SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 - Possible to only scan P25 system while on travel with GPS?

DDFiler

I’ve owned the SDS200 for a few months and use it often when on the road. I haven’t been able to figure out if it’s possible to set it up to only scan for P25 systems when traveling. I presently have the radius set to 10 miles, letting the GPS monitor the relevant channels as I pass through. When on travel, my routes are often not pre-planned, and I’d rather not have to go through setting up a favorites list in advance each morning for all the locations I may be traveling through so as to only monitor the trunked systems.

Am I asking too much, or am I completely missing something? I’ve monitored this forum for years, but I was unable to find anything addressing this, so I finally registered to ask the question :) First post.

Thanks in advance, if anyone knows how to do this.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_7334.jpg
    IMG_7334.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 38

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, no.
The only way would be via favorite lists.
Or, possibly service types.

GPS is 'dumb' - it just tells the radio where it is and the radio then uses its programming to know what to scan, given the location.
The programming (FLs, etc) is what it uses to select what to scan.

DDFiler

Unfortunately, no.
The only way would be via favorite lists.
Or, possibly service types.

GPS is 'dumb' - it just tells the radio where it is and the radio then uses its programming to know what to scan, given the location.
The programming (FLs, etc) is what it uses to select what to scan.
Thanks! I was hoping the scanner smarts could overcome the gps dumbs :) I can just spend the mornings while on travel making favorites of the upcoming major trunked systems, and maybe expand the radius.

It sure would be nice if the scanner could have a setting to monitor trunked systems only while on travel. It seems like such an easy, useful setting.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I was hoping the scanner smarts could overcome the gps dumbs :) I can just spend the mornings while on travel making favorites of the upcoming major trunked systems, and maybe expand the radius.

It sure would be nice if the scanner could have a setting to monitor trunked systems only while on travel. It seems like such an easy, useful setting.

Put some thought into what you set your range at...
Remember... "the more you scan, the less you will hear"...

I use 0 personally.
Then again, my favorites are set up geographically - and I have every LE in 2 states programmed into FLs - and use rectangles.
So, the radio switches as I cross a state/county/city border.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I’ve owned the SDS200 for a few months and use it often when on the road. I haven’t been able to figure out if it’s possible to set it up to only scan for P25 systems when traveling.

You can set it to only scan P25 systems, if your into something extremely time consuming.

Go into the full database and set everything to avoid except p25 systems which would accomplish what you're looking. But again, very time consuming.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
You can set it to only scan P25 systems, if your into something extremely time consuming.

Go into the full database and set everything to avoid except p25 systems which would accomplish what you're looking. But again, very time consuming.
Can ProScan do this with its update utility against database? Scan for system types other than P25 and set avoid. Not sure, just a thought brought on by your suggestion.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Can ProScan do this with its update utility against database? Scan for system types other than P25 and set avoid. Not sure, just a thought brought on by your suggestion.
Looks like ProScan will help but might not get you all the way there. I see you can set all conventional systems in database to avoid (by state), but I didn't see any way to update the database to avoid just non-P25 trunked systems.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Easiest way to start is to go into Sentinel and avoid all nationwide systems, avoid all statewide systems that aren't trunked, and then move on to county/city systems if you want to get in really deep. After that, you create a favorites list, append to it, and delete anything you don't want.

Best way though, is to use Proscan, or ARC536 to import EXACTLY what you want into a favorites list.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Looks like ProScan will help but might not get you all the way there. I see you can set all conventional systems in database to avoid (by state), but I didn't see any way to update the database to avoid just non-P25 trunked systems.

I just pitched the suggestion to Bob. I have no Provoice near me so I never bought that upgrade but it would be nice to be able to avoid all Provoice when I travel and use the full database on my 436. I have zero upgrades in my 200 other than the waterfall. It is annoying when traveling having to hit avoid each time the scanner locks onto something the scanner won't decode due to not having the upgrades for that flavor of digital.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

I just pitched the suggestion to Bob. I have no Provoice near me so I never bought that upgrade but it would be nice to be able to avoid all Provoice when I travel and use the full database on my 436. I have zero upgrades in my 200 other than the waterfall. It is annoying when traveling having to hit avoid each time the scanner locks onto something the scanner won't decode due to not having the upgrades for that flavor of digital.

Look for it in the next release. I did a test just now on the HPDB. "Provoice" is nowhere to be found in the 115 or so hpd files(other then 10 channel names).
I didn't do to much work on the UI so that may change.

{edit} Provoice can be obtained from the RRDB sType and sFlavor so I will do the same to the RRDB Import after the Modify Uniden Database is complete.

These are all the trunking types and counts in the HPDB
DmrOneFrequency - 294
Edacs - 67
Ltr - 1150
Motorola - 375
MotoTrbo - 2093
Nxdn - 336
P25Standard - 784

Untitled.png

Last edited: