ProScan: SDS100 ProScan Install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob:

I did the cable change, cable works, it is good. I do think that it is some driver or program is effecting the USB port. That confuses it causing to drop or make it look as if the port is in use. When the program stops working, or I first run it, it sees it's attempt to use the port as if the port in in use. When I pull the USB cable and re plug it in it will work most of the time. The program then runs for some time (sometimes long , sometimes a short time). I just do not know, I am not a programmer or a computer wiz! Could fire wall (ZoneAlarm) do this? Could It be Zadig be messing with the port? If this is a pain for you let me know and I will drop it. I know you are busy and this takes you away from your activities. I will muddle my way through this. I do appreciate your time very much. It looks like I am the only one with this problem.

Al
USASA
I just want to know if the BCD536HP serial port connection is stable after you connected the cable to it? YES or NO? If it is stable then it could be the SDS100 bottom port is flaky then in that case, see if the top port works. If the BCD536HP shows the same symptoms as the SDS100 then it could be the cable or computer.

ZoneAlarm shouldn't be a factor

USASA

The scanner is not the problem. The 536 will drop out from time to time also. That is why I keep looking at the driver or program conflict. If I knew how to remove Zadig driver, I would just to see if that is the problem.

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The scanner is not the problem. The 536 will drop out from time to time also. That is why I keep looking at the driver or program conflict. If I knew how to remove Zadig driver, I would just to see if that is the problem.

Al
USASA
OK thanks. That's good to know.

{edit} When the scanner does drop out, do you need to power cycle the scanner to get the serial port communications working again?

USASA

Some times, yes. Some times I have to unplug the cable and then it works. but it is more reliable and starts first time every time. I never get a message ref. port in use. No other USB device do I have this problem.

Why does this say I am ignoring your messages?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The only time I've seen that a scanner power cycle or reconnecting the USB cable would fix the serial communication problem is when the computer reboots. Perhaps it is that other driver or something on the computer.

freqseeker

Some times, yes. Some times I have to unplug the cable and then it works. but it is more reliable and starts first time every time. I never get a message ref. port in use. No other USB device do I have this problem.
I have a similar issue on my radios that are connected using USB. I find when it gives me the error "check if other software is using port #" if I click OK then go to comport settings and click set once every second or so until it connects (don't change the port just click set). Sometimes it takes one click and other times six or so clicks. It's like there is a settling time error. This has come up before, but not a lot of people have the issue. I used to change ports, reset radio, unplug USB....
I find the above procedure works everytime. Kind of a pain, but I believe it's a Windows issue and not ProScan.
Give it a try and let us know if it works. If you need clarification let me know.

USASA

Freqseeker:

Sounds very much like my problem. It is a pain in the A__! But if anyone can figure it out Bob can. He wrote a great program that shows his skills and abilities. If we can give him the proper information and make it understandable he will find the fix. The fix may be a windows fix or a ProScan fix or work around. I have full faith in him. Not blowing smoke, I mean it. There are then others with the same problem who have not come forward but just like you and I just live with it, breaks or the game.
Thanks for the information on your problem. If others add there symptoms, Bob will have a better view and figure a way around this.

Al
USASA
Ears On!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Freqseeker:

Sounds very much like my problem. It is a pain in the A__! But if anyone can figure it out Bob can. He wrote a great program that shows his skills and abilities. If we can give him the proper information and make it understandable he will find the fix. The fix may be a windows fix or a ProScan fix or work around. I have full faith in him. Not blowing smoke, I mean it. There are then others with the same problem who have not come forward but just like you and I just live with it, breaks or the game.
Thanks for the information on your problem. If others add there symptoms, Bob will have a better view and figure a way around this.

Al
USASA
Ears On!
That doesn't sound like the same problem to me. Post #24, you advised that sometimes you have to power cycle the scanner and other times, you have to unplug the cable. Your problem sounds more like the infamous problem with the Uniden driver then anything else.

Sorry but nothing can be done in ProScan. I can't pull off a magic trick. It sounds like something is going on at the USB level or the driver level. My program and all others uses the comm. ports at the comm. port level. We don't or can't go down to the driver level.

Last edited:

USASA

Bob:

Thank you!! You invested your time to help us it is appreciated. I figured it was some kind of driver problem, Uniden needs to re-work their driver and end this problem. If anyone has any contact with Uniden, advise them of this and let them know it needs to be fixed. It does drive a old man like me nutz! I have been scanning since 1971 after my return from Viet Nam. Now I have a radio made in Viet Nam, go figure. But the SDS100 and the BCD536HP are one hell of a radio. Again Thank You Bob.

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob:

Thank you!! You invested your time to help us it is appreciated. I figured it was some kind of driver problem, Uniden needs to re-work their driver and end this problem. If anyone has any contact with Uniden, advise them of this and let them know it needs to be fixed. It does drive a old man like me nutz! I have been scanning since 1971 after my return from Viet Nam. Now I have a radio made in Viet Nam, go figure. But the SDS100 and the BCD536HP are one hell of a radio. Again Thank You Bob.

Al
USASA
You're very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.