Sentinel Refuses to Write or Read to My New SDS200, and Won't Install on a Laptop Either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkerboard

For a Conventional system, the waiting time setting is under the Options tab for the system:
View attachment 109292

For a Motorola Type II system, the setting is under the Options tab for the site:
View attachment 109293
For a P25 system, the setting is not there since all transmissions are digital anyway. That would also be the case with DMR and NXDN systems, since they also are only digital transmissions.

Thanks Steve- I changed it to 1 second and that seems to be a perfect duration.

JimE60

Premium Subscriber
One of the many reasons I use this site, so many people willing to patiently help someone with a problem.

Checkerboard

This thread I began upon received my new SDS200 is evolving a little, as I encounter other issues that confound me!

Earlier, I followed the recommendation by some here to change the CTCSS settings on my Favorite lists from Radio Reference's pre-entered tones, to "Search Mode." My reason for this was that it seemed like certain LE dept. channels were way too quiet, when I knew they should be busier. Also, when I rotated the squelch control to "0", i.e. fully open, scanning wouldn't stop, but would continue until it landed on a single channel - the same one every time, 173.30. Search mode worked, in the sense that the manual squelch interrupted scanning instantly, and I was hearing more traffic.

Now, with all frequencies set to Search Mode, a problem has emerged with my main Sheriff Dispatch frequency, 152.72 It is the most important channel for me, and a busy one too. A loud audio distortion - tone and static- "overlays" and renders unintelligible the dispatcher's voice for the initial part of her transmission. It clears up after maybe 4 to 8 seconds. I don't hear the same distortion from my Kenwood 2 meter TM-V71A radio here in my office.

Occasionally, the scanner also stops on the Dispatch channel for maybe a second and plays a staccato, "machine-gun" burst of static - also unprecedented.

So, I am guessing the subaudible tone from the Sheriff Dispatch is getting detected by Search Mode, and somehow the search mode's processing is interfering with the audio for a brief time???

Is this a known issue? I am thinking about manually entering the CTCSS tone just for this channel to see if it alleviates it.

Thanks all once again, KM6U

Ubbe

Thanks Steve- I changed it to 1 second and that seems to be a perfect duration.
It does nothing to improve reception. It is only an audio muting in the speaker amplifier so that you can block the first part of a transmission while the scanner switches from analog to digital mode and spare your ears from listening to a short burst of digital data. I prefer to hear that data burst as it tells me that I can receive the transmission.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

Is this a known issue?
Yes. SDS scanners can easily be overloaded and there are also intermod products in the receiver, especially on VHF, and are the reason why all those filter settings where introduced. Try first to enable IFX to that frequency, Fn+7. And if that doesn't work then begin trying each of the different filter settings, Normal, Invert, Wide Normal, Wide Invert, Off. Easiest to do if you have set the frequency's department to use Global filter and change the Global filter settings in the Settings Menu. Then back out with the Menu button until you are back at the frequency. If you find a suitable filter then program that to the department and set the Settings/Global Filter back to Normal.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.