SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 µSD Card Issue or Sentinel Issue or Something Else?!

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Well this is weird from the usual "corruption" / µSD card issue I've seen here...

And before we say "just replace the microSD card" - I'm not convinced that's the problem. This may take a minute to explain.

Background: I simply wanted to make an edit (remove a couple of channels). I fired up Sentinel with the usual cable. So far, so good. I thought I'd do a download from the scanner before I did any edits. This is where it gets interesting.
No matter what, I never "see" an SD card listed. When I shut off the scanner it says it's writing to the SD card & please wait (normal). No errors. Scanner shuts off after a few secs. When I turn it on, everything seems fine, says it's reading ("Loading"). Again, no errors. Sooo, apparently, the card is good right? Maybe... maybe not? Ok, so I've tried 3 different cards with former downloads on them. They seem to read fine. They write fine. I even reset user data & settings, No joy.

I've tried different cables, no difference in behavior.
Sooo, the unit is working BUT the card is never visible, so things are working, but apparently can't be changed via Sentinel.

The questions:

So, does this really sound like a µSD card problem? My gut tells me it's more likely a Sentinel issue of some sort. The cable is good, I presume, because it kicks the scanner out of scanning and asks if I want a serial connection, etc. But I could be wrong. Sentinel seems to otherwise be working fine.

Anyone else ever have this issue? Any guesses / tips on the solution or best guesses?

I pray it's not the SDS200 itself.

Thanks tons!

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Maybe try running System File Checker to check and repair the Windows OS. I believe the command is sfc /scannow from a command prompt.
Another good idea - however: No errors reported, and no other USB errors of any kind. I use my USB ports frequently - USB drives (mass storage), flash drives, audio equipment, photographic equipment, etc. Nothing else has any problems. But a good idea.

1729213247852.png

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Well this is weird from the usual "corruption" / µSD card issue I've seen here...

And before we say "just replace the microSD card" - I'm not convinced that's the problem. This may take a minute to explain.

Background: I simply wanted to make an edit (remove a couple of channels). I fired up Sentinel with the usual cable. So far, so good. I thought I'd do a download from the scanner before I did any edits. This is where it gets interesting.
No matter what, I never "see" an SD card listed. When I shut off the scanner it says it's writing to the SD card & please wait (normal). No errors. Scanner shuts off after a few secs. When I turn it on, everything seems fine, says it's reading ("Loading"). Again, no errors. Sooo, apparently, the card is good right? Maybe... maybe not? Ok, so I've tried 3 different cards with former downloads on them. They seem to read fine. They write fine. I even reset user data & settings, No joy.

I've tried different cables, no difference in behavior.
Sooo, the unit is working BUT the card is never visible, so things are working, but apparently can't be changed via Sentinel.

The questions:

So, does this really sound like a µSD card problem? My gut tells me it's more likely a Sentinel issue of some sort. The cable is good, I presume, because it kicks the scanner out of scanning and asks if I want a serial connection, etc. But I could be wrong. Sentinel seems to otherwise be working fine.

Anyone else ever have this issue? Any guesses / tips on the solution or best guesses?

I pray it's not the SDS200 itself.

Thanks tons!
So this worked on another computer. Are you using the same USB port all the time? If so, try another USB port for the troubled computer. IMO. You could also try reinstalling Sentinel or USB drivers again.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
My external reader and SDS200 shows 'USB Drive' on Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview
Reserving comments on these posts - as I don't yet run ProScan and I need someone to explain the relevance of the comments to me. NO offense to anyone commenting. I only use Sentinel at the moment. I may try ProScan later* for testing purposes to see if I can get around the issue and actually evaluate it.

* = I'm leaving town this weekend and won't be back for a few days. I'll resume trouble-shooting (which may include ProScan) when I return. Tonight I have to pack and get ready to leave in the a.m.! I'll be able to read comments while I'm gone - bringing laptop - but I'm probably not bringing the scanner.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Reserving comments on these posts - as I don't yet run ProScan and I need someone to explain the relevance of the comments to me. NO offense to anyone commenting. I only use Sentinel at the moment.
Those are Windows File Explorer screenshots I was referring to that may help to find out why Sentinel is not seeing the SD card.
We'll test with Sentinel after we get the lower layer potential problem resolved.

Last edited:

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
The fact that the Recycle Bin and System Volume Information files are on your SD card would indicate that for some reason your laptop Windows installation is now classifying the card as a "local disk" rather than a removable disk. Something has changed or become corrupt in your laptop's OS. Windows will not write those files to a drive that it recognizes as a removeable disk.... and Sentinel is purposely designed to only recognize what Windows classifies as “removable“ disks. That's to prevent someone from accidentally using "clear user data" on their internal hard drive.
The fact that the Recycle Bin and System Volume Information files are on your SD card would indicate that for some reason your laptop Windows installation is now classifying the card as a "local disk" rather than a removable disk. Something has changed or become corrupt in your laptop's OS. Windows will not write those files to a drive that it recognizes as a removeable disk.... and Sentinel is purposely designed to only recognize what Windows classifies as “removable“ disks. That's to prevent someone from accidentally using "clear user data" on their internal hard drive.

To see if this has indeed happened to your laptop, connect either your card reader, or your SDS200 in mass storage mode to your laptop with the SD card in it. Next, in the Windows file explorer, right click on the SD card and select "properties". Your SD card should show as a "removeable disk". (This is with Windows 64 bit 11 Home).

View attachment 170987

If your SD card shows as a "Local Disk" (or anything other than a removeable disk)...

View attachment 170988

then the Windows OS on your laptop has become corrupted and is classifying your SD card as an internal drive or an external, large volume USB hard drive and Sentinel will not recognize those types of drives. To verify that, connect either the card reader or SDS200 in mass storage mode with the card in it to your desktop, repeat the above steps, and see if your desktop now classifies the SD card as a removeable disk.

To see if this has indeed happened to your laptop, connect either your card reader, or your SDS200 in mass storage mode to your laptop with the SD card in it. Next, in the Windows file explorer, right click on the SD card and select "properties". Your SD card should show as a "removeable disk". (This is with Windows 64 bit 11 Home).

View attachment 170987

If your SD card shows as a "Local Disk" (or anything other than a removeable disk)...

View attachment 170988

then the Windows OS on your laptop has become corrupted and is classifying your SD card as an internal drive or an external, large volume USB hard drive and Sentinel will not recognize those types of drives. To verify that, connect either the card reader or SDS200 in mass storage mode with the card in it to your desktop, repeat the above steps, and see if your desktop now classifies the SD card as a removeable disk.

By Jove, I think you nailed it!

Indeed - it is showing up as "Local" ! (See below)

1729215081420.png

So, I greatly appreciate your most elucidating comment. However (and you knew that was coming, right?) you said (last sentence of your comment): "
To verify that, connect either the card reader or SDS200 in mass storage mode with the card in it to your desktop, repeat the above steps, and see if your desktop now classifies the SD card as a removeable disk.
I'm being especially dense this evening (getting ready for a trip out of town for a few days to attend a relative's funeral, etc). - but - that last sentence initially didn't make any sense. It sounded like a "rinse & repeat" - but what changed? NEVERRRRMIIIND... I re-read that a few times and finally caught what you meant, I think - I think you're saying to check the card on the DESKTOP PC instead of the usual LAPTOP - and see if that shows it as a REMOVABLE (probably will). Sooo, what that will prove is - what? - that my LAPTOP OS is corrupted in some capacity? I'm not arguing, but I am curious. Other flash drives, SD cards, etc; all seem to work (R/W ok). Regardless, I guess a Windows repair is in order? Thanks so much! I have the skillset, but never thought to NOTICE the difference - it was driving me nutso! THANKS SO MUCH! (y) You're my hero on this one!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I think you're saying to check the card on the DESKTOP PC instead of the usual LAPTOP - and see if that shows it as a REMOVABLE (probably will). Sooo, what that will prove is - what? - that my LAPTOP OS is corrupted in some capacity? I'm not arguing, but I am curious.

Yes, check the properties of the SD card drive when connected to the desktop just as you did on the laptop and see if the desktop PC will show it as a removeable drive (or at least not a "local disk"). It should, since Sentinel will recognize it on your desktop... and Sentinel will not recognize or work with an SD card identified by Windows as a "local disk".

I've only heard of that issue one other time..... there was a very lengthy thread about that issue on the (now defunct) homepatrol.com forum website site way back when the Home Patrol 1 was first released some 14 years ago. UPMan (and the Uniden engineers he consulted with) eventually determined that the issue was indeed caused by Windows seeing the OP's SD card as a "local disk", which Sentinel will not recognize. I don't believe that a specific fix ( as far as a simple registry entry or Windows setting that had been changed ) was ever identified as the culprit. As I recall (it was a long time ago), the OP of that thread tried a Windows repair, but eventually did a complete, clean re-install of Windows on the PC he was using, and the issue was corrected.

As Bob from ProScan recommends in his post above, google for that issue to see if any simple cause/remedy is now known.