SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 µSD Card Issue or Sentinel Issue or Something Else?!

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Well this is weird from the usual "corruption" / µSD card issue I've seen here...

And before we say "just replace the microSD card" - I'm not convinced that's the problem. This may take a minute to explain.

Background: I simply wanted to make an edit (remove a couple of channels). I fired up Sentinel with the usual cable. So far, so good. I thought I'd do a download from the scanner before I did any edits. This is where it gets interesting.
No matter what, I never "see" an SD card listed. When I shut off the scanner it says it's writing to the SD card & please wait (normal). No errors. Scanner shuts off after a few secs. When I turn it on, everything seems fine, says it's reading ("Loading"). Again, no errors. Sooo, apparently, the card is good right? Maybe... maybe not? Ok, so I've tried 3 different cards with former downloads on them. They seem to read fine. They write fine. I even reset user data & settings, No joy.

I've tried different cables, no difference in behavior.
Sooo, the unit is working BUT the card is never visible, so things are working, but apparently can't be changed via Sentinel.

The questions:

So, does this really sound like a µSD card problem? My gut tells me it's more likely a Sentinel issue of some sort. The cable is good, I presume, because it kicks the scanner out of scanning and asks if I want a serial connection, etc. But I could be wrong. Sentinel seems to otherwise be working fine.

Anyone else ever have this issue? Any guesses / tips on the solution or best guesses?

I pray it's not the SDS200 itself.

Thanks tons!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Maybe... maybe not?

Maybe not. Download and install this SD card formatter (recommended by Uniden) on your PC:

Format the suspect card with the "Overwrite format" option. If you have an SD card reader, that will be faster that the scanner in mass storage mode.

If the format program can't see the card, or if there is an error formatting.... replace the card. If it formats without error, then use Sentinel's "clear user data" function after the format, then write from Sentinel to the card.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
To rule out the card itself, you could try the 30 day proscan and try wired lan or even WiFi and see if it shows up. If it works it could indicate a usb problem even tho you tried 2 cables.

Also, 200 has front and rear usb and the one on the front is for programming and the one the rear is for future use as per the manual. Where on the 200 did you plug into?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Like Dave3825 said, be sure you are using the FRONT Micro USB Connector.

If that is what you are using perhaps it is a bad USB port or even an issue with the card slot. Try an SD-Card reader, these are cheap at BestBuy, Walgreens, Amazon etc. Your computer might already have an SD-Card reader built-in.
If it works with an external card reader then there is likely a radio issue.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Seems like the OP is using the correct (working) USB port in mass storage mode and has a good USB cable as he is not having having problems reading or writing to his other SD cards if I'm reading his post correctly....

Ok, so I've tried 3 different cards with former downloads on them. They seem to read fine. They write fine.

Last edited:

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
And what do you select when it asks if you want a serial connection, etc?
I press "E" (Mass Storage)
It says writing to mass storage. Then enters mass storage mode.
Same as always. But the card is never visible with Sentinel. Even with "Display all drives" (Scanner --> Clear User Data).

Just trying to do something I've done hundreds of times successfully in the past, but not working now. <<Sigh>> :unsure:

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Like Dave3825 said, be sure you are using the FRONT Micro USB Connector.
Thanks for the tip, but I've never used the rear one.
If that is what you are using perhaps it is a bad USB port or even an issue with the card slot. Try an SD-Card reader, these are cheap at BestBuy, Walgreens, Amazon etc. Your computer might already have an SD-Card reader built-in.
If it works with an external card reader then there is likely a radio issue.
Not fault finding - just asking: But if it were a USB port or card slot issue, wouldn't the scanner itself balk with an error or code (it never does)? It (says) it reads at power up and writes at shut down. I have a SD card slot on my laptop, so I put the µSD card in a SD card shell/carrier.
I agree - to a point - it COULD be a radio issue... but it could be a Sentinel issue of some sort - since the radio seems happy, but it's Sentinel that never sees the card (corrupted Windows registry, etc.?). My next trick will be to uninstall / clean install Sentinel. Easier than sending the radio away and have it come back ("NTF" - No trouble found).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep everyone posted here as I work through the suggestions.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Maybe not. Download and install this SD card formatter (recommended by Uniden) on your PC:

Format the suspect card with the "Overwrite format" option. If you have an SD card reader, that will be faster that the scanner in mass storage mode.
Doing that now... taking a good long time... To be continued. But it sees the card (so does the SDS200). It's Sentinel that's not seeing it.
If the format program can't see the card, or if there is an error formatting.... replace the card. If it formats without error, then use Sentinel's "clear user data" function after the format, then write from Sentinel to the card.

Yeah, that would be the usual route, right? But when I get to the "Clear user data" screen - and show all the drives (whatever the exact verbiage is) - nothing is visible. Sentinel just does not see the µSD card. I'm going to try Sentinel on a different PC. If that works, I'll remove & clean install Sentinel again.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and reply & trying to help!

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
This is an assumption as he doesn’t mention MSM or a USB connection that allowed him to access the card.
Not sure what "MSM" means - too old & medicated - but I'm using the front USB connection, with a known good USB cable (1 of 3 I have - I've tried other as well, same story every time). Sentinel doesn't see the µSD card.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
To rule out the card itself, you could try the 30 day proscan and try wired lan or even WiFi and see if it shows up. If it works it could indicate a usb problem even tho you tried 2 cables.

Also, 200 has front and rear usb and the one on the front is for programming and the one the rear is for future use as per the manual. Where on the 200 did you plug into?
Great idea... I'll add that to my "To Try" list if I can't nail it soon.
And I've only ever used the front/USB B port.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions... THANKS!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure it is a Sentinel software issue, otherwise there would be numerous posts saying "My Sentinel Ain't Working".

Are you able to use a card reader to rule out an issue with the scanner? If you can, could you post a screen shot of what the SD directory shows when accessing the SD card via Windows Explorer? We might be able to see if some directory or along those lines, is missing.

My feeling is that there is some kind of error being placed by Sentinel on all of your cards and that's throwing a wrench into the gears.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Sooo, something weird is going on - on the PC side. My laptop - which I usually use to update the scanner - is seemingly the problem. For funsies, I tried my desktop PC and was suddenly fine. I could see the µSD card. Using the same cable as I was trying with the laptop. To me, this indicates something hardware/software-wise on the PC side being the issue. The scanner, µSD card and cable remained the same.

I uninstalled Sentinel via Control Panel (Windows 11) and reinstalled. Hmmm... problem remained. Tried a different USB port on my laptop - same problem, This is starting to drive me nuts.

Fortunately, I can fall back to the desktop PC if I really need to update or edit something, that's a bit of a PITA (unplugging from where I prefer to use the scanner, relocating, etc.). Besides, things were great for a few years with the laptop. Not sure what suddenly changed. IDK.

I think I can say the µSD card(s) and cables are all good. But Sentinel/laptop are under suspicion now.

Thanks for reading! Suggestions, hints, tips, exorcisms are appreciated.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
But when I get to the "Clear user data" screen - and show all the drives (whatever the exact verbiage is) - nothing is visible.
When the box pops up, check the box to "Display All Drives", then click Ok which then adds the necessary files Uniden requires for programming.. After that (while the scanner is in Mass Storage Mode), then Write to Scanner.