sites

gambill1

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
165
Reaction score
8
when I program my scanner what would be best. to leave all the sites selected on or to just select the sites for the area's I am scanning? I have scanners done both ways for now, but what would be better or does it matter.
 

gambill1

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
165
Reaction score
8
Thanks for the input. I guess when it starts getting colder here and I stay inside more I will reprogram the older ones.
 

Ubbe

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
11,132
Reaction score
4,800
Location
Stockholm, Sweden
when I program my scanner what would be best.
I would set the scanners GPS coordinates manually, or use zip code, to your location and enable location controlled scanning. That way you will only be scanning the sites that are the closest, depending of what you set the range to in the scanner. Then if you want to scan all sites you just disable location controlled scanning for a favorite list, or if you want to monitor from another location you enter another zip code or GPS coordinates to make the scanner switch to scanning other sites.

I you don't have location controlled scanners then just step thru the sites on the scanner and permanent avoid them that you do not want to scan.

Usually it only scans control channels and if it cannot receive that site the squelch will not detect any signal and the site are skipped in 10mS as in normal scan speed, for a Uniden scanner. It might behave differently using other scanner brands, as there might be patent issues, but why have sites enabled that you will never use.

/Ubbe
 

Whiskey3JMC

Surfer of the Delaware Valley Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
10,787
Reaction score
9,529
Location
Simulcastylvania, TE
Don't waste time programming & scanning sites out of range to you if you have no intentions of visiting the coverage area of said sites. Keep it simple & program only what you need
 

phask

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,824
Reaction score
689
Location
zanesville
Agree - don't scan garbage.
One thing I learned: if it's a favorite list that you update or mod by appending, avoid the sites. If you don't, when you do an append, they will all be reloaded.
If it is a one-and-done list - delete, or avoid.
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
3,356
Location
Southwest, IL
I'll only mirror here what others have said, there is absolutely no point in scanning sites you cannot receive or do not travel there with some regularity. I'll be honest I hated the way Uniden did that to the point that the only reason I use Sentinel on my remaining scanner that uses it is for updates. I use @ProScan for that scanner as well as a 996XT. Then I can pick and chose what I want on the scanner and lists much easier and it's saved a lot of headaches. I was missing so much prior to learning how to correctly program my scanner I almost couldn't believe it.

Yep bottom line, stop scanning stuff not in range and, to that end put what you want in a favorites list and forget the other stuff.
 
Top