker700

It is a switching power supply and may introduce RFI on some frequencies. That would be more of a noticeable on an HF radio than a scanner that covers VHF and higher. But, it appears to have an adapter to allow connecting something like the Uniden powered speaker.
James
For $10 off Amazon and being able to return it, not a bad deal

Trucker700

I seriously doubt you need an amplified speaker. A larger single external speaker will give you a cleaner sound at the higher volume settings.
Since the SDS100 does not have a connection for an external speaker other than the earphone connector, there may not be enough volume to the earphone connector to drive an external, un-amplified speaker. The 23A provides plenty of volume. But, one can try an un-amplified speaker first. The worst that can happen is too low volume.
James

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
It is a switching power supply and may introduce RFI on some frequencies. That would be more of a noticeable on an HF radio than a scanner that covers VHF and higher. But, it appears to have an adapter to allow connecting something like the Uniden powered speaker.
James
For $10 off Amazon and being able to return it, not a bad deal
After looking at the reviews for that speaker (BC20), and reading the product description, on Amazon, it claims to be great for amplifying your CB/Scanner and so on. It also claims to work by just plugging in the 3.5mm Jack and its up and running. Anyways i will give it a shot, and see.

Thanks for the Advice and help!

chad_96

Premium Subscriber

Trucker700

Oh.. I will attach the link to what I went with, as that model also shows that its unavailable, anyways. im sure its comparable..

Amazon.com
The 23A is what I used in my 18 wheeler. It works well. If you have an un-amplified speaker with the correct connector for the earphone outlet, I would suggest, as others have suggested, trying it first to see if it will be loud enough for you to hear better.
James

Trucker700

I just ran a quick test with my SDS100 and an old Radio Shack external speaker I have here. There is plenty of volume from the earphone jack sitting in my radio room. Everything was loud and clear. I really do suggest as others have, you give an un-amplified speaker a try before the expense of the 23A or one like it.
If you are using your SDS100 in a loud environment, then you probably should consider the 23A. But, if in a relatively quiet room, an un-amplified speaker should be fine.
James

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
I just ran a quick test with my SDS100 and an old Radio Shack external speaker I have here. There is plenty of volume from the earphone jack sitting in my radio room. Everything was loud and clear. I really do suggest as others have, you give an un-amplified speaker a try before the expense of the 23A or one like it.
If you are using your SDS100 in a loud environment, then you probably should consider the 23A. But, if in a relatively quiet room, an un-amplified speaker should be fine.
James
Understood. I did go ahead and purchase the Uniden BC20, as I stated. But, that being said I will give it a test run, and either way, I may look into a secondary external speaker that you have suggested. Again, I'm not to good with the specs of things like this, but I would imagine what you're saying is that ANY external speaker, that's NOT amplified, is your suggestion on this? That's how I understand what you're saying, radio Shack or any brand really external speaker?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Since the SDS100 does not have a connection for an external speaker other than the earphone connector, there may not be enough volume to the earphone connector to drive an external, un-amplified speaker. The 23A provides plenty of volume. But, one can try an un-amplified speaker first. The worst that can happen is too low volume.
James
I’ve run the SDS100 outside, at a resteraunt next to a 4 lane road with a passive external speaker and learned that the ambient noise level was just a bit too noisy Monday thru Saturday (at the time I was a regular breakfast customer). So I graduated to an amplified speaker… the 23A. And yes, it did the job, as I already had an external battery I used for the scanner to begin with. But Sundays were a different story. There was little or no traffic noise from the highway and the passive speaker worked just fine.

Its my opinion the SDS100 has enough volume, just not enough speaker, which I proved out to myself. Before the SDS200 was released I ran the SDS100 in the house using a passive external speaker, not because it was difficult to hear down the hall on the internal speaker, but because when the volume was turned up it distorted the audio when there was someone talking and any alert tones were so loud they became annoying on the internal speaker.

Bottom line; From a cost perspective, trying a passive speaker first can save money and even if it isn’t enough and an amplified speaker is needed, the passive speaker is always a good backup when there is no external power available to power the amplified speaker.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
I’ve run the SDS100 outside, at a resteraunt next to a 4 lane road with a passive external speaker and learned that the ambient noise level was just a bit too noisy Monday thru Saturday (at the time I was a regular breakfast customer). So I graduated to an amplified speaker… the 23A. And yes, it did the job, as I already had an external battery I used for the scanner to begin with. But Sundays were a different story. There was little or no traffic noise from the highway and the passive speaker worked just fine.

Its my opinion the SDS100 has enough volume, just not enough speaker, which I proved out to myself. Before the SDS200 was released I ran the SDS100 in the house using a passive external speaker, not because it was difficult to hear down the hall on the internal speaker, but because when the volume was turned up it distorted the audio when there was someone talking and any alert tones were so loud they became annoying on the internal speaker.

Bottom line; From a cost perspective, trying a passive speaker first can save money and even if it isn’t enough and an amplified speaker is needed, the passive speaker is always a good backup when there is no external power available to power the amplified speaker.
Thank you for the advice. That makes great sense, especially from someone who has tested it in different settings.

The only thing I'm unsure/confused on is what you mean by a "Passive external speaker". Would that be an non-amplified speaker? Either way I'm not sure what one of them are, as I've not looked into them as of yet.

Anyways, great advice and I really appreciate it!