Simplest radios for MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
You can get cheap early model scanners. But their performance is not a good as modern scanners. I would seriously consider coughing up the cash for a fairly modern phase 2 capable model to ensure its prolonged usefulness. PII will be coming.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Their performance with simulcast is going to be questionable, though.

N8RDF

(vanity call, "Radio Direction Finder")
Premium Subscriber
It's not perfect but an old FM scanner (mine's a PRO2006) with a discriminator tap mod and DSD+ is one way I listen to MSP. I haven't tried my SDR dongle but that might be another option.

scanmanmi

the PRO2006 is not trunking. My wife listens to ONLY local fire on a BC145. Now they sometimes say 'going to 800'. I just need one fire and one or two police.

N8RDF

(vanity call, "Radio Direction Finder")
Premium Subscriber
the PRO2006 is not trunking. My wife listens to ONLY local fire on a BC145. Now they sometimes say 'going to 800'. I just need one fire and one or two police.
Agreed, but trunking is not absolutely required. Just scan all the trunked channels from the nearest tower, you won’t miss much. I use it this way all the time, but you’ll probably want a way to separate the scanner FM voice channels from the raw digital squawking (separate scanners, volume down for trunking/trunk bank off for voice, recording output channel control feature, etc. ) With no talkgroup filtering you may get more than you want. :)
Yes, IF simulcast is present (less likely outside major cities?) it’s more of a problem but even then I’ve heard directional antennas might help.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Will an XTL/XTS work? Yes, but even if you know what you are doing you are limited to scanning 16 talkgroups at a time, which can be pretty restrictive. I'm using an SDS-100 and it works great, especially with GPS attached. I travel up into northern Michigan every year for camping (well, maybe not this year...) and the SDS w/GPS is seamless. Works great.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes, IF simulcast is present (less likely outside major cities?) it’s more of a problem but even then I’ve heard directional antennas might help.
Directional antennas are only useful at a fixed location. Not so much if you're mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.