• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Site Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
So, for those of you that use your Unication, does anybody here choose to NOT permit Site Trunking?

If so, why not?

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Site trunking is when a site or sites in a trunked system become isolated from the system controller (usually because whatever is connecting the site to the network - fiber, copper, satellite, microwave, etc - goes down, or is deliberately shut down). They're still operational as individual sites, but cannot communicate with the rest of the network. So if for example unit A is on site 1 and unit B is on site 2, and site 1 goes into site trunking, the trunk system and even the talkgroups the users are on will still appear to be functioning, but unit A and unit B won't hear one another.

How this applies to a one-way pager receiver is something I'm not able to answer. Perhaps "de-selecting site trunking" means that the receiver will not monitor a site that is in site trunking mode.

Copied from this thread: Site Trunking

I never used it on my G4 myself

N6ML

The PPS help says:

"P25 Trunking System ● Site Trunking
  • Definition
    Enable/Disable the Site Trunking.
  • Options
    1. Disabled: Site trunking not allowed. Only wide-area- trunking is accepted during the control channel scanning (Default)
    2. Enabled: Both site trunking and wide-area-trunking are accepted."

I wonder if disabling it makes it try to find another site (within the same system) if the "best" (strongest) site is in site trunking mode. I can't think of any other reason to disable it.

N6ML

Nope, because you are still receiving the site that’s in Site Trunking.

Not sure if that was addressed to me? If it was, I'm suggesting that that's perhaps what happens when the site trunking is *disabled* (for a system).

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Sorry, scrolling and copying and pasting on this damn phone...it was addressed to Remington12G’s comment of “receiver will not monitor a site that is in site trunking mode”....it does still monitor it but it’s a little more than that....

From my discussions with Unication, if the box is CHECKED and a site goes into Site Trunking, the unit will still check to see if another site on the same System is in range and is NOT in Site Trunking...if it finds one and it meets the RSSI threshold, it will lock on to that site. If it does not, it will display SITE TRUNKING in a red banner on the screen and remain on the site in Site Trunking. If the box is UNCHECKED, it will still look for a site NOT in Site Trunking within range...same as above. HOWEVER, if it does not find one, the unit will ignore the site in Site Trunking and go OUT OF RANGE, until of course it finds one that meets the RSSI threshold again (and not in Site Trunking).

So it doesn’t “technically” ignore the site. It just says “hey, I see you and you meet my RSSI threshold, but I’m not staying here because you’re not connected to the others. I’m going to keep looking for one that is.” Make sense ?

Now the reason for checking vs unchecking is a bit of what you want to do. If you are NOT in range of another site on the same system and it’s unchecked, then you won’t hear a thing because your telling the unit to forget that site until it’s connected and you can’t lock on to another site. Now if it’s checked, then you will at least hear the traffic on that site even though it’s in site Trunking.

Last edited:

N6ML

Intuitively, I want to say it'd be better to hear the site that's in site trunking mode vs. not hear anything at all, so why would you want to disable it? ... but OTOH, given that it is a pager, perhaps it's considered better to go out of range vs. give the user a false sense of security (assuming pages may not be deliverable if the site it cut off from the rest of the world), so it does kinda make sense.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It's really going to depend on the system and dispatch resources.

@Remington12G described what causes site trunking is the same way I would describe it (also, a site in site trunking will let any SUID register and any TGID affiliate as it has no way to confirm whether or not they are valid).

In operation, if P25 SU with a standard roaming profile will avoid site-trunking unless no other option is available. That means as soon as a site announces site trunking, all of the currently affiliated radios will perform an adjacent site scan and try to roam to another site (if possible). Those which can not find another side will remain.

That knowledge may help with deciding whether or not disabling site trunking on a G series pager may be appropriate or not.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
From my discussions with Unication, if the box is CHECKED and a site goes into Site Trunking, the unit will still check to see if another site on the same System is in range and is NOT in Site Trunking...if it finds one and it meets the RSSI threshold, it will lock on to that site. If it does not, it will display SITE TRUNKING in a red banner on the screen and remain on the site in Site Trunking. If the box is UNCHECKED, it will still look for a site NOT in Site Trunking within range...same as above. HOWEVER, if it does not find one, the unit will ignore the site in Site Trunking and go OUT OF RANGE, until of course it finds one that meets the RSSI threshold again (and not in Site Trunking).

So it doesn’t “technically” ignore the site. It just says “hey, I see you and you meet my RSSI threshold, but I’m not staying here because you’re not connected to the others. I’m going to keep looking for one that is.” Make sense ?

This is basically how actual subscriber radios work. In a site trunking situation, preference is given to sites which are in "wide-area" mode; if the site a radio is on suddenly goes into site trunking, the radio will start looking for another site which is still in wide-area. If it can't find one where the RSSI is within limits, it stays with the site that's in site trunking.

Radios around here are set up with a "site trunking" zone containing a limited number of talkgroups; if the system has a major brain cramp and the network drops completely, everybody switches to the site trunking zone, which forces all talkgroups to a single site so everybody can still talk to one another.

I've got my Unication G5 set up to operate like a real radio; seems to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.