SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Issues to be aware of out of the box?

Are there any issues that I should be aware of on the SDS-100 out of the box?

I am asking because when it was first released, there was a cold solder joint issue that was well documented on these forums:
SDS100 Radio Reference Forum Thread

I am sure the above mentioned issue has been fixed by now, but I was just asking to see if I should be aware of this issue or any other issue
with the SDS 100 when buying a new one.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Are there any issues that I should be aware of on the SDS-100 out of the box?

I am asking because when it was first released, there was a cold solder joint issue that was well documented on these forums:
SDS100 Radio Reference Forum Thread

I am sure the above mentioned issue has been fixed by now, but I was just asking to see if I should be aware of this issue or any other issue
with the SDS 100 when buying a new one.
Thinking about buying a sds200 and was wondering the same thing, the scanner is around 5 years old now/
Saint

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No one here can guarantee you won't have problems "out of the box". As with anything purchased new, make sure the company you're dealing with has a decent return policy if you're unhappy. In addition, you also have a 1 year warranty through Uniden. Save receipts, make copies and you're all set.

Trucker700

Thinking about buying a sds200 and was wondering the same thing, the scanner is around 5 years old now/
Saint
The SDS200 hasn't had a problem with the cold solder joints. So, I would not worry about that problem. I have had a SDS200 and SDS100 since they first became available. So far, no problems. I did buy a good SMA to BNC adapter from a former member here that is much better than the one supplied with the SDS100. I use BNC antennas that are much easier to attach and remove without putting stress on the SMA connector on the radio.
Overall, I have been very happy with both my SDS radios.
James

bearcatrp

Keep an eye on your battery. Numerous reports of swollen battery. One of the main reasons I won't buy it. The cold solder joint was the other one but am hearing the newer ones seems to be fixed. Have had my SDS200 for 3 years running and logging non stop without any issues. About the best scanner you can buy. If I could mount one in my truck, I would buy another. Unfortunately I don't have the room.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 hasn't had a problem with the cold solder joints. So, I would not worry about that problem. I have had a SDS200 and SDS100 since they first became available. So far, no problems. I did buy a good SMA to BNC adapter from a former member here that is much better than the one supplied with the SDS100. I use BNC antennas that are much easier to attach and remove without putting stress on the SMA connector on the radio.
Overall, I have been very happy with both my SDS radios.
James
Same here. I did have cold solder joint problems. Uniden thought they fixed it but didn't. That "former member" that Trucker mentioned also sold me an adapter. He also fixed Uniden's fix and put in an internal GPS. No problems with the 100 since. Never had any problems with the 200.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I know this will be up for discussion but out of the box, I was very unhappy and surprised with the audio quality so do not be surprised at the sound. I know it is a portable, but Uniden could have put in a better speaker or audio amp. They have done it in older radios and even my Baofengs and Icoms sound much better. Hook it to an external speaker, and not too bad, but it is a handheld portable which is its purpose, not to be connected to an external speaker. Fortunately, never had the cold solder problem. I do not have one now.
Let the other opinions begin😈

Ubbe

Uniden could have put in a better speaker or audio amp.
Audio amp are actually quite powerful using a low ohm external speaker. Use a stereo plug and tie left and right channels together. Uniden used the mechanical design from their marine radio so had no option to fit a proper speaker in the SDS100.

41A30iZNNlL._AC_.jpg

/Ubbe

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Audio amp are actually quite powerful using a low ohm external speaker. Use a stereo plug and tie left and right channels together. Uniden used the mechanical design from their marine radio so had no option to fit a proper speaker in the SDS100.

41A30iZNNlL._AC_.jpg

/Ubbe
I had actually heard about the marine radio being the source, but I wonder if it sounded like the sds100…if so I feel sorry for mariners if they have a noisy boat! 🚣‍♀️⛵️⚓️

Ubbe

It's the same space reserved for a tiny speaker in both the marine radio and SDS100, so speaker audio are probably the exact same. But fortunately you usually don't use a marine radio when having a motor boat go at full speed. It is when it has suddenly stopped that you call for help.

/Ubbe

10-43

Premium Subscriber
No malfunctions with my SDS100 out of the box. Received December 2022. Does get a bit warm at the top around the antenna connector.

marksmith

If you have some trunked systems that are pushing it a little due to distance, I have found significant range improvement in generally urban situations with the addition of the Remtronix O-ring antenna for the 100. About $40 but difference between receiving and not receiving.

Also be aware it's not the best VHF receiver.

If you have some trunked systems that are pushing it a little due to distance, I have found significant range improvement in generally urban situations with the addition of the Remtronix O-ring antenna for the 100. About $40 but difference between receiving and not receiving.

Also be aware it's not the best VHF receiver.
How is UHF reception on the SDS100?
Reason I am asking is ATC frequencies are in the VHF//UHF range (AM).

Ubbe

How is UHF reception on the SDS100?
Uniden have put a preamplifier in the scanner and adjusted its gain to make it as sensitive as their other scanners. A BCD536 and SDS100 with squelch set at 2 open up at -119dBm and their 5:th signal bar lights up at -96dBm using FM mode. So that looks fine at the test bench. SDS100 uses a SDR receiver chip that has a lot of internal interference and image frequencies that makes it receive a transmitter at a totally different frequency that makes that other frequency be interfered or even dead. It will also desense much quicker than any other scanner as the SDR receiver chip isn't as sensitive as other scanners and need that preamp but then also makes it overload much easier.

The end result will depend of how much other signals you have in that frequency band and how strong those are, if you use a better antenna that has some gain or an external antenna that produce many more and stronger signals.

The SDS100 uses a DSP to demodulate signals and has been programmed to use a correct narrow bandwidth for AM and have a great audio quality in AM, too bad that it's RF performance are not up to the same level.

/Ubbe

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
You'd be much better off with something along the lines of a BC125AT versus the SDS100 for ATC comms