Sentinel New profile issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melv7956

Have been using sentinel to program my SDS100 no issues, working fine but I wish to create a totally different profile for a different radio, so I click on the new profile icon in sentinel and it asks me for a name for the new profile, so I give it a name it opens up but it populates with all the contents for the original profile I created for the SDS100. I was expecting a blank profile to start from scratch with? Am I missing something? doing it wrong?

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
It does the same thing for my 436HP and all that does is make a copy the present profile but once you have the new profile & all of the profile settings!!! (I think that's how it is designed to work).

Once you have the new profile all you have to do is delete the old favorites and pick new freqs from the database & create new favorites... To me it makes sense since you are creating a new peofile for the same radio you would want the same profile setting, right?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Deleting a favorite list in any profile will delete if in all profiles. Toggle the download and monitor flags for the list instead.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It does the same thing for my 436HP and all that does is make a copy the present profile but once you have the new profile & all of the profile settings!!! (I think that's how it is designed to work).

Once you have the new profile all you have to do is delete the old favorites and pick new freqs from the database & create new favorites... To me it makes sense since you are creating a new peofile for the same radio you would want the same profile setting, right?

If you look closely, you will see there are differences. While still displayed, all Favorites Lists have Download and Monitor Set to Off. Editing the Profile itself you will see the opening screen is generic and just the "xxx Dispatch" Service Types have been turned on.

There are certain fields in a Profile that have to have some values for them for "things" to work, so Sentinel will populate them with something/anything.

And yeah, never ever delete a Favorites List unless you are absolutely, positively certain you will not have any use for it in any scanner. And then seriously consider exporting it to an HPE file before you delete, just in case you change you mind. After all, you created that Favorites List for some reason.

JoeyC

Its a really stupid design and makes it confusing to look at if you are trying to have different favorite lists in 2 or more scanners. If the profiles must share the lists, they should have included a means to hide those lists that you choose not to download or monitor instead of clustering them altogether in one and placing the on/off option on a completely different tab.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Its a really stupid design and makes it confusing to look at if you are trying to have different favorite lists in 2 or more scanners. If the profiles must share the lists, they should have included a means to hide those lists that you choose not to download or monitor instead of clustering them altogether in one and placing the on/off option on a completely different tab.
No, because if the lists get hidden when you turn them off, people will mistakenly think they got deleted, and will complain about that.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Its a really stupid design and makes it confusing to look at if you are trying to have different favorite lists in 2 or more scanners.

If you don't like how Sentinal handles multiple scanners I would recommend that you try Proscan or ARC536 and see if the way they handle favorite lists is more to your liking.

JoeyC

No, because if the lists get hidden when you turn them off, people will mistakenly think they got deleted, and will complain about that.
Yes, because they could have easily included a visual cue. Definately do-able, just wasn't thought of when they wrote the software and typical of Sentinel design folks who have no desire to make the software better.

JoeyC

If you don't like how Sentinal handles multiple scanners I would recommend that you try Proscan or ARC536 and see if the way they handle favorite lists is more to your liking.
Its not a problem to me. I program both scanners that use it exactly the same. Actually makes remembering what is where easier, but I see the point of people wanting separate stuff on different scanners.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

I've been using Sentinel for more than 10 years now. With all the Uniden SD card scanners I use and program for myself and others, I am currently working with 16 very different profiles. I use Proscan as well, but I've never found Sentinel to be confusing, or difficult to use at all.... quite the opposite.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes, because they could have easily included a visual cue. Definately do-able, just wasn't thought of when they wrote the software and typical of Sentinel design folks who have no desire to make the software better.

Well, Sentinel is a Uniden product. Uniden is a hardware manufacturer and not a software developer. I'd rather they improve/perfect their hardware and firmware than spend time on software.

You want software to do certain things, like the posts above, Proscan or Butel is your answer, because they are software developers. There was a time where Uniden did not provide any kind of software for their earlier versions of programmable scanners.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You don't have to go to the profile page to set download on or off, this option is available on the favorite's list page by simply right clicking on the favorite you want to download and select on or off, same with the monitor option.

JoeyC

You don't have to go to the profile page to set download on or off, this option is available on the favorite's list page by simply right clicking on the favorite you want to download and select on or off, same with the monitor option.
I'm aware. Doesn't eliminate the fact that you can't tell what is or isn't active from the list of systems on the left.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm a little confused. When Sentinel starts, you see a list of Favorites on the left. I think that's because it starts in the Favorites List editing "configuration" because Uniden thought there would be more Favorites List editing done compared to Profile editing.

Then all you have to do is go to the Profile Editor to see which Favorites Lists are active (with a new Profile none of them are).

I think it would be a pretty tall order to come up with software that will absolutely please everyone all the time.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
You don't even need to open the profile editor to see the status of all download/monitor settings for favorites in the current profile.

When Sentinel opens, just click and highlight the "Favorites Lists" header in the left window,

At that point, every favorites list is shown in the right window along with the "Download - Monitor" status for every favorites list.

Open Sentinel, one click..... can't get much simpler than that.

Last edited:

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You don't even need to open the profile editor to see the status of all download/monitor settings for favorites.

When Sentinel opens, just click and highlight the "Favorites Lists" header in the left window,

At that point, every favorites list is shown in the right window along with the "Download - Monitor" status for every favorites list.

Open Sentinel, one click..... can't get much simpler than that.

I didn't know that, Thanks for the tip!(y)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm aware. Doesn't eliminate the fact that you can't tell what is or isn't active from the list of systems on the left.
Not true. Right click on a favorite list, and you can easily see the Download and Monitor status of each list in the pop-up menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.