Skywarn Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
Are Skywarn Spotters allowed to have amber lights on their vehicles? Or Does it go by state?

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
In most places, anyone can have amber lights on their vehicle, but you can't drive around with them on. (Check your local laws on this) You could use them if you're pulled over on the side of a road, but really you should avoid making yourself a hazard and you won't need them.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Every State will have different amber light laws. Please Google search the area your interested in and I think you will find the true and legal answer. Raven is correct, your best bet is to not put yourself in danger to begin with. To me, that's smart storm spotting.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

I would think the answer is no lights, but check with your local group at http://skywarn.org/local-skywarn-groups/. Your county OEM would probably be a resource too. HTH.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Amber lights, typically, are a general cautionary light. It has no special meaning, and is just to draw attention to the vehicle that could be disrupting traffic flow.

Sent via Tapatalk

N0IU

Gotta ask...

Why do you want amber lights on your vehicle?

With all due respect, a skywarn spotter is just an ordinary citizen who happens to have received a couple of hours (maybe?) of training in how to recognize certain weather patterns that could possibly lead to dangerous conditions. It does not give you any special privileges. You are not employed by NOAA to gather and report severe weather conditions to your local NOAA office. You are not covered by any insurance policy (other than your own) if you become injured or your vehicle becomes damaged as a result of your spotting activities.

One thing that is emphasized in every class I have attended is that you are NEVER EVER EVER to put yourself in danger. Taking a skywarn class does not qualify you or authorize you to be a storm "chaser" under any circumstances whatsoever.

For the definitive answer, you may want to contact Mary H. Senger, Emergency Manager for Burleigh County Emergency Management and Homeland Security.

Mailing Address:
221 N 5th St
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: (701) 222-6727.
Email: msenger@nd.gov.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
To be honest with you - no spotter really needs a light on there vehicles. There no need. Now some counties and state uses REACT weather spotters and want them to use green when parked at a car wreck or tree down, But just to be a weather spotter invest your money on computer equipment or ham radio gear. You will be using troughs more than anything else.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I understood green lights were reserved for incident command....

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Gotta ask...

Why do you want amber lights on your vehicle?

With all due respect, a skywarn spotter is just an ordinary citizen who happens to have received a couple of hours (maybe?) of training in how to recognize certain weather patterns that could possibly lead to dangerous conditions. It does not give you any special privileges. You are not employed by NOAA to gather and report severe weather conditions to your local NOAA office. You are not covered by any insurance policy (other than your own) if you become injured or your vehicle becomes damaged as a result of your spotting activities.

One thing that is emphasized in every class I have attended is that you are NEVER EVER EVER to put yourself in danger. Taking a skywarn class does not qualify you or authorize you to be a storm "chaser" under any circumstances whatsoever.

For the definitive answer, you may want to contact Mary H. Senger, Emergency Manager for Burleigh County Emergency Management and Homeland Security.

Mailing Address:
221 N 5th St
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: (701) 222-6727.
Email: msenger@nd.gov.

The OP just asked the question. I don't see anywhere where he specifically said anything about his intention to use said lights. He may have been wondering after seeing others with lights. No need to go FBI on him.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I understood green lights were reserved for incident command....

That is a standard, which is nonbinding. When I lived in the Seattle area, on-call firefighters used green lights on their vehicles, when responding to calls. (It has been a few years, and this practice might have changed.)

Sent via Tapatalk

N0IU

The OP just asked the question. I don't see anywhere where he specifically said anything about his intention to use said lights. He may have been wondering after seeing others with lights. No need to go FBI on him.

Because generally speaking, there is no reason for a Skywarn Spotter to have "said lights" on their vehicles why is why I asked why he wanted them in the first place.

phask

Premium Subscriber
That is a standard, which is nonbinding. When I lived in the Seattle area, on-call firefighters used green lights on their vehicles, when responding to calls. (It has been a few years, and this practice might have changed.)

Sent via Tapatalk

In Ohio green is only on ODOT Snow Plows.

Status
Not open for further replies.