SIRN

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
2-008 Boone Co Simulcast

Something about site 2-008 "Boone Co Simulcast" has been bugging me for a long time. Is it really an LSM simulcast setup?

  1. Old documents would suggest 2-008 to be a single site (Madison on Workmans Knob).
  2. FCC license (Boone Co Ambulance Authority / Boone Co ERT) lists three sites -- all three which have the same site frequencies

    Foster (Drawdy Mtn)
    Madison (Workmans Knob)
    Kopperston (at the same location as 2-029 Kopperston)

  3. Kopperston has it's own site / license that is not part of any simulcast, 2-029.

That leads one to ask a few questions.... Would there actually be two sites (Foster and Madison) 2 miles apart but with the same exact frequencies? Would a third site of a Boone Co Simulcast actually exist in tandem as a separate SIRN site in Kopperston? Or was the initial thought simply a pipe dream and SIRN decided that seperate SIRN sites would serve Boone Co?

I'm thinking there is actually just one site in Boone Co (Workmans Knob).

Anybody with more knowledge care to chime in? I'd be interested in hearing some opinions. I figure nobody with absolute knowledge will reply -- if somebody knew differently, they would have already posted about it years ago.

Food for thought.

Mike

ADDENDUM: I received word that site 2-008 is definitely not a simulcast site. It's a single site located on Workman's knob, Madison would be it's name. At this point I'm unclear as to whether we will change this site name from "Boone Co Simulcast" to "Madison". Time will tell :)
 
Last edited:

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Ok cool. I know there is a tower registration application in at the FCC for a WVDHHR tower on Mt Storm. The tower registration was issued 1-25-2013. But so far SIRN hasn't submitted that it was constructed [which doesn't mean it wasn't constructed]. And I haven't seen any licenses for a site on Mt Storm being applied for. If I do I'll be sure to post.

Mike

I take that back. The FCC Antenna Registration does lists the site as having been constructed as of 7-24-2013.

ASR Registration 1286712

Mike
 

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Northern Panhandle SIRN

Does anyone know what the plans are for SIRN in the Northern Panhandle. Currently there is a tower and a license for Weirton, but it hasn't ever come online. There is a site in southern Brooke Co that I've always thought to be a part of the current Ohio Co Simulcast (3-001).

I also do know that this year there were license updates and additions that suggest multiple additional sites perhaps being added to the Ohio Co Simulcast -- from Moundsville, St Joseph and Cameron in Marshall Co and Weirton in southern Hancock/Northern Brooke. Those licenses all list the same freqs as are in use on the current Ohio Co SImulcast.

That leads me to believe that at least some thought is being given to extending the size of the Ohio Co Simulcast to basically cover much more of the Northern Panhandle, i.e. Hancock / Brooke / Ohio / Marshall.

Yes, I know Marshall already has active separate sites, but various license updates would suggest that possibly that may be changed so that those sites were part of one larger simulcast, essentially turning Ohio Co Simulcast into NPWV Simulcast or something like that.

Just wondering if anyone has a clue ?

Mike
 

ffemt25

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
290
Reaction score
1
Location
Short Gap, WV
TG 9781 active in my area. Unit 1 calling base asking about prices and something in the Greenbrier Valley area. unsure of what it is. had a good signal so I'm pretty sure its off of Keyser or Romeny tower.
 

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Unconfirmed SIRN Sites -- Periodic request for help

You all might want to take a look at the following map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=ztDnIlkXU3eA.kG8Qv4vp7_UM&hl=en

Red = Zone 1 active sites
Blue = Zone 2 active sites
Yellow = Zone 3 active sites
Black Circles = suggested up and coming SIRN sites
Black Stars = questionable licensed sites that may or may not become part of 3-001

As I always suggest, scanning for the existence of a new site should include scanning from 450 - 455 mhz and 460-465 mhz. Occasionally SIRN brings sites online (especially in the case of special need / emergency) using 454 mhz spectrum.

Here is a link to the currently licensed (but not confirmed active) sites. Please ignore 9107.

WVIRP Site Info (WV) - The RadioReference Wiki

If you live in/near an area where you see black circles on the map, you might want to consider checking to see if said site is online.

Mike
 

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
You all might want to take a look at the following map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=ztDnIlkXU3eA.kG8Qv4vp7_UM&hl=en

Red = Zone 1 active sites
Blue = Zone 2 active sites
Yellow = Zone 3 active sites
Black Circles = suggested up and coming SIRN sites
Black Stars = questionable licensed sites that may or may not become part of 3-001

Sorry about that map . I forgot to share it publicly. Everyone can see it now, should they be inclined to check it out.

Mike
 
Joined
May 30, 2009
Messages
550
Reaction score
1
Location
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Band Plan Question

I haven't been back home to Wheeling or West Virginia in a while so I was looking at the RR page and noticed a couple of changes since the last time I was looking at it. Like 2 newer frequencies for Ohio County, and I also see a Band Plan Chart that I don't remember seeing on the page. When I put in the system 2 years ago or so I downloaded it directly into my 396XT and 996XT using FreeScan. I checked out the Band Plan in the scanners and it looks nothing like the simple Band Plan that is being displayed on the main page for the State site. What I have in the scanner is something that looks like this......

0: 851.00625 / 6.25
1: 762.00625 / 6.25
2: 453.02500 / 12.5
3: 450.00000 / 6.25 there is no Offset listed in either scanner for this Band Plan.

Question is... will I still pick up transmissions with this Band Plan or should I delete it out and add the one that is showing on the RR page that looks like this....

1: 452.00000 /12.5 / 380
2: 460.00000/ 12.5 / 570
 

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
I haven't been back home to Wheeling or West Virginia in a while so I was looking at the RR page and noticed a couple of changes since the last time I was looking at it. Like 2 newer frequencies for Ohio County, and I also see a Band Plan Chart that I don't remember seeing on the page. When I put in the system 2 years ago or so I downloaded it directly into my 396XT and 996XT using FreeScan. I checked out the Band Plan in the scanners and it looks nothing like the simple Band Plan that is being displayed on the main page for the State site. What I have in the scanner is something that looks like this......

0: 851.00625 / 6.25
1: 762.00625 / 6.25
2: 453.02500 / 12.5
3: 450.00000 / 6.25 there is no Offset listed in either scanner for this Band Plan.

Question is... will I still pick up transmissions with this Band Plan or should I delete it out and add the one that is showing on the RR page that looks like this....

1: 452.00000 /12.5 / 380
2: 460.00000/ 12.5 / 570

For any scanner capable of monitoring P25, don't worry about custom bandplans for SIRN. The scanner will figure it all out. On some scanners you have to do nothing. On others you might have to set the system type to P25 Auto. But overall, any recent vintage Uniden or GRE product will automatically obtain the correct bandplan. The only exceptions to that rule, if they are exceptions at all, would be the RS PRO-96 / 2096.

Mike
 

ai4uk

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
Pike County, Ky.
Mingo County Airport

I can confirm that the new Tower at the Mingo County Airport is active. I'm hearing W.V. State police (Logan County) Dispatcher and receiving full strength. I can see the new tower from where I live. 453.5625 seems to be the primary channel in the group of frequencies. Will post more as I hear it.

Eddie / AI4UK
 

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
I can confirm that the new Tower at the Mingo County Airport is active. I'm hearing W.V. State police (Logan County) Dispatcher and receiving full strength. I can see the new tower from where I live. 453.5625 seems to be the primary channel in the group of frequencies. Will post more as I hear it.

Eddie / AI4UK

Eddie,

Can you confirm for me that it is identifying itself as RFSS/Zone 2, Site 20 ( 2-020 )?

Thanks,

Mike
 

mtindor

FMP24 PRO USER
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,296
Reaction score
3,554
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
I will try to get that info for you.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. I appreciate it . I would expect it to be 2-020, but since the time I had obtained the list of IRP sites and their associated RFSS-ID information, things have changed and more sites are planned or have been built. So in the end it may be something other than 2-020.

I added it to the RR DB as 2-020 though.

Mike
 

ai4uk

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
Pike County, Ky.
Re: SIRN 2013

I've had the new mingo co. airport Frequencies plugged in my Home Patrol for a while, and noticed tonight they came alive. LOL

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
 

iceman977th

Mess with the Bull. Get the Horns.
Banned
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
486
Reaction score
124
Location
Catlettsburg, KY
Mason County EMS, Mason County Sheriff, Point Pleasant PD, Mason PD, Hartford PD, WVSP, WV DNR and New Haven PD have all moved to WV SIRN. All will use conventional when digital is out of range.

Everyone has 2500 series Motorola's

MotoTRBO was just a private repeater for MCSO but was never fully functional and abandoned.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea TG's? Only ones in the DB are for EMS. I knew they had switched to P25, when I was working a show there, PD and EMS showed up for an unresponsive male, and they all had XTS2500's on their sides.
 

ai4uk

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
Pike County, Ky.
Monitored the following on the Mingo County Airport Tower (Williamson):

Just heard Mingo County (912) give Lincoln County Emergency Services a radio check.
Talk Group 4351
 
Top