BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Single Frequency Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I'm having an issue with 1 single conventional frequency I monitor on my 436HP. The issue being a snapping noise. Almost sounds as if I have the priority set for 1 second on the radio and it's checking priority channel. I don't get this same noise on any other frequencies, or any other radios set to the frequency in question. I'd say this has been going on for a month or so.

I tried re-setting the scanner settings and adding all my favorites again from scratch. Still have the noise on that 1 frequency. It's as if there is a problem with the specific frequency, but the snapping noise is not present on other radios.

I thought I'd check and see if anyone else had a similar issue and found the problem. I'm stumped.

Thanks,

n4yek

I had a similar problem once, not with this particular radio. What I discovered was my popping noise was coming from another scanner. While it was scanning all programmed freqs, my other scanner was hearing it cycle through the lists. Every time it started it's scanning cycle, which took about 1 second to complete, my other scanner would pop on one particular frequency. It was an annoying issue that took me a while to find.
Just something to try...

wtp

sounds like the old...

turn everything off one at a time and see what happens.
computers, wifi, scanners, and by now toasters and fridges and remember some things have a built in battery the wifi here does.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions.

n4yek: I tried using only the 436 for the day today. No other scanners around. Still have the same snap on that single channel. Damn.

wtp: I tried turning things off, one item at a time. Got to the point where all my appliances and whole house power was turned off. Still have the same snap on that one single channel. Damn again.

These were great ideas. I thought for sure one or the other would find the cause.

Well, guess I'll just have to live with it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions.

n4yek: I tried using only the 436 for the day today. No other scanners around. Still have the same snap on that single channel. Damn.

wtp: I tried turning things off, one item at a time. Got to the point where all my appliances and whole house power was turned off. Still have the same snap on that one single channel. Damn again.

These were great ideas. I thought for sure one or the other would find the cause.

Well, guess I'll just have to live with it.
What's the frequency?
Any chance it (or a close enough adjacent frequency) could be used in an LTR, possibly Passport type, system in a location close enough to be heard, and what you are hearing is the periodic databursts?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
What's the frequency?
Any chance it (or a close enough adjacent frequency) could be used in an LTR, possibly Passport type, system in a location close enough to be heard, and what you are hearing is the periodic databursts?

500.6375 with a PL of 192.8 from this system Northampton County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Its the Ops-1 south channel. I don't think this is the case though. The 436HP is the only radio I have that has this issue.

mitbr

I know you have probably checked but check it again to make sure none of the priority features, wx alert or close call on, then check it again.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I know you have probably checked but check it again to make sure none of the priority features, wx alert or close call on, then check it again.

I did check. Also just checked again. The only priority enabled is the county alerting channel, set for 2 seconds. Still get snapping when I turn that off.

I can hold on any channel, no snapping. It's just one frequency.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
OK, just for giggles, I tried something I have never tried on a frequency. I enabled IFX on the troubled frequency. No kidding, the snapping is gone. I've read about IFX, although I'm not sure I completely understand it.

mitbr

The IFX feature allows the radio to shift the if freq slightly to avoid any inherent birdies in the radio.
I'm glad you fixed the problem have fun with your new radio.
Tim

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
The IFX feature allows the radio to shift the if freq slightly to avoid any inherent birdies in the radio.
I'm glad you fixed the problem have fun with your new radio.
Tim

Here is the question of the day. Can these birdies just show up one day? I've had the 436HP since early March, and this issue just started in the last month or so.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If they are an image of some other frequency that just started to be used, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.