• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Single Frequency Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireradio

I am just dipping my toe into the DMR waters, and I am extremely interested in the new "Single Frequency Repeater" (SFR) functionality offered by Hytera's PD982. This feature alone is making me consider heavily investing in Hytera for the "fleet" of radios I'm attempting to assemble. Has anyone had a chance to play with it?

I'm told that the PD982 is the only radio that offers this functionality, and that it is unlikely it will be included in any Hyetra mobiles, which is a real shame, because a mobile with this feature would be so perfect for my use case.

I'm also told that most other Hytera radios can utilize the PD982's repeater, has this been verified? I would only be able to afford one 982, so I need to make sure that the lower-tier radios, like the 362 and 682 would be able to use the SFR function.

I assume the SFR can pass encryption?

I have been dreaming of a low power, easily configurable and field-deployable DMR repeater for a while, and this feature is darn near perfect. Frequency agile - you can set up the repeater on any frequency you desire, and you never have to worry about tuning a duplexer! Brilliant!

Also, I haven't been able to find any "battery eliminators" for the PD982, which would be something I would like if I'm going to have the radio operating as a repeater for many hours so I can plug it into a DC power source rather than relying on the battery. Any leads?

Thanks!

I have used both PD682 and BD502 radios through a PD982 in SFR mode.
I will try encryption on Friday and get back with results, stay tuned.

I removed the antennas from the radios to verify they could not talk simplex and then turned on SFR and passed traffic both ways. I walked back towards the 982 so the radios could talk simplex but never heard any signal degradation like you would expect in analog mode with 2 RF signals hitting one radio. I don't know how the SFR works in that mode.

n1das

I own a few PD982-Ux radios. Great radio! How expensive is the license key to enable the feature? Is it per radio or does it cover multiple PD982 radios?

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I'm confused. Is this a very fast time-based switching between RX and TX? Would add to latency, but would work.

Radio isn't magic; simultaneous TX and RX can't work on the same freq in a very-near-field environment.

>>Okay, I'm confused.

This is only in DMR mode. Radio A xmts on slot 1, B is too far away to RX.
The 982 in SFR mode receives on slot 1 and repeats the same voice or data packet on slot 2.
B hears / decodes the traffic on slot 2.

Even if B comes into simplex range of A it does not act like an analog radio would with 2 signals
on the same freq, it keeps using the slot it heard first, so it still decodes slot 2 even though both slots have the same info.
If C was in simplex range of A it would RX on slot 1 even if it was also in range of the SFR.

I did a youtube video showing how this works but am having problems over dubbing the audio.
This is my first video so I have a learning curve with windows movie maker.
I hope to get it posted early this week.

Unication had something like this at APCO in Anaheim a few years ago but I never heard more about it.
They were waiting on FCC approval, maybe that never happened.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does anyone tried the PD985? I could not find many information online.

Status
Not open for further replies.