Sevier County Simplified

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
I have read through previous posts and to be honest, I just don't know the jargon deeply enough to know what the explanations are for Sevier County. I know there are mixed systems, I know some cannot be monitored, and I know there is change occurring there as we speak with agencies doing a variety of things. But here are my questions with, in mind, that I do understand trunking but I have only dealt with VIPER and 700 & 800 p25 systems here in NC (as well as the majority of systems still using old analog in rural WNC). I have no experience with some of the systems (LNR?) they are running over there.

1) Why are there some agencies that cannot be monitored? Why can't they be monitored?
2) I have the 996XT and experience using RR and FreeScan to program, how much success will I have and what might I hear from, say, Gatlinburg?
3) I've seen postings suggesting running searches. Why is it necessary to do a search when the current frequencies are listed in RR data bases?
4) Is there equipment out there that can help in monitoring this area?
5) Why is there so much incompatibility here? Is the completeness an advantage?
6)What would you recommend for me to do when I visit this area with what I have?

n4yek

I have read through previous posts and to be honest, I just don't know the jargon deeply enough to know what the explanations are for Sevier County. I know there are mixed systems, I know some cannot be monitored, and I know there is change occurring there as we speak with agencies doing a variety of things. But here are my questions with, in mind, that I do understand trunking but I have only dealt with VIPER and 700 & 800 p25 systems here in NC (as well as the majority of systems still using old analog in rural WNC). I have no experience with some of the systems (LNR?) they are running over there.

1) Why are there some agencies that cannot be monitored? Why can't they be monitored?
2) I have the 996XT and experience using RR and FreeScan to program, how much success will I have and what might I hear from, say, Gatlinburg?
3) I've seen postings suggesting running searches. Why is it necessary to do a search when the current frequencies are listed in RR data bases?
4) Is there equipment out there that can help in monitoring this area?
5) Why is there so much incompatibility here? Is the completeness an advantage?
6)What would you recommend for me to do when I visit this area with what I have?

1) It's not that they CAN'T be monitored, they are using NXDN trunking and no stand alone scanner can decode that.

2) Not much, Gatlinburg agencies use NXDN, about the only thing you will be able to monitor is the National Park Rangers on P25 conventional freqs, the UHF LTR Trunk system, 460.500 MHz central dispatch, Pittman Center Fire Department and all the businesses you want.

3) There isn't, what is in the database is correct, unless you have a scanner with a discriminator tap and a program called DSD Plus which has the capability to decode NXDN then you want to search between 454.01250 MHz and 454.66250 MHz to hear the NXDN trunk system.

4) If you have a Kenwood NXDN radio, it would do wonders.

5) Money talks and if you don't have money...oh well. County volunteer fire departments just don't have money to upgrade to the NXDN trunk system. They all went to the LTR system about 5 years ago just before NXDN started up and they don't have the money to do much more. Pigeon Forge decided to go with P25 Trunking, for what ever reason.

6) Listen to the park rangers Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference scroll down to Great Smoky Mtn - Tennessee and enter those freqs.
Listen to the LTR system: Land Air Systems Trunking System, Multiple, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies enter all sites except Cove Mtn, it was never built, and monitor the Voluteer Fire departments.
Fire Departments are paged out on freq 451.400 MHz pl136.5 Hz
Pitman center Fire Department can be heard from Gatlinburg on 453.7375 MHz pl 136.5 Hz

Or you could leave it at home and not worry about it... :)

Last edited:

jfhtm350

100% spot on. Maybe a Mod could make this a sticky. Sevier Co is confusing and this same question comes up constantly. Also I noticed there are no previous threads past the first page. Where did they go?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Stuck! Check your settings on the forums, as the default is a month, and since nothing has been posted in over a month, the rest are not showing.

jfhtm350

Some others that may be of interest:

UT Lifestar
Air Medical & State EMS Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
All 3 repeaters may be in range, but if not the Chilhowie rptr is the one closest or leave as CSQ. Lifestar always switches to whereever's fire channel for a LZ.

THP
Highway Patrol (THP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN) Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
Sevier is Dist1

Civil Air Patrol
Civil Air Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Ive never heard them but I know they fly sometimes.

Just a Plain Old Search:
You may find something no one knows about.

ccfd7031

Even with a NXDN radio, you can't passively monitor NXDN TRUNKING to the best of my knowledge. It requires certain keys before the radio will unmute.

n4yek

Even with a NXDN radio, you can't passively monitor NXDN TRUNKING to the best of my knowledge. It requires certain keys before the radio will unmute.

You can monitor it with a scanner and DSD Plus. With an NXDN radio all you have to do is put in the freqs and scan them without the RAN. Works just fine.
You can't follow the agency by trunking, but basically you are scanning in conventional mode CSQ (no tone).

Last edited:

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Couple new channels have shown up

Over the past few days, I have noticed 460.32504 and 460.1500 show up.
RR shows it as Sevierville car to car 'Digital'

I live a ways from Sevierville, so maybe I am just getting lucky.

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
Are they NXDN trunking or NXDN conventional, I have heard both. Now as far as I know you can't use a NXDN radio to passively monitor a NXDN trunked system BUT from a few sources I have heard that you can get an iCom iDAS radio and passively monitor a NXDN trunking system fine, however I have not tried it myself yet.

n4yek

Sevierville police are doing both, they are NXDN96 on their own freq of 460.075 and when on the trunk they are using encryption.
The sheriff, Gatlinburg Police and Fire, and the Ambulance service are trunking.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Glad to see this thread...I was looking in the db and getting confused. Seems they went crazy over there with multiple system types, etc. Anyway, at least I know it wasn't just me who was confused.

I'm planning to head that way in a couple of months for a week so I hope to at least try on the way over to see if I can hear anything. I'll be in the PF area so I guess I'll listen to their P25 system.

Also will try to see what I can hear on the TACN system as far as THP goes on my drive over...but that's another thread.

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
Alright thanks I was in Knoxville yesterday and programmed 4 conventional channels for them in my NX300 one set 12.5 and the other set 6.25 did really stop to see which ones they unmuted on but I could hear them well from Knoxville

n4yek

Alright thanks I was in Knoxville yesterday and programmed 4 conventional channels for them in my NX300 one set 12.5 and the other set 6.25 did really stop to see which ones they unmuted on but I could hear them well from Knoxville

If you program Sevierville City Police, 460.075, you will need to program that one freq for 12.5 kHz. All the trunk freqs between 454.0125 and 454.6625 MHz will be 6.25 kHz.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I have one question: how can 454.0125-454.6625 be the trunked system if those are CP radio service paging frequencies?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I have one question: how can 454.0125-454.6625 be the trunked system if those are CP radio service paging frequencies?

Your off on those freqs. 451-454 and 460-462 MHz covers the repeater sets for the TRS's...

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I knew something wasn't right with those. The incorrect ones are also posted in another thread so I'll make a note.

Status
Not open for further replies.