SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Stopped picking up any signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

starsty96

SDS100 Question:
This just began last night and I’m not sure what caused it... it was sitting at the table like it usually does and I noticed it got somewhat unusually quiet. I didn’t think much of it until a few min went by and I looked at it and realized it had lost signal completely. I tried turning it off/back on... remove battery, moved the SD card, took the antenna off and back on, updated firmware, tried different systems, tried different channels, checked control channel for the trunked system etc, nothing at all. It picks up nothing. My other scanner DOES pick them all up just fine though...
I’m not sure what happened? I haven’t changed settings in forever. I didn’t push anything either.

It did pickup a signal for a brief moment a while after but when the screen went to sleep, the signal was lost. (I Monitor p25 trunked systems along with conventional channels together)
I let it sit overnight last night and when I turned it back on this morning, it worked flawlessly for a couple minutes and then completely stopped again. It scans, but there is no sign of the signal bar at all. Help please!!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
SDS100 Question:
This just began last night and I’m not sure what caused it... it was sitting at the table like it usually does and I noticed it got somewhat unusually quiet. I didn’t think much of it until a few min went by and I looked at it and realized it had lost signal completely. I tried turning it off/back on... remove battery, moved the SD card, took the antenna off and back on, updated firmware, tried different systems, tried different channels, checked control channel for the trunked system etc, nothing at all. It picks up nothing. My other scanner DOES pick them all up just fine though...
I’m not sure what happened? I haven’t changed settings in forever. I didn’t push anything either.

It did pickup a signal for a brief moment a while after but when the screen went to sleep, the signal was lost. (I Monitor p25 trunked systems along with conventional channels together)
I let it sit overnight last night and when I turned it back on this morning, it worked flawlessly for a couple minutes and then completely stopped again. It scans, but there is no sign of the signal bar at all. Help please!!

Anytime that anything strange happens to any of the SD card scanners, always suspect the SD card first. Re-format the card - preferably using this utility:

SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

(or use a new one), then use the "clear user data" in Sentinel and then write your programming back to the scanner.

May not help, but it's definitely the first place to start looking.

starsty96

Anytime that anything strange happens to any of the SD card scanners, always suspect the SD card first. Re-format the card - preferably using this utility:

SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

(or use a new one), then use the "clear user data" in Sentinel and then write your programming back to the scanner.

May not help, but it's definitely the first place to start looking.

just tried that. when i unplugged the scanner and let it turn back on, it started scanning again and picked up transmissions for a minute but once the screen went to sleep (which is how i have it set up), it stopped picking up anything and the signal bar once again is completely gone.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I just searched for a video I recorded when mine would lose signal, but I must have deleted it.

This might not be 100% same issue, but it is very close.

I would turn it on and it would receive fine for several minutes. After that it would slowly dwindle down to not receiving any signals. I have a P25 system with a tower about a mile from me. I usually receive it around -45 to -55 dBm. It would even stop receiving that one. I could watch it slowly getting more and more weak signal until it was gone. If I turned it off for a couple of minutes, it would fire up and scan like nothing happened.

When I sent the scanner in, I was without it for the normal 3-4 weeks. They ended up replacing it due to the fact that was it's third trip to Texas. .

tampatracker

I had the same rapid deterioration with my SDS100. The first sign of trouble were statc bursts breaking squelched right 4h but only on conventioal frequencies. All truncked systems were still coming in at that point, but the next day the scanner was completely deaf. Another issue was the RSSI showed - 35 and stayed stuck there. I replaced the SD card, changed the battery, etc.

starsty96

I had the same rapid deterioration with my SDS100. The first sign of trouble were statc bursts breaking squelched right 4h but only on conventioal frequencies. All truncked systems were still coming in at that point, but the next day the scanner was completely deaf. Another issue was the RSSI showed - 35 and stayed stuck there. I replaced the SD card, changed the battery, etc.
Wow! Did you end up having to send yours in for repair too? Or what was the fix/end result?

starsty96

I just searched for a video I recorded when mine would lose signal, but I must have deleted it.

This might not be 100% same issue, but it is very close.

I would turn it on and it would receive fine for several minutes. After that it would slowly dwindle down to not receiving any signals. I have a P25 system with a tower about a mile from me. I usually receive it around -45 to -55 dBm. It would even stop receiving that one. I could watch it slowly getting more and more weak signal until it was gone. If I turned it off for a couple of minutes, it would fire up and scan like nothing happened.

When I sent the scanner in, I was without it for the normal 3-4 weeks. They ended up replacing it due to the fact that was it's third trip to Texas. .
Sounds nearly the same as my issue. Works for a minute or 2, then screen goes to sleep (which is how I have it set up), and it just goes deaf after that. Yet all other radios pick the transmissions up

tampatracker

Wow! Did you end up having to send yours in for repair too? Or what was the fix/end result?
Yes I sent it in a couple of days ago just got the confirmation email from Uniden that they have received it so we'll see. I've heard of a couple of other people having the same issues that my radio experienced, in particular the stuck RSSI value and the rapid clicking when monitoring a VHF or UHF frequency. I included a pretty detailed note for the techs to take a look at so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

starsty96

Yes I sent it in a couple of days ago just got the confirmation email from Uniden that they have received it so we'll see. I've heard of a couple of other people having the same issues that my radio experienced, in particular the stuck RSSI value and the rapid clicking when monitoring a VHF or UHF frequency. I included a pretty detailed note for the techs to take a look at so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
How did you describe the issue to them? They asked me to write a detailed letter as well. Not sure how to fully describe it other than what I’ve mentioned here (which I suppose is good enough).

jeepers128

Mine did this as well. Clicks when it hits on a VHF frequency nothing from the analyzer on P25.

tampatracker

J
How did you describe the issue to them? They asked me to write a detailed letter as well. Not sure how to fully describe it other than what I’ve mentioned here (which I suppose is good enough).
Just describe what you noticed leading up to the end result, doesn't need to be too long but the more detail the better

starsty96

It really just stopped working just before I posted. So maybe 1 hour of 1.5 hour ago. So now I have to investigate on getting serviced.
Oh wow. Well if it turns out to be what I’m experiencing, Uniden said to send it in and they will repair it. Sounds like that’s all that can be done right now

WeBeCinYa

Please keep us posted on repair resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolderb

Mine just started doing this as well a couple of nights ago! This will be the 2nd time I've had to send it to Uniden for repair! I am going to DEMAND a replacement. I will not continue to pay additional money for shipping and spend weeks without this scanner that I paid over $700 for lesss than a year ago.

starsty96

I will be sure to keep everyone updated. Contacted uniden and they told me to send it in for repair. So I will be sending it in this week. Hopefully it doesn't take to long!

Status
Not open for further replies.