SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 µSD Card Issue or Sentinel Issue or Something Else?!

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Well this is weird from the usual "corruption" / µSD card issue I've seen here...

And before we say "just replace the microSD card" - I'm not convinced that's the problem. This may take a minute to explain.

Background: I simply wanted to make an edit (remove a couple of channels). I fired up Sentinel with the usual cable. So far, so good. I thought I'd do a download from the scanner before I did any edits. This is where it gets interesting.
No matter what, I never "see" an SD card listed. When I shut off the scanner it says it's writing to the SD card & please wait (normal). No errors. Scanner shuts off after a few secs. When I turn it on, everything seems fine, says it's reading ("Loading"). Again, no errors. Sooo, apparently, the card is good right? Maybe... maybe not? Ok, so I've tried 3 different cards with former downloads on them. They seem to read fine. They write fine. I even reset user data & settings, No joy.

I've tried different cables, no difference in behavior.
Sooo, the unit is working BUT the card is never visible, so things are working, but apparently can't be changed via Sentinel.

The questions:

So, does this really sound like a µSD card problem? My gut tells me it's more likely a Sentinel issue of some sort. The cable is good, I presume, because it kicks the scanner out of scanning and asks if I want a serial connection, etc. But I could be wrong. Sentinel seems to otherwise be working fine.

Anyone else ever have this issue? Any guesses / tips on the solution or best guesses?

I pray it's not the SDS200 itself.

Thanks tons!

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure it is a Sentinel software issue, otherwise there would be numerous posts saying "My Sentinel Ain't Working".

Are you able to use a card reader to rule out an issue with the scanner? If you can, could you post a screen shot of what the SD directory shows when accessing the SD card via Windows Explorer? We might be able to see if some directory or along those lines, is missing.

My feeling is that there is some kind of error being placed by Sentinel on all of your cards and that's throwing a wrench into the gears.
Since the 3 cards I have all seemed to be able to read & written to when in the scanner (by the scanner) - again, it's only Sentinel that can't see the card - and only on my laptop, I'm presuming the cards are good. The scanner itself is happy as a clam.

When I say Sentinel isn't seeing the card, I mean "my" Sentinel, in my installation and environment. Not everyone's Sentinel :) Not saying the app is generally faulty. Just saying it's not working for ME right NOW.

Here's what the directory looks like per Windows:

1729135501762.png

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The presence of the Recycle bin and System Volume Information on your SD card leads me to suspect you may not have re-formatted it correctly and done a Clear User Data. When I look at the SD card in my scanner, those files are absent. So I wonder if something there isn't creating a headache for your laptop, like not knowing which recycle bin or system volume info is applicable.

Then I'm also wondering where your laptop is looking for your Sentinel data folder. (That's why using two different computers for programming may create issues because of out of sync data.)

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
The presence of the Recycle bin and System Volume Information on your SD card leads me to suspect you may not have re-formatted it correctly and done a Clear User Data. When I look at the SD card in my scanner, those files are absent. So I wonder if something there isn't creating a headache for your laptop, like not knowing which recycle bin or system volume info is applicable.

Then I'm also wondering where your laptop is looking for your Sentinel data folder. (That's why using two different computers for programming may create issues because of out of sync data.)
My preferences in Windows are set to show hidden files. 😁

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber

Well I normally only use the laptop which has, until today, worked fine. But to your point: I'm not sure why Sentinel would care if it was installed on multiple PC's as long as it finds what it needs in the local environment, if you know what I mean. I would think there shouldn't be anything on the card or scanner that references an origin data path back on a pc. In other words, I would expect each installation to be "stand alone". Regardless, I took the default installation in each case - nothing exotic or custom. And I haven't used the desktop Sentinel in a year or more - though I updated to latest DB (& version of Sentinel if it was outdated - can't remember). It was working fine on the laptop at least a couple years and ceased earlier today. Note : I previously hadn't used Sentinel on the laptop for maybe a couple months. I have installed and removed other apps in that timeframe. When I tried on the desktop PC earlier tonight, it worked just fine. In my mind that kind of fingers the laptop as having the problem. I wonder if some registry key or other resource or something might've gotten overwritten by another app or system update, etc. Lots of variables & possibilities! 🥴

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
@kudzu_kid
Can you go into the the drive properties. See if the Type and File system matches this image.
{edit} If it shows something else on the other computer that Sentinel is seeing the SD card then that has to be investigated.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
While the read/write function is working when you power up or power down, that’s only a function of the scanner, between the scanner and the onboard SD Card. It has nothing to do with the software editing program you use (sentinel, PROSCAN, Butel) because it’s not connected to a computer wher those programs reside. Your problem resides between the scanner and the software program. You are choosing the correct “E” selection, putting the scanner in the proper mode to communicate with Sentinel but Sentinel (your computer) is not reading the drive (the SD Card). The computer is not recognizing the new drive. When I edit my FL’s the computer recognizes the SD Card as the “D” drive. (The computer assigns the next available letter in the alphabet, in my case and most, it’s the D drive but yours may be different. Regardless of what letter drive it shows up on, as long as it’s recognized you are good to go.)

Even though you have done everything correctly, for some reason your computer is not recognizing the SD Card as a new drive. Sorry, I can’t pinpoint exactly why, maybe a driver became corrupt on the computer, or no drive at all, but previous attempts being successful I doubt no driver installed is the problem. In any case, it’s the computer not recognizing the new drive. I would also discount your cable… as you say, you’ve tried 3 different ones and the probability of all three going bad is astronomical, so your cable is good.

Ubbe

You can never create or have a recycle bin on a SD card. In some way you have made that drive letter of the SD card in Windows to behave as a non SD card. Right click on the drive letter and check if you can see anything suspicious. Perhaps its another program you are using, a cloud software or backup or security program that are doing this.

Recycle bin for SD cards

/Ubbe

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Here's what the directory looks like per Windows

The fact that the Recycle Bin and System Volume Information files are on your SD card would indicate that for some reason your laptop Windows installation is now classifying the card as a "local disk" rather than a removable disk. Something has changed or become corrupt in your laptop's OS. Windows will not write those files to a drive that it recognizes as a removeable disk.... and Sentinel is purposely designed to only recognize what Windows classifies as “removable“ disks. That's to prevent someone from accidentally using "clear user data" on their internal hard drive.

To see if this has indeed happened to your laptop, connect either your card reader, or your SDS200 in mass storage mode to your laptop with the SD card in it. Next, in the Windows file explorer, right click on the SD card and select "properties". Your SD card should show as a "removeable disk". (This is with Windows 64 bit 11 Home).

1729171375370.png

If your SD card shows as a "Local Disk" (or anything other than a removeable disk)...

1729171648009.png

then the Windows OS on your laptop has become corrupted and is classifying your SD card as an internal drive or an external, large volume USB hard drive and Sentinel will not recognize those types of drives. To verify that, connect either the card reader or SDS200 in mass storage mode with the card in it to your desktop, repeat the above steps, and see if your desktop now classifies the SD card as a removeable disk.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
When the box pops up, check the box to "Display All Drives", then click Ok which then adds the necessary files Uniden requires for programming.. After that (while the scanner is in Mass Storage Mode), then Write to Scanner.
Did you perform this task? A lot of focus on the PC might not be necessary if you don't have the programming files necessary and the SD card won't be recognized. You can use the card reader instead of directly into the scanner and after you Write to Scanner, put the card into the scanner.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
With an external card reader on my PC it shows as "USB Drive"...

When I plug my external reader, a USB Hub and as Removable Disk appear.

1729177349787.png

Randy, what does it show as if you leave the reader plugged in without the card? Mine stays the same.

I have no issues with Sentinel or Proscan seeing my card thru either the cable or a reader but do have a System Volume Information folder.

1729177259255.png

Wonder if running this thing and letting it fix errors creates a recycle bin and or system volume Information.

1729177162741.png

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this makes a difference, but do you have the proper scanner model selected in the drop down menu where you can select the 436/536 or sds100/200 scanner in Sentinel?
Fair question indeed! I never want to overlook the obvious. Just checked, and indeed I do have the SDS200 selected as the target:

1729211902436.png