SDS200 Hum Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
I just got mine about a week ago. Sounded good until 2 days ago, now I have a hum. It stops if I squeeze the case like someone suggested. Any other tips on the copper tape fix or how to do it? Love the scanner overall. It's pulling in trunked systems I never could hear on my 536HP. The hum is a little annoying.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I just got mine about a week ago. Sounded good until 2 days ago, now I have a hum. It stops if I squeeze the case like someone suggested. Any other tips on the copper tape fix or how to do it? Love the scanner overall. It's pulling in trunked systems I never could hear on my 536HP. The hum is a little annoying.

I don't know where you put the cooper tape at? I have my 200 at uniden see why the hum is there even with the part I put in.

torishu

This is how I've applied some copper tape to the NMP200 part to improve conductivity with the metal lid and ground everything better than the part achieved for me alone.

I've layered it up a bit. Probably six pieces here, with a few on the underside of the metal lid where it meets as well. How many layers you need would depend on the thickness of your roll of copper tape and how convex/concave your individual metal lid for the SDS200 is.

The tape was installed after I installed the NMP200 part, only on the exposed part of the NMP200. The NMP200 part needs to be thicker in this area, IMO, but it has to be as thin as it is to wedge near the display and casing in front.

Don't ovedo it with the tape or you'll have trouble sliding the black cover over the metal lid. You'll know it's right when the resistance is just enough without requiring force to slide the black cover back on.

Attempt at your own risk, and be QUITE sure not to lose any copper shavings when cutting the tape.

20190606_153712a.jpg

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
When my unit comes back and if the hum still there I'll have to order some tape and try it. I had bought a roll of copper tape for the 436 than a major hurricane came I thought I grab it but when I came back it was gone.

torishu

bravo, I would certainly give that a shot.

I did this on my first SDS200 when I wasn't happy with the "hum" level after I installed the part. It reduced the "hum" quite noticeably.

Then I got my second SDS200 and the "hum" was louder than my first unit. I couldn't tell if the part was installed or not. Opened it up, the part was installed. So I applied the copper tape and it reduced the "hum" level so it was right in line with my first SDS200.

I've done this on a few units for family/friends/acquaintances and it has reduced the "hum" level on all of them so they all sound like my units now. The noise is still noticeable, but you need to be in a pin-drop quiet room. I'm quite satisfied with the units now.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the pic of the fix. seems like the case is the issue to me. maybe they'll just make a new case at some point

torishu

On the tape have you put full square or half on the part and how many layers?

I just cut the tape so it would fit on the exposed part. Part is installed, then I put the tape on what's sticking out/exposed -- the visible portion. For my particular roll of tape, that meant cutting maybe a quarter inch or so off of the end and then I cut that into threes, layered them up. It'll be obvious when you open the unit and see the NMP200.

Each unit requires a different number of layers. The one in the picture has probably six layers with a few on the underside of the metal lid where they meet as well. But I've had to use eight layers on another unit. So I think it all depends on how convex/concave your particular lid might be. Might even require more than eight if you don't put any on the underside of the lid like I did.

Also, I imagine different rolls have different thicknesses, so what works for me likely needs adjusting with a different roll of copper tape.

hth999

I just received my SDS200 a few days ago. It has the part ( NMP200 ) installed. My unit is quiet when using the internal speaker. It's also quiet when using a Uniden BC7 external speaker. I know this is a small speaker, but the audio is improved in terms of treble for P25. At least in my area it is. Now if I connect a MFJ -281 ( ClearTone Speaker ) the audio is super clear, high treble. However, you can then hear the " Hum " in a quiet room, but you have be be very close to the speaker to hear it. Neither speaker is amplified, but the BC7 from Uniden sounds better. Just the right amount of bass and treble for my ears. The BC7 is an improvement over the internal speaker in my opinion. I think it's a good option for indoors, however in a vehicle probably not the best. I have to turn the volume up to about 9-10 for enough volume in my shack. BC7 works for me.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the scrutiny on this issue has gotten to an unrealistic point. I hope so, I still want one of these.

hth999

Let me put it this way.....If you shell out 699.00, and get a unit that has the documented noise ( see several videos early in post ) you won't be happy. You won't feel the issue is unrealistic at that point. I've only had mine for a couple of days....hope it stays just the way it is. However, I have copper tape, and if the noise level on my unit rises, I will apply the tape. many others have done this, and it has worked.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
And still after being told time after time. The current SDS 200s are the same design as the 1st shipment with the mediation part installed. There was no redesign of the scanner.

I think you meant to say mitigation, and mitigation does not mean the problem had been resolved. It means they did the best they could with a bad situation.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I think you meant to say mitigation, and mitigation does not mean the problem had been resolved. It means they did the best they could with a bad situation.
Phone spell correction that I didn't notice. Stupid phone

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Joe_Blough

Current stock, which is supposed to have the fix installed at the factory, still has the hum. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.