SDS200 Hum repaired, but returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Calm down Joe. I don't work for Uniden, I bash them enough for things like my SDS not being able to recieve the same systems my WS1098 does in my local area posts. As stated by being mystified, I am not completely knowledgable on how gounding works or electricity. Not trolling, and as I have posted, the hum fix part worked satisfactorily for me, until it stopped working unless pressing on my top case, so hoping to illuminate the possibility that the fix may have to be reapplied after some time passes, for those that notice it creep back into their lives.

Paul

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No the hum thread has not been revived. The "fixes" reduced the hum but it returned a month later for people who used the Uniden part to mitigate it. The original poster did not say the part didn't reduce the hum. It did. But the hum came back after a month for him and it least another person. In other words he is saying the Uniden part fix failed after a month.

Great, glad to hear you have no issues so want the thread closed. Gee, I'm not sick so I think all hospitals should be closed. If I'm not sick I am free not to go to the hospital. You don't have the hum issue so you are free to skip this thread. If you want threads closed because they don't affect you apply to be a moderator.

The point of this thread us not to complain that the metal piece fix wasn't good enough. It's to let Uniden and potential buyers know that whatever good it did at mitigatng the thread doesn't last resulting in the same amount if hum as before the "fix".

...and then what? The previous sticky covers it quite well. The part is not intended to eliminate the processor noise, but reduce it/ Once the amp filters are used in conjunction with the mitigation part, that has been found to eliminate the noise. Are you saying everyone reporting the "dreaded return of the hum" has done these two steps? What is their amp off setting? Let's work with what we know, what we have and move on. This isn't helping anyone, just the same few people filling the thread in an attempt to put some pressure for a permanent fix. I would prefer we wait until UPMan is back to his health and let him address the masses on anything in the works. Or you can just wait until the next scanner comes out so we can find more problems. By the way, I have alot of copper tape I didn't use on my 436's battery compartment. :LOL:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That is a very important tool for mitigating the noise when standing by and not receiving anything.

We have one 700 megahertz P2 simulcast system that has one site called simulcast and 26 Towers close together. We were experiencing clipped transmissions and missed transmissions all together. Wasn't sure if it was the amp off setting I was using or something else.

That update also included the first series of filters, I became very familiar with them right away and our system that was very problematic with the SDS 100 and 200 responded amazingly well to the invert filter. It was like a freaking miracle. No more clipped or missing Transmissions. The problem was not caused by the Amp off setting being used.

We only had one sds200 at that time but of the four radios I have programmed and maintained two of them are in the office I work at and two are personally owned by employees and used at home.

Something interesting I noticed was the hum which is present on all four radios is at different levels and no matter what I did on one of them when a signal came over that was distant analog with low volume, a VHF High simplex State Police Network channel the hum could actually be heard during the transmission. There are some other analog lower volume systems where this happens so other methods of mitigation are also important to follow through with in addition to the amp off setting.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
That is a very important tool for mitigating the noise when standing by and not receiving anything.

We have one 700 megahertz P2 simulcast system that has one site called simulcast and 26 Towers close together. We were experiencing clipped transmissions and missed transmissions all together. Wasn't sure if it was the amp off setting I was using or something else.

That update also included the first series of filters, I became very familiar with them right away and our system that was very problematic with the SDS 100 and 200 responded amazingly well to the invert filter. It was like a freaking miracle. No more clipped or missing Transmissions. The problem was not caused by the Amp off setting being used.

We only had one sds200 at that time but of the four radios I have programmed and maintained two of them are in the office I work at and two are personally owned by employees and used at home.

Something interesting I noticed was the hum which is present on all four radios is at different levels and no matter what I did on one of them when a signal came over that was distant analog with low volume, a VHF High simplex State Police Network channel the hum could actually be heard during the transmission. There are some other analog lower volume systems where this happens so other methods of mitigation are also important to follow through with in addition to the amp off setting.

You bring up another point. Some analog systems have a "hum" when transmitting. I have a few around here and have noticed it on every scanner owned. Digital has solved this issue.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You bring up another point. Some analog systems have a "hum" when transmitting. I have a few around here and have noticed it on every scanner owned. Digital has solved this issue.

That can often be the PL tone used by the system. Some user radios can suppress PL tones but scanners usually don't. I've also heard transmitters that simply had a hum as part of its signal also so both are possible.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Absolutely, Point well taken, especially the New Jersey State Police SPEN system which an ancient VHF High simplex network and involves all the barracks, substations, division headquarters, headquarters, real time crime labs, Marine stations etc etc. There could be any number of reasons for the awful hum, buzzing and sometimes inaudible transmissions from some of the stations when they do the daily roll call LOL. And it's funny everybody always says... Loud and clear. The system is anything but... we also listen to VHF High marine frequencies as we are on the water and you will find all kinds of inconsistencies with those frequencies too.

No, this hum is the old familiar hum from the radio. I don't really hear it during a simulcast transmission or even type II smartzone systems with good volume.

I appreciate your point, I find it interesting that out of the four radios, the hum is inconsistent.

Well I'm running out the door for today. I'll be back on RR tonight.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
OK, so I reapplied my fix, but I MODIFIED the Uniden part first. Took the case apart, which took all of 30-45 seconds. I removed the part, shined it up, along with the aluminum rail along the top of the scanner. I then BENT the Uniden fix part, so that the front and back were lower, and the middle was higher. I reinserted the part, which was now, providing it's own tension against the top of the LCD metal and the rearward case aluminum. I put the top shield back on, but instead of pressing on the area OVER the fix part as Uniden specifies, I found that pressing on the areas over where the screws are actually aligns the front of the shield properly. If you press the front only, you will see if you let off pressure, the gap opens when you let go. If you press the rear sides where the screws are, tighten them, then let off, the gap doesn't open. Next, I slid the outer shell back on, no special proceedure.

I turned on the scanner, and it is super quite...I have to put my nose 6 inches from my external speaker, or the side of my ear 1 foot from it, to even make out any hum or buzz. I recommend the FIX PART BENDING before adding more copper and other more extensive modifications.

Paul

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Forming an assumption from a lot size of 5 is poor practice and pretty much useless. Read up on using statistics.

You might want to read up on the law of averages. Basic Statistics 101

But then again, as we all know, 85.5% of statistics are mostly wild guesses har-har

Joe_Blough

...and then what? The previous sticky covers it quite well. The part is not intended to eliminate the processor noise, but reduce it/ Once the amp filters are used in conjunction with the mitigation part, that has been found to eliminate the noise. Are you saying everyone reporting the "dreaded return of the hum" has done these two steps? What is their amp off setting? Let's work with what we know, what we have and move on. This isn't helping anyone, just the same few people filling the thread in an attempt to put some pressure for a permanent fix. I would prefer we wait until UPMan is back to his health and let him address the masses on anything in the works. Or you can just wait until the next scanner comes out so we can find more problems. By the way, I have alot of copper tape I didn't use on my 436's battery compartment. :LOL:
Oh so now you are saying the Uniden metal piece was only meant to be a temporary fix before the hum returns? You don't seem to be getting it. Okay the hum is reduced 90% so it is not eliminated, just reduced. We get that. But then it returns to 100%. The reduction didn't last. That's not covered in the sticky. One person already has had to redo the metal piece fix by bending it, but according to you he wouldn't have had to do that once the amp filters are used. So using the amp filters causes the metal part to bend eliminating the hum? Are you saying anyone reporting the dreaded return of the hum has not done the two steps?

For a $700 scanner people do need to put pressure on Uniden for a permanent fix. You don't have the issue put you continue to chime in on what everyone with the issue should do or what you prefer happens with this thread. Upman continues to visit the forums and was here 4 days ago.

As I mentioned before you can always apply to be a moderator and close all the threads that don't apply to you, since you don't seem to have the ability to skip such threads and just want to tell everyone what to do like a school yard bully. Start with shutting down all the state forums since 49 of them don't apply to you.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Oh so now you are saying the Uniden metal piece was only meant to be a temporary fix before the hum returns? You don't seem to be getting it. Okay the hum is reduced 90% so it is not eliminated, just reduced. We get that. But then it returns to 100%. The reduction didn't last. That's not covered in the sticky. One person already has had to redo the metal piece fix by bending it, but according to you he wouldn't have had to do that once the amp filters are used. So using the amp filters causes the metal part to bend eliminating the hum? Are you saying anyone reporting the dreaded return of the hum has not done the two steps?

For a $700 scanner people do need to put pressure on Uniden for a permanent fix. You don't have the issue put you continue to chime in on what everyone with the issue should do or what you prefer happens with this thread. Upman continues to visit the forums and was here 4 days ago.

As I mentioned before you can always apply to be a moderator and close all the threads that don't apply to you, since you don't seem to have the ability to skip such threads and just want to tell everyone what to do like a school yard bully. Start with shutting down all the state forums since 49 of them don't apply to you.

In this thread: SDS200 - SDS200 Hum Reports
Post #255 answers your question.

As usual, you keep beating the proverbial dead horse. If and if their is any updates, UPMan or Uniden Support will inform us. These endless posts on the same subject serve no purpose as their is a sticky that covers the issue in it's entirety created by none other than UPMan. A private message to Uniden Support or a phone call would make them aware of the issue experienced and maybe a recommendation will be made.

Joe_Blough....quick question...do you have either an SDS100 or 200? I have an idea

If this is true, why is this an issue?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The AMP cut off is great for people who enjoy hearing keypad beeps a second after pressing a button, or missing the first second of a transmission, or in general, like the sensation of remotely controlling a scanner over the internet with asociatyed delays. :)

Stll happy aghain with my bent part hum rerepair! :-D

Paul

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The AMP cut off is great for people who enjoy hearing keypad beeps a second after pressing a button, or missing the first second of a transmission, or in general, like the sensation of remotely controlling a scanner over the internet with asociatyed delays. :)

Stll happy aghain with my bent part hum rerepair! :-D

Paul

I use the 100ms setting and am hearing the beginning of all transmissions. My key beeps are always turned off so a non-issue. But...for those sleeping with their scanner in a quiet room, this should resolve any processor noise in between transmissions. Besides...if you're a heavy sleeper, you miss the beginning of transmissions anyway..:sleep:. My part isn't bent though :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I hate others are having problems and the purpose here is to help each other and not BASH others.
The OP is and was looking for things that help with the problem IF YOU CAN NOT HELP TAKE YOUR BASHING TO YOUR OWN THREAD. I am 1 of the lucky few my 1st batch release SDS100 has been trouble free and has no hum bought from The Ham Station and drop shipped from the Texas Warehouse to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.