Setting up an IP Based TierII Network and Leasing Repeater Air Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

guzinmf_2017

Good Afternoon,

I work for a federal contracting company in FL, and as part of one our contracts in NC we are looking to set up a private TierII IPSC DMR Mototrbo network. The network would be fairly small, 3 - 5 repeaters with no more then 20 radios. Each person operating the radios would hold a Technician class license and the repeater owner would hold an Extra Class license. Would anyone on the forum be able to point me in the direction of any FCC licensing requirements to do this? As a commercial entity do we need special permissions and licensing, or are amateur licenses enough?

We are also looking to lease air time on a TierIII network in NC, specifically around the Wilmington area. Cap+ or Con+ would be acceptable and all operators of the handsets would hold technician licenses. Any recommendations for a vendor who provides this type of service would be appreciated. Thanks!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Can't mix ham with commercial.
That said, you're probably using licensed pairs already, so ham license has nothing to do with it.

I have nxdn relationships with NC on fleettalk. So i can bridge Fl with NC by talkgroup. JS

guzinmf_2017

Can't mix ham with commercial.
That said, you're probably using licensed pairs already, so ham license has nothing to do with it.

I have nxdn relationships with NC on fleettalk. So i can bridge Fl with NC by talkgroup. JS
Thanks for the reply!
So If I went the purely commercial route and filled out a 601 form to establish the repeater sites, would the users of the handsets be covered under that license or would they still need some type of individual licensing? Or would it be better to establish the repeater as an amateur user, in which case are their special licensing requirements for an amateur user to set up the repeater? As far as network goes, the whole system would be located in NC, no bridging between FL and NC.

richardbritt

Database Admin
FCC regulations Part 97 make it illegal to lease or in any way use the ham bands for pecuniary reasons. Period. You can't lease, sell, rent etc any repeater you erect on a ham radio frequency. see 97.113

guzinmf_2017

Status
Not open for further replies.