Selfridge/ Willow Run airshows 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piston52Heavy

I was on the base Sunday, as well.
Had a great time, one of the best airshows I've been to in a while. (And all the best have been on AF bases - hmmmmmm.....)

Getting in was no trouble; We came from the south, exited at N. River Rd. The terrain inside the construction gate they had us enter was interesting, but not a problem. Getting OUT on the other hand... got in line to go back to the south gate, and....... didn't move. At all. I looked in the mirror several times & noticed that the line to the Main Gate was moving pretty steady; several others noticed, too; so we turned around & flowed pretty steady to the north gate. Near the BX they put half of us in the left turn lane & ran 2 lanes out the gate. Total 45 minutes from getting in the car to going through the gate, but not complaining, because we got to see more of the base that way. (There's a part of me that really misses living on base.)

Hadn't seen the T-28's in quite some time; they came to Battle Creek years ago. Love the sound of those engines! I suspect that what the F-35 did was meant to kind of fill in for the missing F-4. I'm really bummed about that, too; was really looking forward to seeing a Phantom fly again! Nothing like an F-4 afterburner takeoff to get your cardiovascular system upshifted and check the adhesion of your dental fillings.

The last time I went on the base for an air show was back in 2007. We left early and it still took over an hour to get out! As much as I like to look at the aircraft on display, I refuse to get involved with that mess again. Congrats to Selfridge on 100 years!! A lot of aircraft history there - F-100s, F-101s, F-106s, F-4s, A-7s, F-16s, A-10s, P-3s and C-130s. Am I missing any?

Xray

KC-135, I believe they had KC-10's for a while too.
I know they had F-86's and even Mustangs, a bit before our day though, your list sounds about right back to 1970 or so. Gotta say, don't remember the Voodoos but I remember the F-100's and F-106 as a kid, and was thrilled beyond words when they transitioned to F-4's.

Some may not be aware but Selfridge is in serious contention to get F-35's, has made the final cut of 5 bases, 2 of which will be chosen soon. Among those 5 it is the only base that is pure military, the rest are civilian joint use, so many are thinking it is a shoe-in for the pick.
But politics of course will be heavily involved and those other bases might have better lobbyists and connections, who knows.

Selfridge making its pitch for new F-35 fighter jets during tour this week

Last I was in was 2007 too, I remember I took my daughter who was about 12 at the time.
Got off on 21 mile before 11am and the line was horrendous, took over 3 hours to reach the base.
[I had already been going to Sugarbush before this but I wanted to take her on base to see a tank display they had, she had a strong interest in military and in fact joined USMC right out of high school].

Anyhow, by the time we got on base the Blues were literally in the air, I was disgusted. About 8 cars behind me they shut the gates, I could hear guys saying WTF ? I waited 2 hours to get on base and now you are going to turn me back ?
People were enraged and with good reason, I felt bad for them, but Selfridge had no choice. They had to cut it off as they would soon be using all lanes for egress.
Getting out wasn't bad at all, only because we stayed a couple of hours to check out the ground displays at least.
I vowed "Never Again !" and so far, have kept that vow.

But all in all, the main factor that keeps me off base is the far superior view of flying aircraft, just no comparison.
Back in the days before 9/11, you used to be able to haul coolers on a wagon packed with water, pop and lunch meat. When they banned coolers that was another factor souring me off bases, and not just Selfridge.
Ypsi can be as bad or worse, and you pay through the nose for it too.
Last time I went inside there the crowd line was actually on hot cement, people were almost passing out and cramming into what little shade was available.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
The last time I went on the base for an air show was back in 2007. We left early and it still took over an hour to get out! As much as I like to look at the aircraft on display, I refuse to get involved with that mess again. Congrats to Selfridge on 100 years!! A lot of aircraft history there - F-100s, F-101s, F-106s, F-4s, A-7s, F-16s, A-10s, P-3s and C-130s. Am I missing any?

Curtiss JN-4 Jenny. They had one of those there. It was the first aircraft assigned to Selfridge. Does the Coast Guard Dolphin count? My son got one of the posters that has an image of every aircraft ever assigned there; don't remember what all is on it, and I'm at work right now.

And as far as getting in & out, my wife's best friend grew up just east of the base golf course. She remembers walking to the airshow, schlepping their lawn chairs, cooler, etc. down N. River Rd. I'm sure they got home before anybody who was driving. And since her parents have passed, the house has been unoccupied; I toyed with the idea of asking her about "borrowing" it for the weekend.

(Side note: The AF Museum at Wright-Patterson has a nice tribute display to Lt. Selfridge.)

Piston52Heavy

I couldn't remember if Selfridge had the F-86 back in the day. I forgot about the Coast Guard H-65s. I could be wrong, but years ago, I thought there were some UH-1 Hueys buzzing around. Now we have the Chinook. Hopefully in the future, we can say, "There goes an F-35!"

Xray

Here is the pilot himself explaining why the F-35 didn't do anything but flat passes at the show:

When pressed about why the Air Force F-35A’s have not flown aerobatic displays in the U.S. as seen this summer in Paris, France when an F-35A performed a demo with a company pilot, Lt. Col. DeAngelis told us, “Right now we are focused on combat capability. We’re an operational combat squadron. We’ll do Heritage Flights, but we’re focused on finding and destroying an enemy. The aerobatics, right now, Lockheed has that covered. But I think eventually as the program matures we’ll probably train up a demonstration pilot.”

https://theaviationist.com/2017/08/...nniversary-and-fly-with-special-colored-a-10/

Xray

They do have trained/qualified F-22 pilots for demos at airshows, pretty sure the Raptors there weren't part of that.
[They were in Chicago that weekend]

Almost wish they'd go back to the F-15 for the demos, they seemed to go to more shows and did more.

Piston52Heavy

They do have trained/qualified F-22 pilots for demos at airshows, pretty sure the Raptors there weren't part of that.
[They were in Chicago that weekend]

Almost wish they'd go back to the F-15 for the demos, they seemed to go to more shows and did more.

Agree. We have to remember all of this stuff has to be approved by top brass.

Vark111

F35-That was a good article Xray about why they don't have a demo team. The explanation makes sense. They spent a ton of money on the F35, and it is years behind schedule. Hard to justify slowing down getting them operational just so guys like us can enjoy them at airshows.

Traffic- Unfortunately at almost every airshow I go to, it is a better experience when I watch it from the "hideaway spot" the local folks know about than it is when actually going into the show itself. I kind of feel bad about this since I like to support airshows, but with increased security issues, and parking lot snarls it is just a better day when I watch it from outside the airport.

BKL/YIP- Bummer that Cleveland, and Willow Run are the same weekend. Cleveland has always been on Labor Day weekend, and now Willow Run is too. I suppose there could be a weather scenario where Cleveland would be a washout, but Willow Run could have good weather. If that is the case, I will head to Willow Run. However, most likely I will have to miss it this year. I live relatively close to Cleveland. This might be the first year I can remember that I won't see the Blue Angels.

Xray

Yep, makes perfect sense why they won't let just any pilot perform low altitude acrobatic maneuvers in front of crowds, and why any pilot who does so must be trained and certified specifically for that.
That said, I think a couple of nice high speed runs in burner would have been nice, and something any F-35 pilot could easily ans safely do.

Cleveland has had a lock on labor day Angels for a while, these airshows are in the pipeline a year in advance [Tbirds already released their 2018 schedule and will be at Ypsi next year]. No doubt there was some competition to get them and Ypsi won out this time.
I get the feeling Ypsi would have preferred to have them on another weekend since Cleveland is so close by but that was the only weekend they could get the Blues.
Both shows have a premium jet act, hopefully weather will be nice for both.

Vark111

Yes, hopefully the weather will be nice for both shows.

This was Cleveland's year for the Thunderbirds anyway. The Cleveland airshow is always on Labor Day weekend, and the Blue Angels, and Thundebirds alternate years. There were only two exceptions to this pattern that I know of. The air show was totally cancelled in 2013 due to the federal budget sequestration process, and back in the early 90s we didn't have either team because the headliner was a Russian Air Force MIG29.

Even on a Thunderbird/Cleveland year, I usually catch the Blue Angels at another air show. It is just an odd year for me. My son got married in June, and a couple of family graduation parties cost me a couple of weekends that I could have seen the Blue Angels. Oh well, there is always next year.

Xray

Ok on to Ypsi and thunder over Michigan 2017.

Here is my spot, you take 94 to Rawsonville exit. Get off and jiggle your way onto a William Ave for a short stretch, leads to a Mcgreggor Rd.
Take a right on that and it curves into Tyler Rd, which is pretty much a perimeter road on this side of the field.

You will see a field right at the end of the runway, thats the spot.
Ecorse is a great spot when the Angels are Tbirds aren't there, when they are they close it off, and I haven't found many decent options until I found this.

On practice days no one is there and its free, on show days they do charge, I think they wanted $20 but I offered $10 and they accepted. You can just park up the road from the field and walk there if you wanted to, I think they are glad to get whatever they can get, and I consider $10 reasonable for a spot like this.

Good news is, you have a premium spot for takeoffs and landings [last time they took off and landed the same way over this spot]. Extremely rare to get close takeoff access for BA like that.
Bad news is, they apparently fly the actual show off another runway to the right, which is a ways away.
You have the option to accept being a little distance away, or walk that way as far as you can get to be closer.

They have changed their flying patterns majorly at least 3 times over the years, so you can never be really certain exactly how they fly the show, I am going by what they did 2 years ago.

This is the best off base location I know of, if anyone else has others feel free to share.

I know pics here and dinky and hard to see, best to bring up google maps yourself and get the same view.
Red X marks the spot, yellow line the route.

Attachments

• ypsi.jpg
    ypsi.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 199

DougG2001

Xray you going to willow when they are arriving for the show or for practice?
I am taking my son out there on friday for the meet and greet with the blue angel team and then going to the show on Saturday.

Xray

Not sure about arrivals/practice, maybe someone else could fill in.

I am going to assume THUR practice and some flyins, FRI practice and many flyins.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Not sure about arrivals/practice, maybe someone else could fill in.

I am going to assume THUR practice and some flyins, FRI practice and many flyins.

It's my understanding the Blue Angels will arrive and practice starting this Wednesday.

73's

Ron

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Next year on August 25 - 26, the USAF Thunderbirds will be at the "Thunder Over Michigan" airshow at Willow Run Airport.

Xray

Sounds like a possible VIP flight ... Tempted to go tomorrow but 5 days is enough for me

Status
Not open for further replies.