Site Neighbor numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrossemt

When looking at the site information for a county (Huron), it gives the Site Neighbor numbers. In this case for Huron County, they are listed as site 111, 112, 113, 212, 213, 216. How do I determin the countys that these numbers indicate? Such as site 111 or site 213, which county would that be?

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Just look at the database; each site has a number assigned to it. They are listed in numerical order. Just look for site 111 or 213 and it will tell you where those sites are.

hrossemt

DRDISPATCH, thats where I'm confused. When I look at the database, I see each county has a site number. But the neighbor site is not the same number as any of these. Sorry if I'm missing something thats right in front of me. In Huron County, the database states the site neighbors as 111,112, 113, 212, 213, 216. But if I look at the database site number for lets's say Tuscola County thats next to us, Tuscola County has a site number of 016 (10). I'm just not seeing where the site neighbor numbers are coming from. I'm not sure which county is number 111,112, 113, 212, 213, 216?. I know I'm going to feel stupid when this is all figured out.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
First there are 2 sites in Huron County, Elkton and Halfway Corners, it would help to know which site you are monitoring. If I understand the site numbers correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong, site 111 would be Sterling in Arenac County. The way I came up with this is I first looked in the RFFS column for the first 1 in the site number. I then looked at the site column, dropped the leading zero, and found 11. The numbers in the parenthesis in the site column appear to be hex representations of the numbers outside of the parenthesis. If I'm right then Halfway Corners is shown as a neighbor so I would guess you're monitoring Elkton.

hrossemt

SMITHKEN. Going with your information, are all the counties that have lets say, site number 012 (C), a neighbor site for Huron County? If I'm taking your information the correct way, 012 (c) would be site 112? I see on the database that 012 (C) is used as a site number for Iosco, Huron, Branch, Alpena, Mackinac and Gogebic county.
I'm in Bad Axe, about the middle between the two towers and monitor both the towers, Halfway Corners and Elkton. When the control channel comes up on the scanner it tells me which tower is being used. 50 / 50 I would guess, depending where the car is thats transmitting.

hrossemt

SMITHKEN, disregard some of the above post. I see where I need to factor in the RFSS number to come up with the correct county. Thank you so much for the feedback everyone, I was just sort of lost on how to find the county that goes with the site neighbor number.

a29zuk

A few years back the database did not have the RFSS number for each site. The site number was just a three digit number combining the RFSS number and the two digit number, i.e. 112 was Oscoda, 212 was Halfway Corners, 312 was Coldwater. Myself and other members still use the old three digit numbers.
Here is a map I made up with the old site numbers:

Attachments

• MPSCS_site_map2.pdf
    437.1 KB · Views: 174
I believe the OP is asking something that I my self ask from time to time, and that is... what makes up a "Neighbor" and what does not and why can a site next door, not be a neighbor but yet at the other end of the state is a neighbor.
I believe it is in the programming on the system, 1 county next to another county wont necessarily be a neighbor or be very close in Site IDs. Hope this helps and doesn't make it more confusing.

hrossemt

A few years back the database did not have the RFSS number for each site. The site number was just a three digit number combining the RFSS number and the two digit number, i.e. 112 was Oscoda, 212 was Halfway Corners, 312 was Coldwater. Myself and other members still use the old three digit numbers.
Here is a map I made up with the old site numbers:

Great map! Thank you so much for posting it.

a29zuk

Thanks....heck I didn't even have one of the examples used in the earlier post on the map. So I added site 312 in Coldwater and here is an updated file:

Jim

Attachments

• MPSCS_site_map2.pdf
    511 KB · Views: 136

hrossemt

Should I have the control frequencie for the site neighbors programed into the county I'm monitoring? In Huron County, one of the site neighbors is Iosco County. Should I have the control frequencie for Iosco programed in with the Huron County control frequencie?

a29zuk

Should I have the control frequencie for the site neighbors programed into the county I'm monitoring? In Huron County, one of the site neighbors is Iosco County. Should I have the control frequencie for Iosco programed in with the Huron County control frequencie?

No you won't need them to monitor your local county if you are just monitoring at home. I believe neighboring sites broadcast the main dispatch ID's of your county. For example, if you were driving toward Saginaw on M-46 past Caro(site 216) and the signal from your site(212) was not receiveable anymore, you could still hear your local main dispatch ID off of the Caro site. You should also be able receive the main dispatch ID's(police,fire,EMS) from Tuscola County and your other neighboring sites from your local site.

Jim

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Not to confuse you further, but if you are monitoring only 1 site, & there are no radios affiliated with that site on the TG you are monitoring, but they are affiliated with another site, you will not hear their traffic. The system only transmits a TG on a particular site if there are radios affiliated with that site tuned to that TG. Also, if the site you are listening to goes into "site trunking" mode, you will hear even less; unless you are monitoring surrounding sites.
So if you want to make sure you hear everything that your county is saying, program in the CC's for sites that cover any portion of your county, as long as you are or will be in a location to receive them. Look at the coverage map on the individual site page, & it will give you a rough idea of that site's coverage area.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
As of Sunday 5-18, everything is status quo and still operating with the old LTR system. Not sure what changes will take place regarding new frequencies, tower locations, TGID’s if any will be used?

Yep, I'm in Bay City but with my outside antenna I can still get maybe one bar signal from huron on the current setup.
Per the Huron paper article it wont be till sometime after memorial day. In the last month though I pickup on 854.3375 digital sounds not heard before in the years I had huron programmed in, maybe skip, sounds like the IIi system from Lansing.

My findings here are that the surrounding towers for any county will carry the main dispatch talkgroups, but proprietary ones, car-car, fire station admins, may or may not.
For me if I tune in my 996t off the outside antenna, tuscola county I can hear jail ops, ambulance, but if I use bay counties 853.8 I only hear the fire, pd dispatches not much more.

hrossemt

Think this will be my last question for the site neighbor numbers. I also monitor Tuscola County. I see in the database that one of the site neighbors for Tuscola is 215 but I don't find 215 in the database. I know Tuscola had two towers at one time and I think they still do. The Caro tower and the Mayville tower. Would 215 be the Mayville tower? And if so, can anyone tell me if the two towers are using the same CC's frequencies (853.96250)? I know in Huron County, one tower uses one frequencie and the other tower uses another. 853.83750 and 853.98750.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
There is no Mayville site in the database, Caro is the only Tuscola County site. I also looked at Lapeer County since Mayville is close to the border of Tuscola and Lapeer counties but there is no Mayville site. I also checked the Lapeer County Simulcast and Saginaw County Simulcast sites and there are no towers anywhere near Mayville.

Unless two, or more, nearby towers are part of a simulcast system they would not use the same frequencies. Caro is not a simulcast site and Mayville is much too close to use the same frequencies if a Mayville site existed.

a29zuk

I was wondering about that, too. But I believe 215 was the number of the old Columbiaville tower in Lapeer County. It ended up being used for the Lapeer Simulcast. I'll have to check to see if I have an old database or map to verify that site number.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.