SDS100 review, highs and lows after a couple months

Status
Not open for further replies.

landradi00

Context: Seattle area listener, previously using BR330T primarily for public safety (the Seattle area police/fire are on a P25 Trunked Phase 1 Conventional Modulation system) with some opportunistic or occasional air, rail, marine, or other. Hence all my feedback is in reference to that experience. I listen typically at -80 dB to a simulcast in the city, usually driving in town close.

Physical: This is a big, unwieldy radio. The battery (extended) makes this a beast to fit in any but a real cargo type pocket without bulging. I have not used the belt clip / mike clip thing on the back, but it doesn't look as though it will work right due to the bulge of the retrofit extended battery putting torque on the clip in many use cases.

The connection ports (earphone, usb) have rubberized covers, which should provide some splash / rain resistance. However, it also means that one-handed plugging in of a headphone or aux audio cable for speakers is tricky / impossible.

Power: The thing is a beast on power. Quite warm when the battery's been working hard. I assume this is related to the SDR approach, where a CPU is doing a lot of processing. But it also strikes me that the screen may be at issue. It's a VERY big screen compared to the BR300T. It also is only ever "on" when it is lit, as opposed to the BR's LCD + backlight being separate. Hence, if you want to see what's going on, you're lighting up a pretty big screen.

A couple of smaller / idiosyncratic things on power. I have found that plugging in to anything shy of a high-output power brick or computer USB, I get a "low USB bus voltage" error which not only doesn't charge the thing but won't even let it run. Very annoying. This includes on my car USB output which should be close to 1.0 A. If you do plug it into a computer, you'll then get everything coming to a halt as you choose Serial or Mass Storage functionality; with Serial you can continue to listen while you charge, which isn't obvious.

No option to use AA or other disposable / externally rechargeable batteries.

Keypad: The keypad is largely reversed from the BR's layout, making power on/off, lockout/avoid quite confusing. Hold is achieved only through soft keys, and the hold behaves somewhat idiosyncratically given whether it's a channel, department, system, or site hold. The keypad's tactile feedback is more subtle, particularly for me on the soft keys at top, and I have had times when I "felt" the key click but didn't cause it to actuate. The layout is also somewhat more subtle to navigate, with much smaller "bumps" of keys for the fingers to traverse.

Volume/Squelch Dial: A somewhat loose and almost janky feel when wiggled compared to the BR. Good commanding clickety rotation. Depressing it is also firm and confident, BUT, the effect of depressing the dial is context-dependent (See below).

Audio: When things are working well, mid-span of a transmission, it must be said that the SDS100 gives superior audio to the BR in my experience. This is after fiddling with the Filter setting. I also include the fact that I get P25 Phase 2 digital on the SDS100 which was not available at all on the BR, which is analog modulation only. The audio is across the board somewhat quieter I find than the equivalent volume setting on the BR.

However, getting to the point of superior audio is tricky. By default many of the channels from the database had "Digital Wait Time" of 400 ms associated with them; that basically guaranteed a 0.4 second gap before any audio came out, which for dispatch transmissions effectively loses the first syllable or sometimes two. "Three King Two" becomes "...Two" which makes a call sign undiscernible. Also, a particular defect when trying to hold on a content-filled interesting transmission is the silencing of the underlying audio during the local key press acknowledgement beep on, for example, Channel hold. That too will lose a couple syllables. Inexplicably, the beep is not only played and silences on the speaker, but is recorded in the replay mode as well.

Context-dependency: The way this thing works is very unfriendly to use without your eyes. Obviously this is bad for a blind user but affects also those who might want to, say, hold on a conversation or change volume with the radio on a belt or in the pocket. The Volume/Squelch dial or any key when depressed in "screen off" mode only turns on the screen, but does not take its effect. But it DOES give the identical ack beep in many cases to the desired effect. So there's no sequence of dial manipulation that will reliably, say, reduce the volume by 3 notches. You have to know whether the screen is on or off to know how to manipulate the dial to do that.

Also, there are a number of times when pressing a soft key will add or release a hold but it's not clear what is happening since the ack beep is identical. There are also some not-super-clear time-dependent effects. It seems like specific beeps (up tones or down tones) and a visual cue (holding, releasing, etc.) would be trivial. Plus of course the issue of beeps masking the rx audio instead of being mixed in.

Speed: Speed of scanning my favorites is quite good, though not stunning. Definitely faster than the BR.

Recording: It does it, the BR doesn't at all. That said I haven't found a huge use for it yet. In Seattle you've got stuff going on almost all the time, so if there's something of interest that just happened, it's much more important to hold on that channel than it is to replay it, since if it scans onto another channel it'll start recording that instead.

Detailed Display: The available info such as RSSI in dBm, Noise indicator, Sys ID and UID and TGID, are very handy to have. You have to set up for a custom detailed display but this is reasonably straightforward.

National Database: Having the ability to keep the full national DB (shipped with the unit) on the SD card is great. It gives you a headstart on a new region. But it's damn near impossible to make serious use of it without software and a PC anyhow. For example I went to Oregon and there were so many things to scan using the Nationwide DB that the only way to make real use of it was to find a Department that was active and hold on that department; otherwise, it would spend minutes scanning through things like US Forest Service and various counties that I really couldn't hear, such that it was effectively silent 90% of the time despite being in a very radio-heavy area (Portland metro).

Overall -- I don't feel I got 2.5x as much capability as from the BR330T. It's probably a 20% improvement on the old analog modulation simulcasts (though I have heard for others the simulcast performance gap is much better and even crucial to intelligibility) and of course an infinite improvement on the digital modulations. I also want to give a shout out to the many pieces of possible quite design-constraining functionality that were incorporated in the design, like an IPX water resistance level and the multicolor screen. It just happens to be that for me those are superfluous compared with what those things are traded off against, namely ease of manipulation (plugging in headphones) and battery life...

I would love to see firmware address several of the issues above, including the key beep and context-dependency issues. The great thing here would be if the promise of SDR can be vindicated through firmware updates that meaningfully improve on the functionality. If that were achieved with a good update cadence and thoughtful attention to user experience issues like this, I could see this easily being a radio well worth the investment.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well that is some assessment of the radio, let me start off by saying that I like my sds100 and it performes well for me. I'm not a Fanboy type in any way shape or form as those who know me will tell you but I've had the radio long enough to have mastered it as best as possible. I was an x36 owner and that made all the difference.

As far as a consumer-grade radio I like the radio overall and it does very well on my hometown P2 simulcast system. No complaints there!

I think you hit every possible annoying flaw that I too have noticed on the radio. I think you got them all. Now that I am off of warranty I've had an Impulse more than once to cut that dang rubber cover off of the ear phone jack LOL.

I'm surprised to see you saying that you're satisfied with the scan speed. I find it slow and if you're listening to more than one system with a number of conventional objects you do miss a lot of Transmissions or get clipped Transmissions. My understanding is due to the technology used we will never see turboscan on this radio.

I am also surprised that you did not mention VHF and UHF performance.

If I might suggest, when I first got it I too had clipping of the beginning of Transmissions, even sitting on a talk group, after the filters came out, leaving Global on normal I found that on p25 systems applying invert, wide invert or wide normal to the one or two sites I used did help with that in addition to applying a one second system hold time, not to be confused with holding on an object.

I must say as far as handling simulcast distortion it does just as well as my mot gear.

I don't think some of the valid user unfriendly issues you pointed out will be corrected with a firmware update.

I know the radio is bulky due to its fat butt... but I would still get a case for it, it makes it even more bulky but it will protect it as I don't see it bouncing real well if dropped and will make a more secure belt clip.

It will be interesting to see how this thread goes from here :LOL: :LOL: :D

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Let just hope you do not get the cold solder joint problem. Mine got that. Was in uniden for repair. Sent out the middle of august got it back Sept 30. Oct 10. It was not receiving once again. Call Uniden that wants to send it back to get repair again. It amazing that a product as an expense as this has cold solder joints in the first place and more amazing that Uniden techs can not seem to fix the issue.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've never found key beeps useful, for all the reasons mentioned, plus they're annoying. The first thing I do is turn them off on any radio I get.

The SDS100 draws about 700mA, so that precludes the use of AA or other off-the-shelf batteries. It draws double that when charging, so careful attention to USB cables and outlets is required. The screen only draws about 50mA at full brightness, so it's really not the issue. Most of the power is consumed by the ADC and 2 CPUs.

Scanning too much stuff from the database is a side effect of the Range setting being bumped up when you enter a zip code. It should be 5 miles or less when using a handheld whip antenna. If you enter a zip code, the very next thing you should do is decrease Range. If you enter GPS coordinates, that doesn't happen. The best option is to use GPS, which could and should have been built in.

Context dependency is an inevitable side effect of the limited real estate for knobs and buttons. The SDS200 has dedicated knobs for scrolling, volume, and squelch because it has enough real estate to do so.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
In comparison to my 436 , I find the SDS100 speaker audio on analog to be very tinny, with way to much treble,and cannot be cured with any external speaker I have used.

on digital, the audio is all over the board. On some systems, the audio seems good. on other digital systems, the audio is also very tinny.

In the auto environment , I find the unit unusable, due to the audio issues, unless it is used with ear pods. I never had any issues hearing my 436 in my vehicle, as the audio was always much better quality.

Other than that, I like the performance of my SDS100. (the battery clip broke, that is the only other issue so far)

Ubbe

I find the SDS100 speaker audio on analog to be very tinny, with way to much treble,and cannot be cured with any external speaker I have used.
Try a Motorola speaker of this model type. It has all bass and no treble.

/Ubbe

Vinnie1224

I've never found key beeps useful, for all the reasons mentioned, plus they're annoying. The first thing I do is turn them off on any radio I get.

The SDS100 draws about 700mA, so that precludes the use of AA or other off-the-shelf batteries. It draws double that when charging, so careful attention to USB cables and outlets is required. The screen only draws about 50mA at full brightness, so it's really not the issue. Most of the power is consumed by the ADC and 2 CPUs.

Scanning too much stuff from the database is a side effect of the Range setting being bumped up when you enter a zip code. It should be 5 miles or less when using a handheld whip antenna. If you enter a zip code, the very next thing you should do is decrease Range. If you enter GPS coordinates, that doesn't happen. The best option is to use GPS, which could and should have been built in.

Context dependency is an inevitable side effect of the limited real estate for knobs and buttons. The SDS200 has dedicated knobs for scrolling, volume, and squelch because it has enough real estate to do so.
So On my sds100 I enter 50 Mile range that’s bc I have two antenna mounted outside I cannot afford a base scanner at this . I have a mini fan behind it tho bc I’m sure it helps cooling and I don’t mind alittle air hitting me . As for the beeps I agree annoying.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Range should never be set higher than 5-10 miles. Read this to understand why:

Vinnie1224

Range should never be set higher than 5-10 miles. Read this to understand why:

Oh I don’t care what they say I do what makes me happy. I get 45-55 miles out sometime more on good days . Thank

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Read the article. Setting Range to 50 miles adds 50 miles to whatever service radius is specified in the database. So if something's listed as having a 30-mile service radius, the scanner adds 50 miles to that, and will start scanning it when its 80 miles away. You'll waste a bunch of time scanning stuff you can't actually hear.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The same thing applies to favorite lists.

Unless you have Location Control turned off in every one of them, in which case your Range setting has no effect on what gets scanned or not scanned at all.

Hit_Factor

When the "low USB bus voltage" is displayed simply unplug the USB cable, the scanner will run on battery power, if it's charged. Possible remedies to this condition is protect the scanner from over heating inside a closed up vehicle during warm weather. Another remedy might be seeking out mini USB cables with heavier gauge power cables, they exist.

In regards to 6th item in OP.

An external lithium battery can be used on either USB port if you need more battery runtime. I prefer powering through the micro USB port over the mini USB port. The mini port will charge the internal battery, that may or may not be desirable. Alkalines just don't have the energy to keep up with this scanner.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I listen to my fav list now don’t even put database on . I understand what your saying tho .
With the antenna setup that you have I don't blame you for wanting to DX.

Now that you have favorites list set up and considering the antennas that you have and how high up they are you might want to put a range of 25 miles on the database search. Continue to have all of the service types enabled. You will be surprised how far out you reach.

I think you've only had the radio a few weeks so you will get good at it. Remember if you find something on the database that you want to keep just hold on it by pressing Channel, then press enter and follow the prompts to put that object on the favorites list of your choice.

Last edited:

Vinnie1224

With the antenna setup that you have I don't blame you for wanting to DX.

Now that you have favorites list set up and considering the antennas that you have and how high up they are you might want to put a range of 25 miles on the database search. Continue to have all of the service types enabled. You will be surprised how far out you reach.

I think you've only had the radio a few weeks so you will get good at it. Remember if you find something on the database that you want to keep just hold on it by pressing Channel, then press enter and follow the prompts to put that object on the favorites list of your choice.
Okay will do thank you

Ubbe

I would think that range settings and GPS are only to be used while travelling but in your own neighbourhood you use favorite lists without location control.

I would suggest that when you start with a new scanner or antenna setup to initially scan using the database with the highest value possible in the range setting. It will take forever to make a complete scan cycle but as soon as the scan stops on a system or frequency, hold on to that by func+dept on trunked sites or the chan button on conventional frequencies to not loose the information, while in Sentinel move that system or conventional department to a favorite list and then avoid them on the scanner. (You have to drill down the menu system to do avoid on sites and conventional departments.) The other trunked sites or conventional depertments in the same system have to be set to avoid for now in Sentinel. If more sites or frequenies in the same system or conventional departments are received while scanning then remove the avoid from them in Sentinel. You don't have to avoid talkgroups, only sites, as TG's do not add any time to scanning speed.

If you spend some time doing this you will end up with favorite lists in Sentinel that only scans what you actually can hear from your location using your antenna system.

/Ubbe

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Try a Motorola speaker of this model type. It has all bass and no treble.

/Ubbe

I mounted one of those Motorola speakers in my car many years ago, and it performed beautifully.

I got a little nervous about it once I found out how low the impedance was (less than one Ohm, if I remember correctly). I haven't had the nerve to hook it up to any of more more expensive, finicky scanners since then for fear of burning out whatever pre-amp circuitry might be impacted by impedance that low.

Your thoughts?

Ubbe

I have one connected to a TRX-2, and the volume has to be at a 2 to equal to the internal one at 8.
I suppose all modern scanners use audio amplifiers that are short circuit, temperature and overload protected. Is it even possible to buy an unprotected 2 watt audio amplifier module today?
Haven't seen anyone that had to have the audio amplifier repaired. It's just common sense, if it sounds distorted and bad then reduce the volume.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.