Shack/car/tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy1243

Spent the day doing a little tower work and finishing the install of the new AT-197/GR discone. I took the camera along today and got a few shots of some the radio gear. Here is a quick list of some the gear:

Tower: 45 foot Rohn 25G.
AS-1405 225-400Mhz Log periodic(modded for fixed installation and fed with RG-11 into a Angle linear 225-400Mhz preamp and turned by a Ham III rotor.)
AT-197/GR 225-400Mhz Discone(fed with RG-11 and has Harris mast mounted preamp.)
900Mhz yagi
PAR EF-SWL Longwire

Shack:
Pro 2045 X2
BC898T
BC9000
Pro-2006(opto-456)
Icom Pcr-1000
Racal 6790/GM HF
R-105A ARR-15 HF
Yupiteru MVT-225
Kenwood dual band HT
225-400Mhz tunable bandpass filter
CDE Rotor controller
a few pc's that run control software and recording audio
misc other wires and such all over the place :)

Car:

Antennas:
Comet 2M/440 1/4 wave
custom cut 300Mhz whip
Maxrad wideband antenna

Radios:
Yaesu 7800

Last edited:

Julian1

Wow! What an operation!! Noticing the three antennas on your car...do you multicouple into one radio or scanner? If so, what device do you use on your mobile antenna cables?
How do you like the performance?

Thanks for sharing pics of your successful rigs.
Julian

snikliw87

Wow that's a mind blowing install... only suggestion I have is to tie together some of those cords underneath the table. Very nice work!

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Great install! That discone looks beefy as hell. Your tower and cables are done perfectly.
Good job and thanks for sharing your photos!
Take care

xpawel15x

That is a nice ride my friend!! Did you have to drill holes through the trunk?

zguy1243

No I didn't drill any holes. The middle antenna is a mag mount and the two on the sides are lip mount NMO's.

xpawel15x said:
That is a nice ride my friend!! Did you have to drill holes through the trunk?

zguy1243

No I don't use any kind of a multicoupler. Just a switch to change the antenna that feeds the 7800. Of course the Comet is for transmitting on 2M or 440 and the I use the 300Mhz whip for milair listening.

Julian1 said:
Wow! What an operation!! Noticing the three antennas on your car...do you multicouple into one radio or scanner? If so, what device do you use on your mobile antenna cables?
How do you like the performance?

Thanks for sharing pics of your successful rigs.
Julian

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
What do u do for a living?
I love when sports cars have the antenna on the back whippin down the road
I really want to know, what do u listen to?

zguy1243

I have a A/V company. I install various higher end home audio video/automation systems. As far as the listening my main thing is military comms. I am a ham but not very active. If it transmits I'll listen, so just about anything. Here is a pic of my install van:

chrismoll said:
What do u do for a living?
I love when sports cars have the antenna on the back whippin down the road
I really want to know, what do u listen to?

Last edited:

SAR923

Very neat and professional looking with all three components. Pretty cool looking van too. I'm sure you have a lot of happy customers by the look of your work on the home and mobile installs.

CLTX11

Great looking shacks!!!

Do you have that remote head mounted on there, or do you just slip it in between the unit?
Just wondering cause its obvious the CD player is being blocked.

KC0QNB

Show off! lol, nicely done, I have no doubt that your customers are very happy with your work, if you spent that much time and money on your own stuff, I can't imagine the work you get paid for. Like the van paint job also, very cool!
I do have a question though was it a pain in the rear to get all those feedlines stuffed in that 1-1/4" or so pvc conduit?

Last edited:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Blanket / Bedsheet

Although I'm sure it's none of our business, what is the blanket / bedsheet covering up on the wall? I surmise it's family pictures or possibly sensitive information that you don't want disseminated over the Internet. Just curious....

Really nice setup, mobile & base; Happy Memorial Day!

EncryptionMan

K9WSS said:
Although I'm sure it's none of our business, what is the blanket / bedsheet covering up on the wall? I surmise it's family pictures or possibly sensitive information that you don't want disseminated over the Internet. Just curious....

Perhaps it is a window?

N8IAA

K9WSS said:
Although I'm sure it's none of our business, what is the blanket / bedsheet covering up on the wall?

Will, I'm guessing that it is a window.

ZGUY-how does that 7800 work on milair? I have an IC-2720 which does quite well, but, no alphatags.

Larry

Last edited:

zguy1243

It really wasnt that bad getting the coaxes in the conduit. I put the first 2 or so in there and then pushed a glow rod into the pipe and used it to pull more cables into the pipe. Just have to be careful.

KC0QNB said:
Show off! lol, nicely done, I have no doubt that your customers are very happy with your work, if you spent that much time and money on your own stuff, I can't imagine the work you get paid for. Like the van paint job also, very cool!
I do have a question though was it a pain in the rear to get all those feedlines stuffed in that 1-1/4" or so pvc conduit?

zguy1243

Its a set of windows. I work alot at that computer and the constant glare will give you a headache quick.

K9WSS said:

Status
Not open for further replies.