SDS200 Hum Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
I think it was a product number at the beginning of the serial# and then the 260 that are the Vietnam factory and followed by the last digit of the year and lastly a digit that goes to 8 as the highest, that must be half a quarter of a year? So that 8 must be a nov-dec production date. It's possible that they manufactured something like 450 scanners in 2018 and the serial number continues from there in the beginning of 2019 with the next shipment.

/Ubbe
Mine is between 480 and 499....

m42duster

I see Universal Radio has removed the noise reference from the SDS200 product page.

Earlier, they made reference to the noise issue and the "ghetto" part, along with links to the videos. I wonder why?

m42duster

The noise is a hardware issue. You will NOT see any solid fixes for it until all affected serial numbered units are past their warranty.

JMHO

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Deleted a bunch of off-topic posts.

If you want to complain about Uniden's response or lack of response to this issue or others, please start a new thread or post to an existing thread in the Tavern.

Thanks.

Eng74

Anyone else not able to get the part to fit? I can not get both of the side tabs on the part to lock on. It is one side or the other. It is like the part is bigger than the space it is going into.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else not able to get the part to fit? I can not get both of the side tabs on the part to lock on. It is one side or the other. It is like the part is bigger than the space it is going into.

I didn't have any issues fitting it into the hole...:LOL:

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to post a picture of your issue, I'm sure some one on here will be able to help you out.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

upsmannj

Just have to say that I'm very disappointed in uniden. If you drop $700 on a scanner (CRAZY) but I wanted it. You would think it wouldn't have this problem:(. In any case the NMP200 is on order and should be hear next week.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I did notice the pulse or hum comes and goes when it comes it stays for a long time. I sent the radio in too see what’s up with it. It gets loud enough I have to turn off the radio. I’ll report back when it comes back.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I did notice the pulse or hum comes and goes when it comes it stays for a long time. I sent the radio in too see what’s up with it. It gets loud enough I have to turn off the radio. I’ll report back when it comes back.
Did you try turning off the AMP in settings?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I see Universal Radio has removed the noise reference from the SDS200 product page.

Earlier, they made reference to the noise issue and the "ghetto" part, along with links to the videos. I wonder why?

Most likely because they have new stock and the hum issue is no longer a hum issue with the latest batch of radios, therefore unworthy of mention. That would be my guess.

JD
kf4anc

m42duster

Oh, I'm sure they still hum. The "new" batch just has "ghetto" fix and firmware, just like mine.

The previous notation they added was a buzzkill for new buyers.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, if they are adding the part at the factory on the latest batch of radios, I would call that new stock. The part apparently should have been added in the first place (after a production line quality test) or the edges and fit manufactured with better specs. Things are not fixed? If not, I would not call the current inventory (anywhere) new stock. I believe if the radio had to be sent in and the fix applied, they should be sold as refurbished. IMO only. The question I pose is - was this a problem because the thickness of the chassis and molding was miscalculated? Or was a piece in the manufacturing process not included or mis-alingned? ( I read somewhere that a chassis clip was missing in some radios) Whatever the problem is (or was) is Uniden making it right with the 'new stock' currently being rec'd by retailers? The most important question would be, are the newer radios still humming? If not, I would say the 'new stock' is new and retailers should not have to post a product warning.

JD
kf4anc

allend

Premium Subscriber
More of a circuit design, I suspect.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Absolutely the problem is a circuit design flaw. If people say they do not hear the hum noise they have ear problems then. The firmware fix does not do anything. The extra part that Uniden sends to people for free helps a bit with the problem. Turning off the AMP fixes when its in idle mode but when the AMP opens up the problem still exists. Very Annoying. People keep saying that they got new batches of radios and Uniden has not gone back to the drawing board and re designed where the flaw is. So if you think swapping radios with newer serial # is going to fix the HUM noise, it's not happening. Buyer beware if you want to spend 700.00 bucks for a Hummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.